Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - FAQs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to bring it up but how many Tesla fires have there been exactly? Just want a total number

I mentioned Tesla with the owner of the store I work at yesterday when we were simply discussing cars and he immediately spoke with contempt about tesla and the first thing he said was those cars are always catching on fire they are no good.

He must be thinking about "hover" boards.

image.jpeg

I've been a regular visitor to the site for almost two years now, and quite surprisingly, I've only signed up today and made it official finally. Now I'm a member of the site too and it kinda feels good, guess I should've done it a long time ago.
Figured this thread is a good place to start off, and hope I could 'unlock' my profile pic and signature soon...
A million thx to TMC for providing a place to unite Tesla owners/fans worldwide together!
p.s. An owner of a Model S P85D in China says hi to you all!

I've been a regular visitor to the site for almost two years now, and quite surprisingly, I've only signed up today and made it official finally. Now I'm a member of the site too and it kinda feels good, guess I should've done it a long time ago.
Figured this thread is a good place to start off, and hope I could 'unlock' my profile pic and signature soon...
A million thx to TMC for providing a place to unite Tesla owners/fans worldwide together!

Hiya!

Howdy and cool!

Ok that post motivated me to stop lurking and post my first post here. I just took possession of my new MS last week and absolutely love it. But I have major issues with the black paint already. Swirls, Scratches (surface), orange peel everywhere... Anybody else experience this? I have read the paint is soft etc... But mine would literally scratch from a cotton ball gently rolling across the hood.

Can somebody tell me how to "Search" for previous discussions. I have been pawing through Tesla Forums - and find tons of good stuff, but there must be some way to search - or ask questions.
I recall seeing something about a special tool to help remove the front license bracket. Costs $8.00. Could not find where that conversation originated or where I could buy the tool. Weather I buy the too or not - I need some help navigating. Anyone?

Can somebody tell me how to "Search" for previous discussions. I have been pawing through Tesla Forums - and find tons of good stuff, but there must be some way to search - or ask questions.
I recall seeing something about a special tool to help remove the front license bracket. Costs $8.00. Could not find where that conversation originated or where I could buy the tool. Weather I buy the too or not - I need some help navigating. Anyone?

You can probably remove it by hand or if not with a pair of right angle needle nose pliers and a little bit of patience. Mine didn't cause me all that much trouble, just took a little while.

As for the tool, I believe you mean this:

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

I have no affiliation with this person or company, just remember seeing it. I've never used this tool.

You can probably remove it by hand or if not with a pair of right angle needle nose pliers and a little bit of patience. Mine didn't cause me all that much trouble, just took a little while.

As for the tool, I believe you mean this:

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

I have no affiliation with this person or company, just remember seeing it. I've never used this tool.
Thanks
BTW - I found that this site is great for Tesla searches : Volkerize: Search forums.teslamotors.com

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker and huge fan of this site but am finally ready to make my purchase of the Model S. I was looking for some advice from the knowledgeable members here. I was looking to purchase a new inventory 90D but with the announcement of improvements in performance to the 75D making it comparable to a 90D, I am seriously considering purchasing a new 75D as the only advantage I see currently with the 90D is increased range which is less of a concern for me. With that said, I know only the 100D and previous outfitted 90Ds offer the Smart Suspension option whereas the 75D does not.

I spoke with an Owner Advisor yesterday and was told that the Smart Suspension is a must have if I am planning to outfit my Model S with 21" silver turbines which I love. Can anyone with experience advise if this is true the owner advisor stated the ride quality is much rougher with 21" rims and without Smart Suspension?

Anyone with good advice please feel free to weigh in. Feel free to also let me know what your think about 90D versus new 75D. Its much appreciated as i am extremely excited about my upcoming purchase but want to make sure I do my due diligence to get this right after waiting forever for this time to arrive. :)

As far as the 75D vs. 90D question on range - I wrestled with this and decided on the 75D. The extra price of the 90D wasn't justified for my needs even when the performance was better. Because honestly the performance in the 75D is pretty darn good to start with especially in the real world where you use your car on streets not driving too much over the speed limit. The lack of delay for full power and for shifting means there are few cars out there that can out accelerate either car in most normal driving conditions. The changes that Tesla have announced will obviously reduce the differential between 75D (just ordered) and 90D (ordered previously - see below) performance.

I plugged a variety of scenarios into EV trip planning sites and software and determined that the additional range didn't matter for my needs. You should consider doing the same with actual drives that matter to your needs and see what happens.

As for the suspension/wheel discussion - I've been told that the ride quality is stiffer with 21" wheels. They are also more at risk for damage with potholes and also from just getting scuffed due to the lower profile. If its the turbine look you like consider getting the Tesla 19" cyclone wheels or one of the aftermarket 19" or 20" wheels out there. They look great and may help avoid some or all of the potential downsides to the 21" wheels - which also includes some range loss as well. I tried out the air suspension and didn't feel the difference from coil was worth it for me plus it adds something else to break. There are people out there that have very steep driveway entries and literally need the air to get in and out so that's something else to consider depending on your needs.

