Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Ok. I've been tracking assigned VINs lately because it is a good way to keep track of production rate. But after this change, I'll have to switch to just tracking VINs found in the app since that is the only way to know if the car has entered production.

So my two most spaced data points before this change is then:
Jan.17th 3832
Feb. 17th 6004

2172 cars in a month, 70 per day and thus 490 per week. Nice :)

After using the app as data points:
Feb.5th 4874
Feb. 21st 6004 (same as above but found in the app at this date)

71 cars per day, 494 per week.

The production rate seems very consistent and probably a lot closer to 500/week than 400/week.

Very interesting analysis.

Applying this approach and assuming a 7 day production week (assumed in your calculation above, but is that actually the case?), I should get a VIN via app on ~ Monday. Here's my math: I'm VIN 6302, so if 6004 went into production on Thursday (2/21), I should get into production after about 300 more cars are built, so about 4.25 days @ 70 cars/day. Depending on where 6004 was in the production order on Thursday, that means ~ Monday. I'll report back.

Hmm. Ok. I've been tracking assigned VINs lately because it is a good way to keep track of production rate. But after this change, I'll have to switch to just tracking VINs found in the app since that is the only way to know if the car has entered production.

So my two most spaced data points before this change is then:
Jan.17th 3832
Feb. 17th 6004

2172 cars in a month, 70 per day and thus 490 per week. Nice :)

After using the app as data points:
Feb.5th 4874
Feb. 21st 6004 (same as above but found in the app at this date)

71 cars per day, 494 per week.

The production rate seems very consistent and probably a lot closer to 500/week than 400/week.
i tried that as well and was off on estimate for last report. problem is that vins are started consec numbers but are not finished that way. i suspect part disruptions are to blame with some cars not finished in order (possibly waiting parts). the only explanation i can figure for why vin 3xxx gets delivered the same week at vin 5xxx. the delivery rate maybe slower to respond to increases in production rate but it maybe a better indication of "true" production rate which i would define as finished cars per week.

Looks like my timeline is similar to X-ray Received my Vin yesterday 61xx in response to email with delivery window of 3/1 - 3/15. Finalized on 1/21. Plan to pick up at factory and drive down to LA when it is ready. Looking forward to getting my ms85 grey/grey/pano/air/sound/dual/tech basically everything but the kids seats and the performance engine. Looking forward to working with DS to schedule factory tour and pickup when car is ready. It is interesting how this forum and car has grabbed my attention and impulse purchase, when I was not really looking to replace my great but 13 year old MBz s class sedan. Believe that the MS will be great for my daily work related driving.

Thanks to everyone for their posts; as it is very helpful to learn from those who went before.

Last edited:
VIN 6087 entered production this weekend, according to an email from my DS person. He said I should get the car in the DC area on or about March 13, mid-way between the March 6 to March 20 window. The VIN also shows up on the iphone app, but still not on the web page. This is a white performance with all options but for the parcel shelf and rear seats.

Congrats to everybody who's getting closer to receiving their cars! Reading this thread is trying my patience though :)

I'm #14181, finalized Jan 15th, 85KWh/non-perf/black/gray/piano/air/tech/sound. For the past couple of weeks I've seen quite a few people who finalized after me with almost identical configs get delivery buttons, delivery estimates and even VINs. On the other hand, I have received none of the above, and a call a few days ago to the Delivery Team yielded no new information. Just a "we will let you know delivery dates once your car gets closer to production".

Am I the unfortunate side effect of color batching or a specific parts shortage, or are there more people on the same boat?

Very interesting analysis.

Applying this approach and assuming a 7 day production week (assumed in your calculation above, but is that actually the case?), I should get a VIN via app on ~ Monday. Here's my math: I'm VIN 6302, so if 6004 went into production on Thursday (2/21), I should get into production after about 300 more cars are built, so about 4.25 days @ 70 cars/day. Depending on where 6004 was in the production order on Thursday, that means ~ Monday. I'll report back.

I'm VIN #6004, so here's some input !

I just called Tesla today (feb 25th) and was confirmed that my car is built, went through Quality Control and is waiting for shipment to Montreal !!

It's not clear if the car «appears» in the mobile app during the assembly or at the end of the assembly. But anyway ... if it can help others ...

Now if anyone gets to the Factory, if you happen to find my car (Dark blue) ... please take pictures and send it to me !!! :) Please try to see if the «85» badge is there ...

I guess it's unlikely since there must be hundreds of cars waiting for shipment ...

At least in my case, I was told that production of my car began over the weekend (they did not specify Saturday or Sunday), and showed up in the iphone app on Monday. So, I think it shows up in the app once the car starts to be built.

Regarding building, I finalized my MVPA around January 24, 2013, and Tesla countersigned on January 28, 2013. Because my car is the performance version, Tesla told me it will be built sooner that if I had ordered the non-performance version. Don't know if that is true, but that is what they told me. Car is expected in the DC area between March 6 and March 20, probably, by March 13 (accoding to Tesla).

Because my car is the performance version, Tesla told me it will be built sooner that if I had ordered the non-performance version. Don't know if that is true, but that is what they told me. Car is expected in the DC area between March 6 and March 20, probably, by March 13 (accoding to Tesla).

Mine is a Perf too. Would like to get mine sooner rather than later, but I have no control!!! enjoy your ride!

Interesting. I received a call from my DS that my car went into production this weekend as well, the VIN does not show up in the app yet. It is a performance as well. Who knows when it will be in the app. Not really a big deal delivery window is March 11-25 in Chicago.

Just got off the phone with a Tesla rep. States I *may* be able to pick up my car on Sunday..or sortly thereafter..at the Seattle Service Center! This is really happening!

Res 15005 non-perf 85, green/tan, twin chargers, tech, pano, air and sound.

Reserved 11/30
Finalized 1/17
Delivery button 2/10
Estimated delivery 1/-1/15.
Vin 6017. No MVPA yet.