Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads-up to you non-Roadster owners who might not know...
All the 2010 & newer Roadster have a sealed 12 volt battery. According the guys at Tesla it doesn't last very long and needs to be replaced every two years. This was the case with my personal Roadster too (it died and wouldn't let me unlock the car and I wasn't at home) when my car was right around 2 years old. They replaced it for free under warranty, but once the car is out of warranty it is going to be around $500 every two years (3 hours labor). The Model S will probably use a more expensive 12v battery but will probably require less labor to replace.

I would be easy for them to put some of their smart battery monitoring on the 12V battery to alert you to a degraded battery and to replace it before you are inconvenienced.

Tesla Model S Jailbreak? I love my jailbroken iPhone, and can't imagine all the possibilities with A CAR!!! Now that would be my ultimate dream car!

Jailbreaking the Tesla operating system I imagine would void your warranty and how many times has your "jailbroken" iPhone crashed inexplicably at the most inconvenient time??

I wouldn't want my Tesla S to "Crash" at any time.... :scared: Now that would be my ultimate nightmare car!

I think I'll leave my system "in jail" :tongue:

Here is a close up of the cruise control stalk. Let the dissection begin!:smile:

IMG_1199.JPG

Toyota's Entune system goes through the phone's internet connection, whereas the Model S will have its own connection (and expense). It will be interesting to see which system ends up working better, more popular, etc. I don't use my phone's data that much so I'm not worried about going over the limit, but I am worried about the phone's signal strength especially if I don't have the pano roof. I'm interested to see how the Model S integrates its own connectivity and apps with the phone.

David Pogue did a mini write-up on Entune in the Prius V.
The concept is brilliant; the dashboard touch screen offers buttons for apps like Bing, Traffic, Weather and Pandora radio that connect to the Internet through your phone. (A nice touch: your Bluetooth music fades and pauses when you get a phone call, even when you’re not sending the phone call through the car’s sound system.)

Once I entered my Pandora name and password, I could tune in to any of my custom-made “radio stations” as I drove (with a watchful eye on my monthly Verizon data limit, of course). I could see the gas prices of nearby gas stations right on my dashboard, without having to pull off the highway.

Wildest of all, Entune works with the car’s GPS system. Whenever it’s guiding you to a destination, it uses your phone’s Internet connection to download traffic data, and it spots coming traffic jams before you do. Suddenly, the dashboard screen might say, “Traffic jam in 2.1 miles, average speed 10 m.p.h.” You’re offered two buttons: Accept and Detour. That’s right; with one tap on the screen, you can direct the Prius to find its own way around the traffic jam.

While building an iPad app at my workplace, I developed with Apple's "VoiceOver" framework that makes their iDevices accessible to visually-impaired users. The mechanism is impressive and works very well for an all-touch application interface that lacks any tactile buttons. Those of you with iPads/iPhones can try this out on the native apps like stocks, weather etc. by turning that VoiceOver mode on and with your eyes closed (or using the 'screen curtain').

Am wondering if Tesla can enhance their touchscreen console software (and later, app SDK) to enable such facilities? Apart from the voice command control, this could help assuage some concerns about safety if the driver has to look at the screen to do something for climate control, audio etc.

I can see scenarios such as the following:

- Advanced multi-touch gestures (such as rotary motion with two or more fingers) to control volume up/down, temperature up/down etc.
- Long press on a button identifies it with a spoken description. With some poking around, the driver can get to the right button without taking his/her eyes off the road.
- A gesture to trigger a read out of all the information being displayed - say, traffic alerts in the navigation app or even the content of a web page! I can imaging using the latter to have a book read to me (much like an audio book) from Amazon's Kindle cloud reader web page while driving!
- The full-page read out gesture can also sequentially identify all the buttons/controls being displayed in a settings page; much like in VoiceOver, a tap can stop the read out when it gets to the desired control and a double tap can press/toggle it.

I'd admit that there'd be some learning involved here but, I can see it as a good thing that complements voice command control.

Thoughts?