I'm sure you know this but this need for the 21" turbines and then being told you need air suspension and then having to get the 90D is basically pushing your purchase price up many many thousands of dollars.

Take home points - run the scenarios for drives you want to do on planning apps/sites and see if the 75 vs 90 matters at all and then try to drive variations of 19 vs 21 wheels along with coil vs air. The question of the wheels and suspension is totally a personal preference situation. Don't take anybody's word for it - including me.

Craig

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker and huge fan of this site but am finally ready to make my purchase of the Model S. I was looking for some advice from the knowledgeable members here. I was looking to purchase a new inventory 90D but with the announcement of improvements in performance to the 75D making it comparable to a 90D, I am seriously considering purchasing a new 75D as the only advantage I see currently with the 90D is increased range which is less of a concern for me. With that said, I know only the 100D and previous outfitted 90Ds offer the Smart Suspension option whereas the 75D does not.

I spoke with an Owner Advisor yesterday and was told that the Smart Suspension is a must have if I am planning to outfit my Model S with 21" silver turbines which I love. Can anyone with experience advise if this is true the owner advisor stated the ride quality is much rougher with 21" rims and without Smart Suspension?

Anyone with good advice please feel free to weigh in. Feel free to also let me know what your think about 90D versus new 75D. Its much appreciated as i am extremely excited about my upcoming purchase but want to make sure I do my due diligence to get this right after waiting forever for this time to arrive. :)

As far as the 75D vs. 90D question on range - I wrestled with this and decided on the 75D. The extra price of the 90D wasn't justified for my needs even when the performance was better. Because honestly the performance in the 75D is pretty darn good to start with especially in the real world where you use your car on streets not driving too much over the speed limit. The lack of delay for full power and for shifting means there are few cars out there that can out accelerate either car in most normal driving conditions. The changes that Tesla have announced will obviously reduce the differential between 75D (just ordered) and 90D (ordered previously - see below) performance.

I plugged a variety of scenarios into EV trip planning sites and software and determined that the additional range didn't matter for my needs. You should consider doing the same with actual drives that matter to your needs and see what happens.

As for the suspension/wheel discussion - I've been told that the ride quality is stiffer with 21" wheels. They are also more at risk for damage with potholes and also from just getting scuffed due to the lower profile. If its the turbine look you like consider getting the Tesla 19" cyclone wheels or one of the aftermarket 19" or 20" wheels out there. They look great and may help avoid some or all of the potential downsides to the 21" wheels - which also includes some range loss as well. I tried out the air suspension and didn't feel the difference from coil was worth it for me plus it adds something else to break. There are people out there that have very steep driveway entries and literally need the air to get in and out so that's something else to consider depending on your needs.

I'm sure you know this but this need for the 21" turbines and then being told you need air suspension and then having to get the 90D is basically pushing your purchase price up many many thousands of dollars.

Take home points - run the scenarios for drives you want to do on planning apps/sites and see if the 75 vs 90 matters at all and then try to drive variations of 19 vs 21 wheels along with coil vs air. The question of the wheels and suspension is totally a personal preference situation. Don't take anybody's word for it - including me.

Craig

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the comprehensive response and input. As you mentioned, I also don't think I will need the additional range which the 90D offers based upon my current daily commute and trip usage as the 75D should suffice. You also raise a great point of the 90D adding thousands of dollars for additional options which I'm trying to avoid if unnecessary

I believe you're probably right about needing to test drive both the 19" and 21" rims with and without Smart Air suspension to get a better sense of preference. Again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Daryl

Hello all,

Note as of last week, 16Aug, I think Smart Air Suspension is standard on the 75D

[mod note - brianman, hope you don't mind that I'm hijacking your post, but it's at the top of the thread :). - b.]

For new visitors to this thread, the Model S Owner's Manual thread/discussion may be found here.

---------------------- now for the regularly scheduled discussion:

I thought it might be interesting to start compiling an FAQ for the Model S.

Is there one of the Roadster maintained by one of the TMC members? I figure it might make a good starting template.

Anybody know if model S has an altimeter like the roadster?!

Does the car update the software even with my doors closed?

Obviously when I close the doors the car and screen turn off. Does it still do its thing?

It feels like the equivalent of a laptop updating software and in the middle of it you fold the screen down.

Does the car update the software even with my doors closed?

Obviously when I close the doors the car and screen turn off. Does it still do its thing?

It feels like the equivalent of a laptop updating software and in the middle of it you fold the screen down.

Yes, it absolutely continues updating. I would recommend it, in fact. You really don't want to disturb it during updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop