Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I did and have no problems. I basically treat the HPWC has a permanent mount UMC which is much more durable. Just note with that power cord, there is a white neutral cable that is not used. Simply cut it off and cover with some electrical tape.

View attachment 65664

Yes, mine is upside down. I did that so the cables wouldn't cross over each other. Also, I believe there is a thread somewhere (or maybe earlier in this one) that discusses if this actually meets code or not. As long as you set the HPWC to a 50 amp circuit and make sure nothing can easily catch the 14-50 power cord, it should be safe.

which electrician did this for you?

Just had my HPWC installed today. Quite happy that my electrician skipped the shutoff box due to the line of sight to my main panel. Now I just need my P85D :D

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

The carpet gets dirty. No big deal. About 80% of my garage has carpet. Not my thing, but it was epoxied to the garage floor by the previous owners of the house. Parking cars and motorcycles in the garage for the last 18 years hasn't yet destroyed the carpet -- but it is plenty stained. The Model S will add new stains.

I expect this may be normal, but I did search, and can't seem to find anyone who has asked this particular question before.

I have a new P85D and two new installations of HPWCs. The car arrived yesterday, and so far I've only been able to test one of the HPWCs. At the one I'm using, the car is consistently charging at 79 of 79 amps instead of the full 80 amps. I know this is no big deal, and I'm actually probably going to usually charge at 56 amps or something (to put less stress on the system, and still use both onboard chargers) but I'm just wondering if this indicates some sort of an issue with my installation or with my HPWC. Or is this actually "normal?"

I know the car remembers the last charge rate at a given location, so I have been resetting the location to 80, but each time I charge it maxes at 79.

My electrician used #2 copper cable, which was thicker cable than needed, for a relatively short run.

Thanks!

I have a new P85D and two new installations of HPWCs. The car arrived yesterday, and so far I've only been able to test one of the HPWCs. At the one I'm using, the car is consistently charging at 79 of 79 amps instead of the full 80 amps.

The charging amps can vary depending upon the input voltage from the utility or solar panel. So look at the volts and see if it's 240-242 or 235-239.

The more-or-less worst case is a 3-phase industrial service that's 208 volts, which will give you about a 56 amp charge.

---- You guys are correct. I was thinking of kW, not amps. the rounding is why the amps aren't showing.

Last edited:
The charging amps can vary depending upon the input voltage from the utility or solar panel. So look at the volts and see if it's 240-242 or 235-239.

The more-or-less worst case is a 3-phase industrial service that's 208 volts, which will give you about a 56 amp charge.

Thanks very much, Jerry. I'm almost certain I saw both 239 and 240 at times. I may have seen 238 at some point too. Unfortunately it's going to be some time before I can check again and say definitively, as the car is charged to 90% now, and tomorrow I'm taking it to be opti-coated. I'll be picking it up a few days later, but then taking it to my other HPWC location for a while. (I will get to check that one out next week.)

For argument's sake, assuming I saw voltages of 238, 239, and 240, (which is, I'm pretty sure, what I saw) what would the consistent 79/79 mean?

Again, many thanks for taking the time!

What jerry33 posted does not sound correct to me at all.

Lower voltage would not result in a lower amperage. It would result in a lower amount of watts given the same amount of amperage:

Volts * Amps = Watts

240 * 80 = 19.2 KW
208 * 80 = 16.64 KW

A lower voltage given the same amperage will result in a slower charge.

I have not yet received delivery of my P85D (hopefully tomorrow), but from what I've seen others here posting, the car's display always rounds down the amperage, so if you are at 79.9A it will still read 79.

At 79A / 240V you should be able to fully charge from empty in about 4 hours, nothing to stress about.

What jerry33 posted does not sound correct to me at all.

Lower voltage would not result in a lower amperage. It would result in a lower amount of watts given the same amount of amperage:

Volts * Amps = Watts

240 * 80 = 19.2 KW
208 * 80 = 16.64 KW

A lower voltage given the same amperage will result in a slower charge.

