Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now we know the real reason Elon pulled the red calipers.

"Only compatible with the Plaid." LOL, I'm sure this was determined by the "Marketing Engineers".

"We have decided that a 5000 pound sub-11 second car simply cannot benefit from better braking."
I can think of 20,000 reasons I wouldn't buy this, Plaid, velvet or whatever

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But since they will do a custom color, you might be able to talk them into putting the Tesla logo on for a few bux? Most people can do a lot with an extra $10k?
I'm just majorly against logo's in general, definitely don't want them stamped in thick white letters on my $9,400 brakes. Does seems like a much better option than the Tesla ones though. Probably like $11k installed vs. 20k for Tesla and you are probably right that they would be willing to omit that logo as part of the custom color option. And honestly, I trust UP more than Tesla for this kind of thing.

Ok WOW but thanks to BabyTesla on Twitter, look at the new footnote under 200mph!!! Looks like there won't be standalone tires for that speed (which fits the theory I had about the Arachnids being good for 200), but it might require the new brakes!

View attachment 736929
yeah, i think it used to say proper tires or wheels or similar - but now you have to shell out $20k for the privilege. i'm surprised the link didn't also include a software unlock. being serious.

I'm just majorly against logo's in general, definitely don't want them stamped in thick white letters on my $9,400 brakes. Does seems like a much better option than the Tesla ones though. Probably like $11k installed vs. 20k for Tesla and you are probably right that they would be willing to omit that logo as part of the custom color option. And honestly, I trust UP more than Tesla for this kind of thing.
The only thing I'm worried about, is that the car STILL has to be unlocked by Tesla to obtain speeds higher than 168? Does that mean that Tesla will ONLY unlock the car if it uses ONLY their components?

I'll be buying the plaid, but I won't be on the track. I just like the safety of being able to stop a fast car very quickly.
I mean the braking distance on the plaid is actually pretty good as it sits, like 103-105 feet 60-0 i think. It's just that they cant keep up on the track/drag strip. I think these brakes are more about improving repeat brake performance/heat dissipation than improving that stopping distance number. Again not an expert so please someone step in if im wrong.

yeah, i think it used to say proper tires or wheels or similar - but now you have to shell out $20k for the privilege. i'm surprised the link didn't also include a software unlock. being serious.
The only thing I'm worried about, is that the car STILL has to be unlocked by Tesla to obtain speeds higher than 168? Does that mean that Tesla will ONLY unlock the car if it uses ONLY their components?
@IamGaryGnu Probably will as we get closer. What may happen is that the Track SW will come with OS V11, and once the brakes become available, they make you sign a disclaimer (as it is hard to tell whether that person actually has the proper brakes), and then the car is unlocked.

I mean the braking distance on the plaid is actually pretty good as it sits, like 103-105 feet 60-0 i think. It's just that they cant keep up on the track/drag strip. I think these brakes are more about improving repeat brake performance/heat dissipation than improving that stopping distance number. Again not an expert so please someone step in if im wrong.
You might be right. But I would think that six piston brakes in front and four in back with oversize rotors would stop much better than stock. And just where the hell can you go 200 mph in Hobart anyway??

Does anyone know if you can add a trade-in value to a Model S after receiving the VIN? I am ready for my final payment and just got my VIN this morning but I would like to add my Model 3 Performance as a trade-in, whenever I try to do it on the website it doesn't let me. Also my current estimated delivery is December 9th to the 13th, any idea if this could be sooner since I already have my VIN?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
You might be right. But I would think that six piston brakes in front and four in back with oversize rotors would stop much better than stock. And just where the hell can you go 200 mph in Hobart anyway??
Im not saying you are wrong, I just dont know how much quicker you can stop a car this heavy. I just looked at two of arguably the best similar cars with a track focus, the Porsche Taycan turbo S and the BMW M5 competition and they both brake in 103 feet and 104 respectively. I know lighter cars like a corvette or miata can hit mid 90's but I dont think its possible with something as heavy as the plaid.

Does anyone know if you can add a trade-in value to a Model S after receiving the VIN? I am ready for my final payment and just got my VIN this morning but I would like to add my Model 3 Performance as a trade-in, whenever I try to do it on the website it doesn't let me. Also my current estimated delivery is December 9th to the 13th, any idea if this could be sooner since I already have my VIN?
Yes just reach out to your SA or call your delivery location and get someone to help you

Im not saying you are wrong, I just dont know how much quicker you can stop a car this heavy. I just looked at two of arguably the best similar cars with a track focus, the Porsche Taycan turbo S and the BMW M5 competition and they both brake in 103 feet and 104 respectively. I know lighter cars like a corvette or miata can hit mid 90's but I dont think its possible with something as heavy as the plaid.
This isn't about stopping faster. This is about brake fade from repeated application.

or, you buy this package, sign some disclaimers, and THEN have to shell out more to unlock the increased speed. Now we're talking ludicrous (pricing)!

brake package for 20k, wheel and tire package for 10k, software speed boost for 10k :p
Man, and here I was thinkin $92K for the MS LR (now, called the Plaid-)was expensive. I'm a cheapo, I guess. It'll be interesting to see it all play out over the next year or two with 4680s in Plaid+ and all of the other upgrades. Can't wait!