Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I change from D to N every time a stop. This is an absolute requirement to perform a smooth stop in any car that has an automatic transmission or an EV that has creep. So, I for one, am VERY excited about the drive direction selector on the steering column.

I test drove a MB E350 this past weekend, and found it very intuitive to use. I did not have a problem with accidentally touching it. Now, the one thing that DID bother me was that the left hand stalk for the turn signal was uncomfortably/unfamiliarly low due to the cruise control stalk above it. I prefer the Toyota solution (stalk on lower right) or the GM solution (buttons on the steering wheel) for cruise control.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the car be smart enough to ignore a drive to reverse or park change while moving forward? Accidentally going into neutral wouldn't be great but but likely would be as dangerous.

Going into reverse in an electric car isn't any different than regen. You slow down then start going backwards. It doesn't happen instantly. Of course, Tesla may have made it behave like other cars and if you shift into R, you go into N, unless you are under about 7 mph.

Yup - one less thing to re-engineer. Hopefully, Model X and subsequent vehicles will have something Tesla-designed.

Anyone here have a Mercedes with this arrangement? If so, do you ever accidentally hit it while driving? I'd be especially interested to hear from AMG or owners who drive, shall we say, "spiritedly?"

My wife and I both have that same stalk on our cars. It's never been an issue. It's too far in front of the wheel to accidentally move it.

NO, NO, NO! It makes almost no sense!

The stalks on the steering column are for operations you want to perform while driving. Having controls on the stalks near the steering column let you adjust things like windshield wipers or cruise control or stereo volume while not taking your eyes off the road.

When you're shifting into D or R or P you're not moving. You can easily and safely take your eyes off the road.

But there are emergency manouevres which require shifting into neutral while driving. So if you're a well-trained-enough driver, I think the shifter actually qualifies as a while-driving tool. As do the headlights, of course (what the hell is Tesla thinking there?). As does the horn (not that anyone knows what the horn is for any more -- it's for alerting other drivers when you're going around blind corners, folks). And the wipers. And the defogger.

EDIT: and the four-way flashers. :) I have used those while driving so many times it's not funny.

As does the horn (not that anyone knows what the horn is for any more -- it's for alerting other drivers when you're going around blind corners, folks).

Yay, someone else besides me does this!

... my office has a NASTY parking garage. People drive like maniacs. When I am forced to use that garage, I honk my horn as I climb the ramps with the hopes that the crazies will hear me as they careen down.

EDIT: and the four-way flashers. :) I have used those while driving so many times it's not funny.

At least the hazards are on a hard button on the Model S... left of the touch screen.

/Mitch.

... my office has a NASTY parking garage. People drive like maniacs. When I am forced to use that garage, I honk my horn as I climb the ramps with the hopes that the crazies will hear me as they careen down.

We may need to use that horn a lot more often in a car that's going to be whisper-quiet. Alerting pedestrians (without freaking them out) or other cars in parking lots and so on.

Speaking of crazies, an ex-coworker of mine used to purposely tear down four levels in the office parking lot in his loud M3 just to set all the more-sensitive car alarms off! He's taken his act to Google now :)

Wait, I thought the headlights are on a stalk?

Headlights are controlled by the carputer. Flash and high beams are likely controlled from a stalk, though. Really, in a world of automatic headlights, I NEVER touch the headlight controls, and if I ever do, I will likely be stopped when I need to. I don't imagine that the controls being in the carputer screen will mean much to 99% of us Teslamaniacs out there.

I still don't see the need for that. It's not as if there is a rash of deaf people throwing themselves under the tires of ICE cars in parking lots. When I golf, I don't see anybody running people over in the parking lot with their golf carts (and that often involves drinking). The real issue is the perception that it is needed. If you put it on there, people will point to it as an obvious, negative differentiator of having an EV. Elon has the right idea. Acceptance requires familiarity so it should only have a regular horn and no pedestrian warning system.

I still don't see the need for that. It's not as if there is a rash of deaf people throwing themselves under the tires of ICE cars in parking lots. When I golf, I don't see anybody running people over in the parking lot with their golf carts (and that often involves drinking). The real issue is the perception that it is needed. If you put it on there, people will point to it as an obvious, negative differentiator of having an EV. Elon has the right idea. Acceptance requires familiarity so it should only have a regular horn and no pedestrian warning system.

Except I'm pretty sure people here that want that type of horn on the EVs think it should also be on ICE vehicles. They are not also not saying for it to make some kind of sound at low speed like the Volt does. What they are saying is to have a muted horn so that you can honk it to get the attention of pedestrian's that are not paying attention. A regular horn is meant for other driver's in cars to be able to hear at highway speeds. The muted horn would help not scare the crap out of the pedestrian.

-Shark2k

Except I'm pretty sure people here that want that type of horn on the EVs think it should also be on ICE vehicles. They are not also not saying for it to make some kind of sound at low speed like the Volt does. What they are saying is to have a muted horn so that you can honk it to get the attention of pedestrian's that are not paying attention. A regular horn is meant for other driver's in cars to be able to hear at highway speeds. The muted horn would help not scare the crap out of the pedestrian.
Exactly -- pedestrians or bicyclists (particularly bicyclists). When I bike in the city, I have a really clear idea of where the cars around me are just by sound. I don't want a bike swerving in front of me because he didn't know I was there -- the bike might scratch the paint! :scared:

Headlights are controlled by the carputer. Flash and high beams are likely controlled from a stalk, though. Really, in a world of automatic headlights, I NEVER touch the headlight controls, and if I ever do, I will likely be stopped when I need to. I don't imagine that the controls being in the carputer screen will mean much to 99% of us Teslamaniacs out there.

I can deal with it (sigh) but it's going to be a pain going through the tunnel on the Pennsylvania Turnpike Northeast Extension, which has rules ("HEADLIGHTS ON!" when you enter.... "HEADLIGHTS OFF!" when you leave).

I can deal with it (sigh) but it's going to be a pain going through the tunnel on the Pennsylvania Turnpike Northeast Extension, which has rules ("HEADLIGHTS ON!" when you enter.... "HEADLIGHTS OFF!" when you leave).

In a car with automatic lights, the lights will come on automatically and pretty quickly. All of my current vehicles have this feature. Near my house, there is a freeway on-ramp, and to enter, I have to make a left turn from the lane which is situated underneath the overpass of the freeway. On a sunny day, all three of my vehicles will still turn the headlights on while waiting underneath this overpass, because it is just dark enough to trigger the light sensor. Usually takes about 2 seconds. Once I exit from underneath the overpass, the lights turn off. I can always tell because my dash lighting changes somewhat when the lights turn on and off. I'm really doubtful you will ever have to worry about complying with those turnpike rules. I'm equally doubtful that a PSP trooper will cite for not turning your headlights on quickly enough. Could be wrong on that one though...

In a car with automatic lights, the lights will come on automatically and pretty quickly. All of my current vehicles have this feature. Near my house, there is a freeway on-ramp, and to enter, I have to make a left turn from the lane which is situated underneath the overpass of the freeway. On a sunny day, all three of my vehicles will still turn the headlights on while waiting underneath this overpass, because it is just dark enough to trigger the light sensor. Usually takes about 2 seconds. Once I exit from underneath the overpass, the lights turn off. I can always tell because my dash lighting changes somewhat when the lights turn on and off. I'm really doubtful you will ever have to worry about complying with those turnpike rules. I'm equally doubtful that a PSP trooper will cite for not turning your headlights on quickly enough. Could be wrong on that one though...

The tunnel's actually very brightly lighted. I'm not at all sure the headlights will recognize it as "dark". But we'll see!