I have not yet received delivery of my P85D (hopefully tomorrow), but from what I've seen others here posting, the car's display always rounds down the amperage, so if you are at 79.9A it will still read 79.

At 79A / 240V you should be able to fully charge from empty in about 4 hours, nothing to stress about.

Thanks.

I wasn't particularly stressed. I was just wondering why I was seeing 79 instead of 80.

I had not heard about the rounding down. If the car could be getting 79.9 (instead of 80) and displaying that as 79, that makes sense. I guess the car could also really be getting 79. As you suggest, nothing to really worry about. I was just wondering.

Thanks!

What randsompersonx said is true. Current (amps) is independent of voltage. Wattage is what changes, which impacts the overall charge rate.

To your earlier question, are you sure you're not seeing 79/80? That's normal for the model S. It will flicker between 80/80 and 79/80. This is believed to be caused by rounding in the UI. The last number is the amperage the EVSE is telling the car it can provide. It shouldn't fluctuate on an HPWC.

... Edit and now i see your question was already answered. Oops.

What randsompersonx said is true. Current (amps) is independent of voltage. Wattage is what changes, which impacts the overall charge rate.

To your earlier question, are you sure you're not seeing 79/80? That's normal for the model S. It will flicker between 80/80 and 79/80. This is believed to be caused by rounding in the UI. The last number is the amperage the EVSE is telling the car it can provide. It shouldn't fluctuate on an HPWC.

... Edit and now i see your question was already answered. Oops.

Thanks, Andrew.

I'll have to check on the 79/79 vs. 79/80 the next time I charge at this location, which will actually be a while. I know with 100% certainty at least once it was showing 79/79, but that might have been the second time, and I guess that could have been because it had geo-defaulted to 79 instead of 80 based on the charge before. The next time I charge here I will be sure to set it to 80 again, and watch carefully, to see if it ever shows 80/80 or even 79/80, or if it is just 79/79 all the time. But I guess in the big picture of things it really doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference.

Thanks, though, especially for taking the time while you're on vacation!

I have a new P85D and two new installations of HPWCs. The car arrived yesterday, and so far I've only been able to test one of the HPWCs. At the one I'm using, the car is consistently charging at 79 of 79 amps instead of the full 80 amps. I know this is no big deal, and I'm actually probably going to usually charge at 56 amps or something (to put less stress on the system, and still use both onboard chargers) but I'm just wondering if this indicates some sort of an issue with my installation or with my HPWC. Or is this actually "normal?"

I know the car remembers the last charge rate at a given location, so I have been resetting the location to 80, but each time I charge it maxes at 79.

Don't worry. The charging display seems to truncate instead of round. I very often see 79/80, 69/70, 55/60, etc. When I have checked with a current meter in the breaker box, the 79 displayed was 79.8 or 79.9 Amps in reality.

Thanks, Andrew.

I'll have to check on the 79/79 vs. 79/80 the next time I charge at this location, which will actually be a while. I know with 100% certainty at least once it was showing 79/79, but that might have been the second time, and I guess that could have been because it had geo-defaulted to 79 instead of 80 based on the charge before. The next time I charge here I will be sure to set it to 80 again, and watch carefully, to see if it ever shows 80/80 or even 79/80, or if it is just 79/79 all the time. But I guess in the big picture of things it really doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference.

Thanks, though, especially for taking the time while you're on vacation!

The geo memory is for your amperage setting- the first number. It won't have any effect on the second.

The geo memory is for your amperage setting- the first number. It won't have any effect on the second.

Ah, OK.

I knew the geo location would remember what I attempted to charge at. So I thought if I attempted to charge at 79, and was only actually charging at, say 75, it would show 75/79, to indicate that I was getting 75 out of the 79 I was trying to get. So I feared that somehow after the first time it only "got" 79, it somehow set 79.

In any case, it'll be a while before I can even watch carefully what happens here again, but it definitely sounds like I don't have anything to be concerned about.

Thanks!