Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I've ever waxed a car. I was hoping that paint armour meant 100% coverage.

I am very suspect that waxing a modern car is a scam. I understood why I waxed my first car. It kept the paint from oxidizing and protected from acid rain.

Now that cars are clearcoated - I 'm not sure I believe that wax provides much additional protection. Also - acid rain is not an issue where I live (and in the decade I live in).

Given how strong modern clearcoat is - waxing feels like wrapping aluminum foil around a tank to get "extra protection." I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone who didn't want to sell me something explain why I should do it.

All the same, waxing gives the car a great shine! Got my wife's car a (pretty much annual, $59.99) wax job last week and it brought out the beauty of the paint color ('hot chocolate' brown) more than all the regular car washes in between.

Bloody *$&#!@ June drizzle in the Bay Area made that pleasure a short-lived one!

Now that cars are clearcoated - I 'm not sure I believe that wax provides much additional protection. Also - acid rain is not an issue where I live (and in the decade I live in).
Well, there are other environmental hazards like bird poop and tree sap (and spilled fuel, not a problem for EVs but in general) that will eat clearcoat and leave a mark. Also a good wax (well, I use Zaino which isn't "wax" per se but for this post will ues the generic term) will prevent and fill in scratches in the clearcoat from blowing dirt/grit.

Finally, a well-waxed car makes washing easier. Think cleaning a teflon-coated pan vs a regular aluminum one. Less scrubbing required as the dirt just slides right off. And as gg said, it brings out the color and just looks a lot better. I can absolutely tell the difference after I wax a car - the color is much brighter.

But if you think it's a scam then don't do it. No one's forcing you.

Given how strong modern clearcoat is - waxing feels like wrapping aluminum foil around a tank to get "extra protection." I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone who didn't want to sell me something explain why I should do it.

I like how it feels smoother, and water does roll right off. I think GG will find that his wife's car, freshly waxed, will not pick up as much dust after today's rain. My car, unwaxed for many a year, will maintain a thin film of water on the paint that when dry will leave a film of dirt. I believe the clearcoat is protecting the paint, but wax does make it nicer.

I'm on the fence about getting the paint armor myself, especially if it doesn't save me any washing/waxing time and also now that I'm likely to spend money on the air suspension. I can live with a few dings and repair with touch-up paint - I'm not entering any car shows.

I am very suspect that waxing a modern car is a scam. I understood why I waxed my first car. It kept the paint from oxidizing and protected from acid rain.

Waxing also helps to remove minor clearcoat imperfections like swirl marks and lines. Eliminates a dull finish that comes from continuous washing with detergents. Despite the advances in paint and clearcoat these days, it is still obvious who waxes and who doesn't. An occasional professional detailing is worth it IMHO.

It also depends on the color of the car....black, red and other 'rich' colors show the benefits of wax (again, a generic term...I'm a snob and use high-end products such as Swissol), whereas silver cars tend to look clean and relatively shiny after a quick wash (plus they don't show swirl marks). I used to own a car detailing company (in the UK), and you can 'wax' a silver or white car much faster, and minor oversights are impossible to see.

Every time I buy a new car, I labor over the practically of having a color that looks amazing after it's been waxed (until it rains, or just gets dusty, as it does here in Tx) vs a silver car that really just needs to be washed every couple of weeks, and maybe some tire treatment to make the bodywork 'pop' a bit. I'm figuring I have at least another 9 months to decide for my Model S, currently I'm leaning towards the black.

Back on-topic, I like the concept of paint armor, but don't like the lines, which to my eyes at least are fairly obvious on a dark color.

Waxing also helps to remove minor clearcoat imperfections like swirl marks and lines. Eliminates a dull finish that comes from continuous washing with detergents. Despite the advances in paint and clearcoat these days, it is still obvious who waxes and who doesn't. An occasional professional detailing is worth it IMHO.

Actually, I think polishing helps this more than waxing...

Actually, I think polishing helps this more than waxing...

I prefer to wax and buff for minor swirl marks and lines. P21S is great for that. Clearcoat scratches and deep swirl marks deserve a good polish, wax, and sealant. I use a Flex circular polisher. It takes so much more time to do this correctly that I only pull it out for stuff that really breaks the plane.

If the car is a daily driver, then it's a no-brainer to buy the "Armor". My black 2006 Mercedes SLK was used as a daily driver for several years and nearly every leading edge has little pits in it. It looks great from about 25 feet away, but when you're next to it, the pits are quite noticeable.

If the car is a daily driver, then it's a no-brainer to buy the "Armor". My black 2006 Mercedes SLK was used as a daily driver for several years and nearly every leading edge has little pits in it. It looks great from about 25 feet away, but when you're next to it, the pits are quite noticeable.

Does that mean the SLK had it or did not have it? I am very interested to know how noticebale it will be on a black car.

No, the SLK did not have protection. And the pitting is VERY noticeable on a black car. I would have to have the entire front of the car stripped and repainted to make it right. Which, as nice as the car is, isn't worth it for a 6-year old sports car with 100,000 miles on it.

That said, if the car isn't going to be a daily driver, or it's mainly going to be used around town and not on the freeway, then it would be a tougher call on the paint armor.

If the paint armour protects from color fade, does this mean that the car will be two-toned in 5-10 years? ie the portions of the hood not protected become lighter than those protected.
I had PPF (Ventureshield I believe) on a Blue Jeep for 7 years and after removing you could tell a difference but it wasn't because of fading, it was because the paint/clearcoat under the armor was in better shape so there weren't any lines or swirl marks in it which made the color look brighter - light wasn't being diffracted by the scratches. A good polishing helped to blend the two but if you look at it in bright sun at the right angle you can see it.

I cannot decide whether to go for paint armor for the sycamore brown paint. Still unsure of the maintenance involved, besides the regular wax and being careful of the wax build up along the lines. Would I be able to use a fine grade clay bar on the paint armor? How about a polishing compound?

I was at the Model S test drive in Seattle today and the white car had the paint armor on it. It was very noticeable and it confirmed my decision not to take the armor option. I tried to take a photo to show it. If you view this photo in hi-res at Flickr, you can barely see the line in the photo but in person, it was quite noticeable.

7518711550_430696960e.jpg
Photo_2012_07_06_051 by Francis Lau, on Flickr

I have a 2009 Audi A4 in metallic dark blue without armor and we drive it daily. I went to look at the paint and the quality and sheen is still great.

Paint armor is best on darker colors. I saw a Roadster at Menlo and the armor had started to yellow, so it was quite noticeable. However, on darker colors you don't see it as much.

Roadster is low and has that silly door, cut away sill design where every pebble and piece of dirt off the wheels goes. You need paint armor there. Model S probably has better mud flaps, so maybe not quite as much.