Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: I got rear-ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla community, I drive a 2017 Model S 100D, 20k miles on board.

I recently got rear-ended by a distracted driver. The Tesla-approved body shop told me that the back aluminum panel was bent, so the insurance company's initial low-ball estimate of $ 2,000 is totally inadequate. The shop thought more like $ 10,000. The issue is: what can I do about the Diminished Value of my car, since there is now an accident on file with CarFax?
I live in New York, and was told I can only file such a Diminished Value Claim with the third party's insurance, not mine. Fortunately they accepted liability, but what should I do to have a chance to recoup anything close to the real drop in value? The third party's insurance company is very likely to lowball me again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you

There are painstakingly detailed threads on here detailing Tesla-specific experience with DV claims. Do a search and you should find them easily. I’d start there.

Welcome, sorry to hear about the accident, glad you’re ok.

My car front end was ripped off at the curb. Fully replaced 100% new everything, to brand new status. No one ever balked to find it had "been in an accident" because it was completely new. The value was not diminished due to the "accident". My insurance completely covered the rebuild of my gray car, fully as good as new.

And I got what I asked for them, the first within four hours, the second in about two. I didn't use CarFax. That may be your problem. Or it could be that you just want more than Tesla says they're worth. That was my problem. You take a hit on any high-dollar car when you sell it.

And I got what I asked for them, the first within four hours, the second in about two. I didn't use CarFax. That may be your problem. Or it could be that you just want more than Tesla says they're worth. That was my problem. You take a hit on any high-dollar car when you sell it.
What in the world are you talking about? It’s a matter of fact that diminished value is a thing, cars that have been in accidents lose more value.
Or is this another one of your nonsense posts like the one about higher mileage cars not being worth any less than cars with less miles because it’s an EV... completely disregarding other wear and tear items of a vehicle.

I recently got rear-ended by a distracted driver. The Tesla-approved body shop told me that the back aluminum panel was bent, so the insurance company's initial low-ball estimate of $ 2,000 is totally inadequate. The shop thought more like $ 10,000. The issue is: what can I do about the Diminished Value of my car, since there is now an accident on file with CarFax?
I live in New York, and was told I can only file such a Diminished Value Claim with the third party's insurance, not mine. Fortunately they accepted liability, but what should I do to have a chance to recoup anything close to the real drop in value? The third party's insurance company is very likely to lowball me again.

if you can’t get what it is worth in order to fix it, get a quote to fix the way you want....subtract the insurance payment...then go to small claims court and win a judgment against the other person...if he has a car or truck, get a sheriff to go and get it....sell it and you can get back your money

Our 2015 MS P85D got rear ended in early December 2018. Three "Tesla certified" independent body shops gave estimates but insisted the at fault person's insurance company wouldn't pay what they would charge to repair our car... and we'd be on the hood for the "supplement" charge. Plus they said getting parts was a nightmare and were booked up 6 to 8 weeks... and the repairs would take 2 to 3 weeks. OUCH

I took it to a newly opened Tesla corporate body shop in Walnut, CA and they gave me a ~ $2,000 estimate and guaranteed me my out of pocket would be $0... and they'd have my car fixed in 5 business days since they carry common repair parts like bumpers in stock. They delivered on both of these promises, and our car came back perfect!

I suggest you go to a Tesla corporate body shop, even if you have to drive a couple of hours. The "Tesla certified" independent body shops are the last place I'd take my Tesla.

Reactions: tyler2323
Thank you. A long drive for most of us. Perhaps they are planning to open other locations?

So here are your options
1. You need to figure out what kind of coverage they have. If they have the bare minimum you will never get anything from them as far as diminished value. I am not sure what the insurance requirements in New York are but in California and in Arizona it’s around $10k for their coverage to fix your car. That’s the minimum at least in AZ and in California I believe it’s less. Your insurance than has to pick up the rest of the bill.
2. So you need to figure out the coverage they have. Since it’s their fault you are able to get 10% of the value of the car for diminished value loss which usually is not going to cover the amount you will lose cause honestly it’s extremely hard to sale any car without a perfect title. Find out what the actual damage is cause the last thing you want is it too show any type of frame damage etc on the Carfax. I assume you were able to drive from the scene of the crash which will show on the Carfax and is a good thing. Assume no airbags deployed another plus. All these show on reports now justvso someone like you doesn’t get completely screwed when you go to sale it if the damage is minor.
3. Be careful of certified Tesla shops quotes as they are always way high cuz they can get away with it. Unfortunately you probably told them you have renters insurance which is why they are telling you such a long time to get the parts. A week or two weeks is usually the longest it should be. It sounds like it’s save to drive so tell them you still need the car for a relative etc even if they know u have renters insurance so they cannot charge u a daily fee for it just sitting at their shop while the parts come in.
4. You really need to figure out what the damage is and decide if it’s better to say less is damaged in order to keep the accident from diminishing the value too much. I can actually get you a brand new unpainted rear bumper for cheap.
5. If they have good insurance get the 10% value of your car and have any shop as long as there is no mechanical damage due the repairs that works on Tesla’s not just a certified shop. It doesn’t sound like the damage would warrant a certified shop as far as making sure it wouldn’t void your warranty having another body shop do the work. Or go the certified shop route but go and shop around. Tell them you need the car until they can actually start working on it.
Message me if you have any questions, concerns or if you need a bumper. Certified shops get discounts so they will only perform the work on a part they order even if you went and got it from Tesla yourself. Most are like this not all

Who r u insured with? Who is the at fault driver insured with?

Our 2015 MS P85D got rear ended in early December 2018. Three "Tesla certified" independent body shops gave estimates but insisted the at fault person's insurance company wouldn't pay what they would charge to repair our car... and we'd be on the hood for the "supplement" charge. Plus they said getting parts was a nightmare and were booked up 6 to 8 weeks... and the repairs would take 2 to 3 weeks. OUCH

I took it to a newly opened Tesla corporate body shop in Walnut, CA and they gave me a ~ $2,000 estimate and guaranteed me my out of pocket would be $0... and they'd have my car fixed in 5 business days since they carry common repair parts like bumpers in stock. They delivered on both of these promises, and our car came back perfect!

I suggest you go to a Tesla corporate body shop, even if you have to drive a couple of hours. The "Tesla certified" independent body shops are the last place I'd take my Tesla.

They do this crap on purpose just so they can bill daily while the car sits there. Getting parts in the past use to take awhile. Now they don’t but they will try to run the bill up by claiming they do. Tesla has a serious issue with this as well as if they become your insurance. The way they handle salvage cars is just a ploy to get other insurance companies to give up on insuring Tesla owners. Or charge them outrageous premiums cuz that money they get at auction is essential to your rates. If Tesla has the reputation that u cannot even use salvage cars their is no value to buy them at auction ultimately killing the other insurances. It’s smart idea by Tesla but shady af and has nothing to do with helping Tesla owners. Plus they will monitor your driving habits and make your rates high regardless. Why do most by a Tesla? Cause they are fast and fun. But that will cost you when they are insuring you cuz they will use all your driving habits against u regardless if u have accidents or tickets

Thank you. A long drive for most of us. Perhaps they are planning to open other locations?

Only go to raintree. Kaizen and New Image have had cases of keeping cars forever and doing nothing in repairs. Check their reviews online. Kaizen is a progressive shop and they are ok sometimes. They just opened a shop rt next to Tesla on university.
New image has gone downhill. They are friendly and we’re great but will take forever now. I could do one of their repairs in a day that they take a week to do