Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S for renters (a.k.a. non-homeowners) / Renting creating hurdle for EV adoption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The place we were living when we got the Roadster had a NEMA 6-20 in the garage already for an air compressor the owner had when he lived there. So I was able to charge at 220V 16A which was fine for my short commute. The new place we moved into I asked the landlord if I could run a 6-30 (house only had a 100A panel and it's old - a 14-50 would have required a new panel) and he said it was fine. So my Dad and I ran 2 6-30's into the rafters for the Roadster and Model S. It should only cost a few hundred bucks to have a circuit run and I can't imagine a landlord not letting you improve their place - they could advertise that it's "EV-Ready" when you move out.

Thanks for the info. Ideally I can find a place that has outlets already in the garage that can deliver more than 15A. If not, I'll simply have to find someone willing to allow me to make the upgrade, which as you said shouldn't be terribly tough to find since it's a free upgrade to him (but I worry as soon as you mention messing around with the electrical system that they'll immediately be worried about you burning the place down). This also pretty much precludes me from renting an apartment, and would have to set my eyes on a house. Also, if I move around fairly often the hassle and cost of making this electrical upgrade a few times could get old. All things I have to consider!

My wife and I are renters for the exact same reasons you cite. We're able to live in a nice house for way less than the mortgage and property taxes (and when something breaks we just call the landlord).
Owning is for people who can buy their house outright. (I could so I did.) I ran the comparative numbers a while back and it's usually cheaper to own (property taxes + insurance + utilities + repairs) than to rent (rent + utilities) but cheaper to rent than to mortgage (mortgage + property taxes + insurance + utilities + repairs). (Of course if you expect to pay off the mortgage in 10 years and then live in the house for another 20 years, you're probably better off buying, because of that last 20 years.) The old principle: don't borrow if you don't have to and borrow as little as possible. Banks make a lot of money on the difference between loan rates and savings rates.

Going OT here, but, neroden, I think owning does offer some intangibles such as quality of life. In areas like the SF Bay Area, renting an equivalent house (if available to begin with) is almost on par if not costlier than owning the same if the mortgage is reasonable. And, for W2 slaves such as myself, the mortgage helps offset the adjusted gross income for AMT purposes.

onlinespending, yes, electrical upgrades can scare some landlords away (particularly if they see sensational news on the lines of "EV burnt down Sugar Land, TX home!"). Good luck there.

I want to add that buying a house, even with only 3.5% down and a 30year fixed mortgage, is cheaper than renting near me. I pay about as much as my 3 bedroom apartment, as I do for my 4 bedroom house, on 1/2 an acre, with a fence for my dogs, and a garage for my car.

I bought a house before I really needed it because it was cheaper than renting. It really depends on where you live whether or not buying is right on not. Plus I can drill holes in my walls without wondering if I will be able to hide them to get my $250 deposit back.

I want to add that buying a house, even with only 3.5% down and a 30year fixed mortgage, is cheaper than renting near me. I pay about as much as my 3 bedroom apartment, as I do for my 4 bedroom house, on 1/2 an acre, with a fence for my dogs, and a garage for my car.

Yeah, let's not make this a rent vs. own thread. If it wasn't for the government subsidizing home ownership it'd be fairer comparison (of course, house prices would drop substantially in a fair market system without huge tax deductions they give people to borrow money for a home). But even still I contend it's historically not a sound investment when you consider inflation. It should be a decision you make because of lifestyle needs and quality of life, as GG mentioned. It's the same reason I do not want to own a home, because I like to move around and home ownership doesn't work with my lifestyle. Once I start a family it'll be quite different.

But I digress. I still see this as a major hurdle for EV adoption. The Model S is clearly priced at a point where it would be bought predominately by homeowners. But for the lower-priced, and lower range alternatives, such as the Leaf, which are ideal for city driving, it just doesn't mesh well with the city parking infrastructure. EVs are sadly best suited for suburban garages :)

Last edited:
I think this will change as EV's become more predominant. Competitive market forces will require apartment, condo, and other real estate developers and builders to add charging facilities and capabilities to their new developments and to retro-fit existing ones. Owned or rented? It won't matter. It's not a question of if, but when, and hopefully the when will come soon.

It's already happening in a number of commercial facilities and parking lots, even though the number of EVs on the road is not that high. The market is anticipating the inevitability of it all.

Yeah, let's not make this a rent vs. own thread. If it wasn't for the government subsidizing home ownership it'd be fairer comparison (of course, house prices would drop substantially in a fair market system without huge tax deductions they give people to borrow money for a home). But even still I contend it's historically not a sound investment when you consider inflation. It should be a decision you make because of lifestyle needs and quality of life, as GG mentioned. It's the same reason I do not want to own a home, because I like to move around and home ownership doesn't work with my lifestyle. Once I start a family it'll be quite different.

