Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I need the UMC every day? No. Will I feel better having it with me in case something unexpected happens? Yes.

I'd order the extra UMC then if it makes you feel better about trips. I simply take my existing UMC with me when I'm going to be driving over 100 miles that day. You also have the J1772 adapter and I keep that in my car at all times. I am much more likely to find a public charger in town than a campground NEMA 14-50 outlet so that's kind of my hedge. You do need the UMC for 110V outlets though so keeping it in the car is an added layer of security.

Just opened the box with the HPWC. It is quite heavy and feels high quality. The box contains the HPWC, mounting bracket, some screws and the manual. There is a note saying that the plug/cable holder will ship separately in February.

photo 1.JPG

The cable is quite thick and heavy compared to the UMC cable. Length is 25'

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

There is a back and side knock-out

photo 4.JPG

Current location of the NEMA 6-50 and future HPWC site. I will probably mount the charger quite low to the ground so it won't be in the way of the charging cable

photo 5.JPG

Matching face plate and car paint :wink:

Last edited:
I'd order the extra UMC then if it makes you feel better about trips. I simply take my existing UMC with me when I'm going to be driving over 100 miles that day. You also have the J1772 adapter and I keep that in my car at all times. I am much more likely to find a public charger in town than a campground NEMA 14-50 outlet so that's kind of my hedge. You do need the UMC for 110V outlets though so keeping it in the car is an added layer of security.

Another option is to keep the UMC in the car, that's delivered with it, and build yourself a 75A OpenEVSE, cost for that is half of the HPWC ($600 versus $1200). There are three differences:

1. It takes some work, skill and effort to construct your own EVSE, you must be handy and have some tools.
2. You will need to use the J-1772 adapter with your own J-1772 EVSE, this leads to #3
3. You will need to press the "charge port open" before getting out of the car, as you won't have the little button on the handle to press to get the charge port door open

I asked Tesla about getting a spare J-1772 adapter, they quoted me $95, and added they are in very short supply, so it will be a wait to get one (the extra adapter is so one can be kept in the car, and one can be left on the J-1772 75A OpenEVSE

If you can live live with the listed issues and are handy, you can save about $500 ($600 for the 75A OpenEVSE construction + $95 for a spare adapter, so $700 total versus $1200)

For the curious, here is my 75A OpenEVSE wiki page:
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE

I think your strategy is a good one. Twin chargers to future proof your car for that rare instance you find an 80A EVSE in the wild or visit a friend's house with a HPWC but save a little money but not getting the HPWC yourself for now at least.

Do you need to carry the mobile cable (UMC) with you at all times? Unless I'm going on a trip, I just leave it hanging over a garden hose hook from home depot in my garage so I'm not unplugging and plugging it in twice a day or more. They will sell an extra UMC on their website at some point if you want an extra one in your trunk but I'd guess it will be around $500 or so.

I just found this-

Universal Mobile Connector | Charging Solutions | Tesla Motors

It's the UMC for the roadster, and it costs $1,500 :eek: If the Model S UMC is going to be this much then I'd much rather go ahead and order the HPWC. I'm going to try to call someone at Tesla tomorrow and see if I can get some answers. Even an estimate as what a spare UMC will cost (and availability) would be helpful.