Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the armor makes sense from a shorter term ownership point of view, or where you're trading the car in at some point where it's not an issue or an apparent negative. However, it could be bothersome say 7 years from now, trying to replace aging armor, even if very slight. Trying to match with new armor would likely be impossible, or trying to buff out the paint, to even the affects of protected and non-protected areas. A two-tone effect would be a let down.

I saw a new Lexus recently in the parking lot, where half the hood was protected, and I noticed the line right away.

I'm not sure which is better/worse, but I'm tempted to go au-natural, to age evenly (gracefully?). I suppose there's always the chance that some minor incident would happen down the road that would entail a repair and repaint covered by insurance.

Currently, I'm getting the entire side of my car repainted because someone sprayed (ins agent thinks oven cleaner) along 18" of the right front passenger door. The whole side needs it, since it's a pearl white (multicoat) paint job. $1200, but insurance is covering it, and they'll take care of a door ding at the sametime. The nose is pitted from road spray/debris, but it's evenly spread. At some point, I'll get that repainted too.

Saw VIN #29 today in Sarasota, and it's got the paint armor. Visibility of the lines is the same as the Roadster - almost invisible.

Here's the hood in sunshine:
View attachment 6496

If you can't see where the line is, I met fellow forum member Larry there and he helpfully points it out:
View attachment 6497

Here's a close-up:
View attachment 6499

In artificial light it's a little easier to see. Here's a close up of the rear door and wheel arch:
View attachment 6498

I was at the Model S test drive in Seattle today and the white car had the paint armor on it. It was very noticeable and it confirmed my decision not to take the armor option. I tried to take a photo to show it. If you view this photo in hi-res at Flickr, you can barely see the line in the photo but in person, it was quite noticeable.

7518711550_430696960e.jpg
Photo_2012_07_06_051 by Francis Lau, on Flickr

Hi,

I don't quite share Nigel's impressions. I agree it is difficult to photograph the seam on the Model S, but I found the line rather visible to the eye on both the Silver beta under artificial light as well as Steve Jurvetson's Signature Red Model S in full sunlight. In photographing Steve's car it was still hard to see the line in the photo, but you should be able to see it .

Tesla Get Amped 051.JPG

Perhpas the reason the line is less visible on the Roadsters that I have seen is because Tesla aligns the paint armor with the edge of the hood louver. There is no louver on the Model Ss to disguise most of the line over the hood.

Despite being visible, I didn't find it unduly objectionable, and I opted to get it when I configured my car. Damn Florida lovebugs!!

Larry

This is like the line(s) in the old Trinitron monitors, imho. If you know about it, you see it. If you don't then you don't.

But I think I'll stick with getting it. We'll see how it goes.

Hi Jason,

I agree, if you know an artifact exists your eye is trained to detect it later. Nevertheless, even though I could detect the paint armor, I didn't find it so distracting that it outweighed my desire to select this useful option.

Larry

If you paid them more, would the cover the entire hood? I guess you could have that one piece done custom after the car was delivered if you could find out exactly what film they used.

I spoke to Alex Frank, the store manager at Santana Row, and asked about this. He said they could definitely do the whole hood for you if you wanted it. And IMO after having just the nose and lower 1/3 of the hood done on my G35 coupe since it was new in 2006 and taking a LOT of little rock chips higher up the hood where the paint armor wasn't there, I'd DEFINITELY want to do the whole hood on Model S.

I spoke to Alex Frank, the store manager at Santana Row, and asked about this. He said they could definitely do the whole hood for you if you wanted it. And IMO after having just the nose and lower 1/3 of the hood done on my G35 coupe since it was new in 2006 and taking a LOT of little rock chips higher up the hood where the paint armor wasn't there, I'd DEFINITELY want to do the whole hood on Model S.
I'd like to hear more about this. If this price isn't exorbitant, I'd prefer to go that route. I don't want a two or three-tone hood.

If you find out more about pricing, please share the info with us.

Aftermarket is aways a choice but I'd rather have a factory job that I can count on. In CA there may be many good shops that do this. Where I live it's a roll of the dice.