But I digress. I still see this as a major hurdle for EV adoption. The Model S is clearly priced at a point where it would be bought predominately by homeowners. But for the lower-priced, and lower range alternatives, such as the Leaf, which are ideal for city driving, it just doesn't mesh well with the city parking infrastructure. EVs are sadly best suited for suburban garages :)

Make that one of the things you look for in a house to rent. Look for a house with the breaker box in the garage already. That means adding a NEMA 14.50 outlet should be very cheap. You can tell the owner you'll pay for it and they can pick the electrician they trust. Hopefully it works out for you.

Here are photos of the set up. The EVSE mounts on the green post when charging but the whole assembly is quickly dismounted and put away when not charging. With the Astroturf covered plug for the post hole, the installation is stealth when not set up to charge the car.

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_1541.JPG

DSC_1542.JPG

DSC_1544.JPG

DSC_1545.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: newtman
Slick indeed! Very creative too.

Btw, any worries that all of that can be stolen if you are not sitting around waiting for the charging to be completed? Isn't that another issue with a rental, on-street parking situation?

Less of a problem with the Model S, I suppose, as the UMC would stay locked into the charge port if there's no keyfob nearby...

The Volt can be set to turn on an alarm if the plug is removed while the car is charging. Plus I live in a very safe neighborhood.

When the post is removed it's hidden under a large bush in the front yard, not stored in the car.

When I get my S I'll make a new stand/post for the high power wall connector, which is safe to use outdoors (I asked Tesla).

Slick indeed! Very creative too.

Btw, any worries that all of that can be stolen if you are not sitting around waiting for the charging to be completed? Isn't that another issue with a rental, on-street parking situation?

Less of a problem with the Model S, I suppose, as the UMC would stay locked into the charge port if there's no keyfob nearby...

gg_wants_a_tesla;138601...Didn't know there was an EVSE rights act as well.[/QUOTE said:
in CA SB 880 http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/SB_880/20112012/

Beginning January 1, 2012, any covenant, restriction, or condition in a deed or other instrument affecting the transfer or sale of an interest in a common interest development, or any provision of the governing documents of a common interest development, that prohibits or restricts the installation or use of an electric vehicle charging station is void and unenforceable. On and after January 1, 2012, if an electric vehicle charging station is to be placed in a common area, the homeowner and common interest development association shall be subject to certain requirements.

I know we have an "EV Incentives" thread. Maybe we need an EV laws thread.

Btw, any worries that all of that can be stolen if you are not sitting around waiting for the charging to be completed? Isn't that another issue with a rental, on-street parking situation?...

My concern would be about lawnmowers. Gardeners are notorious for mowing off sprinkler heads and they (supposedly) know that they are important for lawn care. That PVC piece and astroturf seems destine for the shredder.

Still cool though.

My concern would be about lawnmowers. Gardeners are notorious for mowing off sprinkler heads and they (supposedly) know that they are important for lawn care. That PVC piece and astroturf seems destine for the shredder.

Still cool though.

The lawn is mowed every week. Nothing has been damaged because it was designed to sit low enough in the grass that mover blades wouldn't touch it.

I am both a renter and a Model S driver- went through the hassle of dealing with my landlord's HOA and I finally spent a fair amount of money on a NEMA 14-50 outlet by my assigned parking spaces, fed through conduit from my rented condo's sub-electrical panel (so I am paying for the electricity I use to charge my car (via TOU-2 billing, of course), I am not letting everyone else "share" my "fuel" expenses). But as my electrician was wrapping up the work, I happened to meet a lovely woman (who is also interested in trading her Lexus RX-330 for a Model X or a Rav4 EV) who lives in the condo complex next door, and now we are in the process of me getting out of my lease early followed by me moving in with her. But where on this site do I advertise my apartment/condo for rent/lease? Do I start a new thread? This thread was the closest to it that i could find... Suggestions welcome, please.

I am both a renter and a Model S driver- went through the hassle of dealing with my landlord's HOA and I finally spent a fair amount of money on a NEMA 14-50 outlet by my assigned parking spaces, fed through conduit from my rented condo's sub-electrical panel (so I am paying for the electricity I use to charge my car (via TOU-2 billing, of course), I am not letting everyone else "share" my "fuel" expenses). But as my electrician was wrapping up the work, I happened to meet a lovely woman (who is also interested in trading her Lexus RX-330 for a Model X or a Rav4 EV) who lives in the condo complex next door, and now we are in the process of me getting out of my lease early followed by me moving in with her. But where on this site do I advertise my apartment/condo for rent/lease? Do I start a new thread? This thread was the closest to it that i could find... Suggestions welcome, please.

Congrats on getting the charging to your condo as that isn't easy. This really isn't the site for selling real-estate so would probably use the various other sites frequented by people looking for homes.