Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White box looking thing is actually the install directions that come with the HPWC, The cable hangar was purchased at Home Depot, Yes, the wire access is only on the left.

- - - Updated - - -

Front cover is not loose.

Do you have a part number for the cable hanger at Home Depot? I couldn't find it, searching for garden hose or cable hanger.

A

Our HPWC was just delivered today via FedEx. This was a due bill item for Model S VIN 626 delivered October 30. It has a silver housing. It did not ship with the "cord organizer" which I assume is the hanger you loop the cord around. They put a note in that said the organizer would ship later in February. And incidentally the cord is THICK. It is going to make quite a wide loop, which could pose a problem for us. I planned on putting it between two garage doors. The actual unit fits beautifully (I had asked Tesla for measurements while building my garage), but I'm going to have a tough time with that big loop of really thick cord.

Received my HPWC yesterday and had it installed this morning. It works perfectly and I love the long cord (though will be quite happy to get the cord organizer because wrapping that thick cord around the HWPC itself is a pain in the neck).

Now, if I can just get those rear seats I'll be perfectly content with my due bill items......

Are you folks getting notification that they are being delivered, or are they just appearing on your doorstep? Signature required?

Our neighborhood gets hit with packages thieves from time to time, following the routes of the UPS/FedEx drivers. Would hate to have the HPWC walk off on it's own.

HPWC arrived here as well. Not installed yet.

No signature required for my delivery.
Same.

Gratuitous pictures:
TeslaSHPWC1.jpg

TeslaSHPWC2.jpg

TeslaSHPWC3.jpg

TeslaSHPWC4.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine today as well. Have you read the installation instruction? It said for 80Amp (or 100Amp breaker), you need 3 awg wires for power and 4 awg wires for ground. I thought for ground you need only 8 awg for the 80Amp install. Why does Tesla want you to use 4 awg for ground?

I got mine today as well. Have you read the installation instruction? It said for 80Amp (or 100Amp breaker), you need 3 awg wires for power and 4 awg wires for ground. I thought for ground you need only 8 awg for the 80Amp install. Why does Tesla want you to use 4 awg for ground?

FlasherZ can correct me, but I believe that's in the NEC. You want a larger ground wire so there is no possibility of it melting and disabling the ground, also it provides an easier path for the electrons to travel making for a better ground. My electrician explained a couple of days ago that the breaker panel ground wire size has been increased.

FlasherZ can correct me, but I believe that's in the NEC. You want a larger ground wire so there is no possibility of it melting and disabling the ground, also it provides an easier path for the electrons to travel making for a better ground. My electrician explained a couple of days ago that the breaker panel ground wire size has been increased.
Thanks for the explanation. In this case (larger ground is better), is there any reason why I should not use 3awg for ground (rather than using 4awg)? The reason is that the 3 awg cost 0.75/ft but the 4 awg cost $1.25/ft. I have a really long run from the breaker box to where I want to put the HPWC.