TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S development costs so far?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by doug, Jan 14, 2012.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Not sure, but I think at least including the Model X, it came close to that. However, that also includes the additional cost for a manufacturing capacity of 40,000 rather than 20,000 (in two shifts).

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

The Q4 report off the investor's page shows about $150 million over the previous 9 months. Not sure how to find how much was spent before that since they weren't public then, but 2011 was a pretty high ramp up in R&D so I wouldn't expect it'd be nearly that high. Though the months from the last report to actual shipping is probably pretty high.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

So how much did they spend developing the S?

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#5 vfx, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    It would probably come down to how much was spent on the car and how much was for building a company/factory.

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Thanks Norbert for digging out this one! Had to grin on that recurring pattern:
    And Jalopnik reported Elon's bet to eat a hat if Model S development costs would exceed $700m.

Now can we have Nigel go over the quarter results and check if that bet is won or lost? to extract costs for Model S R&D, acquiring and tooling the factory, work force hiring & training? What else might comprise "Model S cost?"

7. daniel

daniel Active Member

I think it would be fair to exclude the cost of the Freemont factory from the cost of development of the Model S. Developing the car, and putting it into production, are separate items, because the factory will produce many models of cars. JMHO.

8. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

That said, the factory was cheap and might not make a difference.

9. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

#9 Mycroft, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    I think many of the points of Voelcker's article are true. Tesla is an anomaly because they were able to acquire an entire auto plant in the valley for peanuts. So they are likely to be the last major auto manufacturer in California.

10. brian45011

brian45011 Member

R&D Cost from the SEC filings from 7/1/09 through 3/31/12 total $380 million:
    2009 $ 9.4 million
    2010 $ 93.0 million
    2011 $209.0 million
    1Q12 $ 68.4 million

SG&A expenses from 1/1/09 through 3/31/12 total $261.5 million.

The DOE loan was $465 million: roughly $100 million for the Power Train Facility in Palo Alto and $365 million for the Model S Production Facility in Fremont.

I’ll leave it to others to make the allocations between Model S and the other parts of Tesla’s business.

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

great first post, thanks brian45011!

while the dates given do not match exactly the development time of Model S, I think it's safe to say that Model S R&D was way below $700m.

12. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

How much did Tesla spend to develop the Model S?

Just curious if anyone knows how much Tedla spent developing and commercializing the Model S. I know Fisker spent about $1.2B developing the Karma, Chevy/GM spent $3B developing the Volt and I think Tesla spent $200M developing the Roadster (correct me if I'm wrong).

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

14. CroDriver

CroDriver Member

Where Nikola Tesla was born... Croatia :)
    Hmm... I'll rather not say which budget I had to build a company and car from scratch. :)

15. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Why not? Don't be so modest, your car is fantastic. (I would happily buy one - if it wasn't WAY out of my financial league :wink:)
    If you didn't have a billion dollar budget, so much the better.

Thumbs up!

16. CroDriver

CroDriver Member

Where Nikola Tesla was born... Croatia :)

Billion? Not even one percent...

Trust me, it where very hard 5 years for me.

17. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

#17 Zzzz..., Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Tesla's accumulated deficit is a $975M so far. This include all earnings and all losses from all programs, Roadster, Toyota, Mercedes, Model S, Model X.

Initial business plan was to spend $20M, get drivetraine from AC Propulsion, get cheap Chinese li-ion cells, and mate that with Lotus glider. Make profits....
    But AC Propulsion tech sucked, there was huge problem with transmission, and Tesla had to settle with Panasonic cells. Glider from initial business plan made it, but even it was modified.

18. William3

William3 Member

The Rimac is a stunning vehicle with amazing performance. You should be very proud. I wish I had the kind of money that would allow me to buy one. Do you think you'll ever sell cars to the United States?