Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S driver avoids crash through acceleration (dashcam video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I'm impressed that you managed to see it coming in enough time to figure out the center was clear and get the car moved out of the way. Well done. :)

Well, to be honest, I'm always looking for a way "out", so I had already picked my out before I had to get out of the way. All my brain really had to do in that moment was to decide "should I stay or should I go". Also, if you listen closely to the audio, you hear 2 thud like noises before the first crashing noise, I think I started reacting at the first thud, and decided to move out of the lane before I even knew what was happening behind me, or at the very least it gave the little bit of extra heads up I needed.

Wow dude, brilliant. You are the internet winner of the day!

About 1.5 years ago I was in my S on the interstate when traffic came to a sudden halt. Since I was in the left lane, and it was Friday (Friday drivers tend to be particularly stupid), I was sure to stop with plenty of space in front of me. I was glad I did, because I heard tires screeching hard behind me. Since my rear camera was up, I saw a van quickly approaching and I gunned it. The van finally stopped probably a foot or two past where my rear bumper *was*...so I was luckily able to avoid a rear end collision that day because I left space, was paying attention, and gunned it.

Because of videos like this, I now try to leave plenty of space in front of me when stopping, and try to pay attention to the rear camera until several cars behind me have stopped. (Can't always do this though).

Anyway, kudos to you for some excellent driving!

+1 to all of this. I always make sure to have an out. If the only out I have is in front of me, I make sure I leave enough space for me to have something to move forward into. I can't control what other drivers are doing behind me, but I can always control what I have in front of me. I do exactly what you say. The closer the car behind me is, the more room I leave in front, so I don't have to brake rapidly, to give the car behind me a chance to stop.

Yes, my car is too old to have auto pilot, so I had to get out of the way on my own, but certainly the cars acceleration and instant response is what made all the difference. It probably helped that I'm paranoid about getting rear-ended, so I always keep my eyes peeled on the rear view mirror or backup camera when I'm stopped.

Yes. Great job being attentive. If you didn't have that instant torque and power of the vehicle, that may not have been possible. Another great tribute to the Tesla vehicles and that's just one of the reasons in my book why it's one of the safest vehicles out there.
Glad you and your vehicle are safe

I will join the many others in saying that was impressive driving. The forward shot confused me until that rear shot made it all clear how impressive you were.

With my little knowledge of autopilot, I would doubt that it could have seen that coming and reacted in the way that you did. I would expect that it will be another 10 years before a system could react to prevent that accident (in your position) from occurring.

I will join the many others in saying that was impressive driving. The forward shot confused me until that rear shot made it all clear how impressive you were.

With my little knowledge of autopilot, I would doubt that it could have seen that coming and reacted in the way that you did. I would expect that it will be another 10 years before a system could react to prevent that accident (in your position) from occurring.

It probably wouldn't even then, but if most or all cars have AP, then it wouldn't need to.

Yes, my car is too old to have auto pilot, so I had to get out of the way on my own, but certainly the cars acceleration and instant response is what made all the difference. It probably helped that I'm paranoid about getting rear-ended, so I always keep my eyes peeled on the rear view mirror or backup camera when I'm stopped.
Nice work. I agree it's likely that the Teslas instant accelerating from a stop kept you from getting hit.
For years now I have made it a practice to leave at least half a car length in front of me when stopped in a line of cars and I watch my rear view to guard against distracted divers rear ending me.

Left foot braking? No. It seems tiring to have to hover your left foot above the brake pedal at all times.

I hover when there are questionable situations like around here I have found many cases where I am either accelerating or just driving then someone runs a stop or just doesn't look so it comes in handy. I also use my left foot to hold my car at stoplights since it makes launching that much quicker without needing to shift foot position. (+ it helps a bit for really spirited driving w/out TC)

I had one instance like yours when a big 70's station wagon came plowing into the line of cars that I was in the front of, light just turned green. I was in a 914 2.0 and glass and debris came shooting all around me while I clutch dropped to take of. I could feel the explosive air pressure like a bomb going off behind me. no scratches

..again.simply amazing video. I have been planning on upgrading my 550 to a dual.

Yes, a DR650GW-2ch, that I had installed just a few days before this video was shot. I used to drive with only a forward facing camera (G1W), which has served me well in the past, but last time I got rear-ended the insurance company of the driver still refused to accept 100% liability (although I might still win that one in arbitration), because the camera did not show if their driver was stopped or not, when in fact he was stopped behind me, using his cellphone. So, when I got my car back from the body shop, I made sure to upgrade to a camera with both front and rear channels, so the next time a cellphone user rear-ends me I have proof.

Schwedisch, You seem to have the same luck I have been having lately...

That driving was perfect, I am glad you shared it. if you can get out safely, get out. Looks like the black SUV had same idea. I have done that before too:wink:.

I have a 'Wedge' camera in my windscreen, soon there will be another in the back window for the same reason you mention.
I had been rear ended recently, and the perp did not want to share any of his information, so I had to call around and get his information with only a picture of the front of his truck. I should apply for a job as an investigator.

Totally something I would have done. Awesome maneuver and awareness.

Auto Pilot wouldn't have saved you there... it's all about the driver! And the instant torque, which is why low end power is what really matters more so than having a top speed of 150.