Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S driver filmed sleeping in traffic!! Calling All Forum Safety Nannies!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oy. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you know how to use it.

Although...I must admit that after a long day of hiking and dinner, I did set my AP and almost, but not quite, zoned out for a good 30 miles of HWY 1 driving one evening. But at least I was awake and watching the road. It was awesome! Drove like a dream. Such an amazing luxury.

So, anecdote time. A friend of mine was flying in a light plane with his wife and another couple in northern outback Australia. At one point he noticed that everyone else had fallen asleep. So he composed himself, laid back, then jostled the controls, and pretended to stay asleep. They all woke up, saw him (apparently) asleep, and "woke" him. "Snort, ahem, (looks around), where are we?"

"Forum Safety Nannies", "Nanny police", etc. Why is there a need for name calling? I can feel in it the underlying animosity towards other's views.

You are a Canadian with a picture of a moose as your icon. You come from the most polite culture I have ever encountered - so it almost seems impolite to even disagree with you.

Having said that - I'l explain. You are correct that the terms "nanny police" etc. are a kind of ribbing. I would disagree that they fall all the way to schoolyard name calling. Saying someone is an "idiot" or worse - that is, to me, schoolyard name calling.

"Safety police" "Self appointed nannies" - those terms have a specific meaning. And it is absolutely not about someone's views on safety. I think we can all agree that safety is important and we should be alert when we drive. Rather, it is pointing out an irritating, reflexive tendency of certain self righteous Captain Obvious types to tell other people that their behavior is not safe. That tendency is the basis for the famous muppets character Sam the Eagle - the video I posted on the other thread as a response to someone who asked me to explain myself. Rather than explicitly explain myself I diverted to humor again as an illustration of my point - again, as a tool to cauterize the discussion.

The "self appointed forum police" term purposely critiques the behavior of folks who feel the need to lecture other people on the obvious.

And so, you see people like me saying "forum police" as a way to inject humor into the "call out" and simultaneously take those nannies down a notch. If one were to begin to argue with logic you'd end up in an endless nerd fight. You cut off the argument and cauterize the debate by injecting some mild humor into the scenario.

There is a strong current of the socially awkward dweeb who has no sense of humor and no self awareness here on the Tesla forums - much stronger than on any other kind of automotive forum. I seriously think this is due to a high portion of super-high-iq engineer/scientist types here - Teslas at least over the last few years have attracted a unique crowd - financially successful but also fascinated with technology and early adopters. That's not an insult - it could be a compliment - it's simply an observation. There is very little tolerance here for any kind of teasing. You can see this because when very mild ribbing takes place people here quickly get indignant and take offense.

Whenever you see a person on TMC say "I looked at an e-mail while using autopilot" you can practically write the scene yourself. It's like something out of high school:

Nasally voiced, turtle neck wearing observer sees someone on a skateboard jump off some stairs and thinks he is helping improve the world by observing loudly for everyone to hear "Jumping skateboard off the stairs is not safe. IT'S NOT SAFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? YOU MIGHT CRASH INTO A PEDESTRIAN WALKING BY!!"

What makes the safety nanny a target for teasing is his or her incredible lack of awareness how silly s/he sounds lecturing another person on the obvious.

Last edited:
Have you nothing better to do than play the jerk and display ignorance about high functioning autism ?

-- just some polite messaging

Well frankly SageBrush - I think we all have better things to do than post away on an internet forum about electric cars - but here we are, aren't we. :p

And fine - since you find that offensive I took it out.

How many of us would call 911 in such cases because there's no way to know if it's an emergency situation and the driver requires medical attention? I would.

Of course, we are all assuming because its a tesla, the guy has made the choice to sleep whilst autopiloting.

We might end up with "boy cried wolf" situations in the future with driverless cars, whereby people having heart attacks or strokes end up going unconscious and people assume because of autonomous driving, they must be sleeping.

How many of us would call 911 in such cases because there's no way to know if it's an emergency situation and the driver requires medical attention? I would.

About ten years ago someone in Germany called 112 and reported a car pulled over at the roadside with an elderly and apparently lifeless man at the wheel. When the paramedics arrived, the man woke up and explained that he had pulled over because he felt sleepy.

A dispute then ensued over who should pay for the "rescue operation"...

I tried but failed to find references to the story, so I don't know who actually had to pay.

To return to the topic at hand, as long as the technology and laws do not permit it, I would say that a driver with closed eyes would be a dangerous situation. Maybe one could pull up ahead of the car (to reduce the risk of collision), and then honk to alert the driver to the danger they pose to themselves and others? And then, if there is no reaction, make the call?

I recalled there was a whole thread about sleeping with autopilot. So I looked it up and found it.

Fell asleep using Autopilot - admission from a Model S owner

Actually some interesting discussions in that thread about folks with medical episodes while on Autopilot. And possibly what to do.

I recall when AP came out people mentioned the car would slow down and move itself to the side of the road if the required driver input (hands on steering wheel) did not occur despite multiple requests. Was that ever programmed/established I wonder?