Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most other countries don’t have the same model year setup like in the US (the VIN digit for model year isn’t even required in those cases). Point is in recent years there has been a tendency to have some changes coincide with the model year changeover.
Yet all countries adhere to model years. Name a country that doesn't register the model year at purchase. The broader point is most changes do not coincide with model years, and these are generally the bigger changes, including your example Highland everywhere else. This has been Tesla's stated strategy that they have used to great effect. Model S update history is a classic example, and since the Palladium update, there's been very little line up with your model year point.

Yet all countries adhere to model years. Name a country that doesn't register the model year at purchase. The broader point is most changes do not coincide with model years, and these are generally the bigger changes, including your example Highland everywhere else. This has been Tesla's stated strategy that they have used to great effect. Model S update history is a classic example, and since the Palladium update, there's been very little line up with your model year point.
Model year at purchase simply calendar year in most other countries.

I already gave recent examples of them doing the model year changeover with feature changes.

Reactions: de Vere and VikH
For what its worth, considering the source, I talked to sales advisor and he said there is a vehicle allocated to me that will be available sooner than the one shown on the web site and that VIN will be assigned today or tomorrow. So it would appear there are cars that are not shown in public system but which are allocated to the orders which tracks with how it was before. Why there are no VINs assigned is separate issue, but it could be some kind of regulatory approval.
So as expected nothing came out of this. No VIN assigned, EDD still creeping day by day. Anyone heard of 2024 VIN assigned for LR model?

Although, with the latest posting about shitake door alignment probably its for the better, I would not have accepted that car anyway.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Wow, you'll say anything. Not true, but you wouldn't know. Have you ever lived abroad and registered anything?

You gave some examples trivial in the broader product update chronology.
Yes. I stand by my statement. I know with BMW, production changes are usually rolled out in March and September. In the US the model year typically changes with the September builds. Abroad (at least in most European countries) it’s typical for a September 2023 model to be sold as a 2023 even though the car built right before it on the production line would be sold as a 2024 model here. Similar with the other European makes, though I don’t know if they use September or some other month off hand.

I don’t think the most significant updates to the model 3 since its inception are “trivial”. Model S and X perhaps have a greater tendency to see rolling changes due to the much lower production volume, but even this otherwise minor steering wheel thing to me suggests there’s probably been a policy / culture change at Tesla

Last edited:
Then we are in violent agreement. I'm not sure that a horn and a US portion only launch of refresh 3 constitutes "increasingly" but recognize the acknowledgement.
2021 Model 3 refresh? (switch to heat pump, revised interior, power trunk, changeover from chrome to black trim). I think removal of ultrasonics on. the S/X lined up with 2023 if I'm not mistaken, though obviously that was a case where holding out for a change bit people in the ass.

Reactions: VikH
2021 Model 3 refresh? (switch to heat pump, revised interior, power trunk, changeover from chrome to black trim). I think removal of ultrasonics on. the S/X lined up with 2023 if I'm not mistaken, though obviously that was a case where holding out for a change bit people in the ass.
You're reaching. Have a look at all the changes that did not line up with model year. It's much easier.

Yes. I stand by my statement. I know with BMW, production changes are usually rolled out in March and September. In the US the model year typically changes with the September builds. Abroad (at least in most European countries) it’s typical for a September 2023 model to be sold as a 2023 even though the car built right before it on the production line would be sold as a 2024 model here. Similar with the other European makes, though I don’t know if they use September or some other month off hand.

I don’t think the most significant updates to the model 3 since its inception are “trivial”. Model S and X perhaps have a greater tendency to see rolling changes due to the much lower production volume, but even this otherwise minor steering wheel thing to me suggests there’s probably been a policy / culture change at Tesla
I think the facts speak for themselves…and tend to support your observation. Let’s just leave it at that…

Most of those are pretty early on or truly trivial.

Certainly for the 3/Y, major changes are historically held back for model year changes thus far. And S/X will probably follow suit (and I would argue have been recently)
Not true, yet again, but we've established you'll say anything. This thread alone demonstrates that truth. 2.5 years ago (June '21) the refresh came out, mid year. 2022 and 2023 tweaks came out at various times, including new matrix headlights added, new taillights, the ultra red paint, a lighter shade glass roof, the tilting middle screen, the addition of hardware 4.0, the removal of the rear T logo and most recently the stealth gray paint - all mid-year. Tesla does not observe model years to make changes - they happen all the time. Sometimes the engineering cycle will line up with year beginning, most of the time it doesn't.