TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S dead, "Vehicle may not restart"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Zuikkis, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

Our MS died. :(

The car is in our garage. Wife was supposed to go to the work, but couldn't get the car going. It showed a message "Unable to start" on screen, followed by "Vehicle may not restart". The same messages are viewed on the app:

2021-02-23.jpg

After that, MCU went blank and indeed does not restart. I have tried reseting with the steering wheel buttons, it does not wake up.

Car seems to have working +12V, because I can open frunk, trunk and central locking normally, and brake lights light up when I press the brake pedal.. Charging port opens from the keyfob, but the cable can't be inserted as the lock does not unlatch. So basically it seems only MCU is dead?

Is there some MCU fuse that I could pull, to try "force reset" the MCU?

Car is a 2013 P85+, with MCU2 retrofitted a few months ago! So it's not MCU1 emmc issue.

2. jpvdheijn

jpvdheijn Member

Try to take of the nose cone. And put a lager 12 volt battery on the terminals and see if the screen boots. I guess tesla will need to take a look at the vehicle. Keep us updated

• Like x 1
  3. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

Heh, we are in sync, I guess. I just connected a battery charger to the posts, and MCU woke up immediately. It is still showing some errors and does not start, but I'll let it charge for a while and see again.

I'm out of warranty so the next step is that I'll buy a new battery and replace it myself..

• Like x 1
  4. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

Any recommendations for the 12V battery?

5. jpvdheijn

jpvdheijn Member

Last year I had a similar issue, I thought it was the 12volt battery but it did not fix the issue. In the end the car was towed to Tesla and they measure the HVIL loop and found that the battery heater was faulty. This was replaced at the SEC with a new revision part, costs were around 950 euro's.

6. jpvdheijn

jpvdheijn Member

I would use whatever you have laying around as 12 volts. The 12volt of the model s is only there to run accessories and is being charged by the DC-DC converter taking power from the HV battery.

But do only put that 12volt battery on the terminals behind the nosecone.

7. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

Ah. I have a 10Amp C-Tek charger plugged on to the terminals. It has been there for 1 hour already and there's not much progress happening on the status leds, which would indicate that the battery does not charge properly.

So I am thinking about replacing the actual battery myself..

8. Nikxice

Nikxice Active Member

If the problem is the 12V, I'd be curious as to why you didn't get a preemptive warning, "12V Battery Needs Service"? If the car is now awake, displaying error codes, Tesla might be able to diagnose your issue remotely.

9. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

Yeah, good point.

But I have seen batteries fail on other cars "just like that" without any warning, typically single cell short circuits for no reason which makes the total voltage drop by 2V. Somehow this seems to be the situation here. The battery has now been charging for 2.5h and it still only shows 12.5V with multimeter. Should be way over 14V while charging.

Now if I try to start the car, it first says "Voltage too low", followed by the earlier "Unable to start".

10. random155

random155 Member

If you decide to have the 12v replaced, I would have Tesla do it. Im a DIY person but I've read of guys replacing their 12v and having problems that need a tech to correct. Its only about $200 well worth it to avoid headaches with more errors. Just a suggestion, I never thought I'd think about paying someone to replace my car battery. lol

My vote is 12v battery issue

11. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

12. Palmtree

Palmtree Member

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

13. Zuikkis

Zuikkis Member

Car is being towed to service center at the moment. Turns out my insurance covers the towing, making this choice easier.

I managed to fully charge the 12V battery, and also tried attaching a separate 12V battery to the nosecone terminals.. But the errors are still there, car unable to start.

Also the fact that it refuses to unlock the charge port.. Must be some high voltage failure because it doesn't want to allow charging?

There's also some new warnings:

1024-1820.jpg

14. 46&2

46&2 Member

Good luck with the car!

• Like x 1
  15. Plasmid_Boy

Plasmid_Boy Member

I had a similar problem a while back on my 2014 P85+. It was caused by a dead AC compressor.

16. krsgio

krsgio Member

I had the bms_w035 error on my car about a month ago and it ended up being battery heater but the car still continued to drive. Not sure about the other errors

17. Jughead135

Jughead135 Member

Better get that wiper fluid checked, stat!!!!

:p

OK, you may not be seeing any humor in this at this point—it just struck my funny bone, all those dire-sounding warnings, with a “wiper fluid low” message.... Hope you get this sorted easier rather than harder....

• Funny x 1
  18. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

This makes me deathly afraid that my Tesla is out of warranty

• Funny x 1
  19. 2101Guy

2101Guy Active Member

#20 2101Guy, Feb 24, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    you arent sure if you are in warranty or not?