Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really important, but I ran my Signature VIN of 1045 through a quote a State Farm. It classified my VIN as a non-signature car performance model S. Actually, I put in Sig Performance and it said my VIN didn't match with this configuration. It matched with the non-Sig. More salt for the wound.

I have Allstate - It just classified me as a Roadster :)

Could it be that AllState does not yet have Model S in their database so selecting "Tesla" automatically classified it as Roadster? Except for the lack of established baseline on Model S (for accidents, thefts, etc.) wouldn't a sedan (Model S) be cheaper to insure than a two-seater (Roadster)? :confused:

I WAS on Allstate for the Roadster and after getting crystal clear with them that the Model S was a different car (they had a hard time understanding this) -- which isn't in their system -- they did a stated-amount quote which was double the rate of Progressive, so I switched.
I'm not sure you'd want to insure your Model S as if it were a Roadster -- it will probably cause claim issues. Hopefully they wouldn't *actually* underwrite the Model S as a Roadster because the VIN wouldn't indicate it's a Roadster.

I have Allstate. Prior to getting a VIN my agent used a Roadster priced out for my Model S to get an approximate quote. When I finally gave my agent my VIN she said it wasn't in their system. When I persisted she realisted that she was looking up 2013 cars instead of 2012.

Larry

To throw my hat into the ring, I got my quote yesterday and it'll be $583/year for my Model S through Liberty Mutual.

For context, 2 drivers, both under 30, 4 cars. Model S was the cheapest with the other cars being $793, $947 and $1224/year :scared:

Huntjo, I hope you are not just getting comp coverage, and not also collision. No matter how good a driver you are, there are too many crazies on the road (at least here in the DC area). So, if you have comp and collision, what is the total cost for 1 year coverage? Collison on the model S can cost more than comp.

I saved $1000and don't even have my Tesla yet.......

A few weeks ago I called my current Insurance company (Peerless) and asked them what my insurance payment will be when I switch from my Prius to the Model S. After several minutes, the agent on the phone said she didn't have any info in their system and wasn't sure if they could insure the car. She took my number and info and said she'd get back to me. 15 Minutes later she called back and said that at this time they were unable to insure the vehicle...She also said she went on Tesla's website and was very impressed. She was going to show this to her husband.

Someone at the L.I. Tesla store recommended that I call State Farm. I did and they not only quoted me a policy that had me paying less for the Tesla than my 4 year old Prius but I then $1000 per year cheaper on my current policy for two cars.

This just reminds me it pays to shop around!

I saved $1000and don't even have my Tesla yet.......

A few weeks ago I called my current Insurance company (Peerless) and asked them what my insurance payment will be when I switch from my Prius to the Model S. After several minutes, the agent on the phone said she didn't have any info in their system and wasn't sure if they could insure the car. She took my number and info and said she'd get back to me. 15 Minutes later she called back and said that at this time they were unable to insure the vehicle...She also said she went on Tesla's website and was very impressed. She was going to show this to her husband.

Someone at the L.I. Tesla store recommended that I call State Farm. I did and they not only quoted me a policy that had me paying less for the Tesla than my 4 year old Prius but I then $1000 per year cheaper on my current policy for two cars.

This just reminds me it pays to shop around!

I had a similar experience in that I had Progressive before - I went with Allstate when the quote for the Model S was high. They not only gave me a good rate, they discounted my homeowners insurance (since I would now be a multi-policy customer) the net is that my insurance cost is ending up 950/year Model S - 450/year home owners discount.

Last edited:
My agent at liberty mutual encourages me to shop my policy at least every 2 years. He d prefer I do it once per year, but knows I can't be bothered. So he rewrites my policy once per year and then if I find a better rate at the 2 year mark he gets "his people" to match it. Apparently even if you leave an insurer and come back, you could get discounts. Crazy.

Decided to log into my GEICO account and check to see if they finally have the Model S listed - and they do!

$86 more for 6 month premium ($172/year) over my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid! I live in Westchester, NY.

Aaron

Huntjo, I hope you are not just getting comp coverage, and not also collision. No matter how good a driver you are, there are too many crazies on the road (at least here in the DC area). So, if you have comp and collision, what is the total cost for 1 year coverage? Collison on the model S can cost more than comp.

Nah it's comp and collision both. I think theres a multicar discount and also discount from having home owners insurance with them.

Since Aaron mentioned GEICO has the Model S listed now, I logged in to my account and it quoted me $125/mo for a Model S 85KWh (non-perf). That's $20/mo more than my current 2010 Audi A5 2.0T.

This seems a bit high compared to other quotes here, so I'll be sure to shop around when the time comes.

USAA still doesn't have it in their system. Here's the conversation:

USAA: "Year, make, and model?"
Me: "2013 Tesla Model S."
USAA: Pause. . ."Who makes the Tesla?"
Me: "Tesla!"

They quoted it nonetheless, $1017/yr for a $75k sticker, $1114 for a $90k sticker with a $500 deductible, adding it to existing policy, etc. As has been pointed out, there's no differentiation between performance and non-performance at USAA, except on sticker price, which makes sense since it's not even in their system!

USAA still doesn't have it in their system. Here's the conversation:

USAA: "Year, make, and model?"
Me: "2013 Tesla Model S."
USAA: Pause. . ."Who makes the Tesla?"
Me: "Tesla!"

They quoted it nonetheless, $1017/yr for a $75k sticker, $1114 for a $90k sticker with a $500 deductible, adding it to existing policy, etc. As has been pointed out, there's no differentiation between performance and non-performance at USAA, except on sticker price, which makes sense since it's not even in their system!

I have USAA as well and asked them to add it to their system but they still haven't done it obviously.

Good lord! I just got off the phone with AAA and they quoted me $4,463 a year with a $1,000 deductable. That price was for 20,000 miles of driving each year and 25K/25K for comp & collision. I have no accidents, no tickets, and I've been with them for 6 years and have other policies with them! I think my only crime is that I’m in SoCal.

Needless to say... im going to take my business else where.