Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/Lightning/power surge?insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice to have some kind of power surge protector that fits in between my NEMA 14-15 and the HPWC or the mobile connector. Maybe it wouldn't work against a direct lightening strike, but perhaps it could fend off some other kind less severe damage. I would be happy just knowing which insurance company should I call if I find my car fried - homeowners insurance or car insurance?

My homeowner insurance and car insurance are both with the same company (Liberty Mutual) - so I'd just call my agent and let him figure out the details.

It would be nice to have some kind of power surge protector that fits in between my NEMA 14-15 and the HPWC or the mobile connector. Maybe it wouldn't work against a direct lightening strike, but perhaps it could fend off some other kind less severe damage.

That's what's nice about whole-house surge protection it mitigates voltage spikes to the whole-house by being connected to the service entrance panel and providing a path to ground during a surge. You don't have to try to protect just one outlet or device. If the roof gets hit by a direct lightening strike and burns the house down not even an expensive UPS system will protect you. The point is to add an extra layer of protection, and what the protector doesn't protect hopefully your various insurance policies will at least attempt to replace the damage. At this stage it may be a bit hard to replace a Signature Model S though.

Larry

That's what's nice about whole-house surge protection it mitigates voltage spikes to the whole-house by being connected to the service entrance panel and providing a path to ground during a surge.

True, yet I think the original concern is about the insurance policies, and reportedly the Model S charging system has some mitigation built in from voltage spikes and surges. A whole-house surge protector provides a second layer against non-lightning surges, but the question still exists as to who would cover the vehicle in case of a surge that overwhelmed any surge protection -- including a lightning strike. It's a point I'll have to make because I'm going to be using a different insurance company for the car vs. my home (my home insurance carrier wants approximately $1k more per year than my car insurance company to cover my vehicles, while my car insurance company won't cover my home because it is technically classified as a farm. Complexities...)

In Canada, virtually all Homeowner policies will exclude automobiles from coverage...that said, electrical fires / electrical damage in ICE vehicles would be covered by All Perils or Comprehensive coverage, so there should be no issue about this as Canadian Auto insurance policies do not differentiate between ICE vehicles & EV's (when considering coverage)...to the best of my knowledge, American auto insurer's would follow suit...

If this is bothering some of you, best check with your own insurance provider to be sure.

In all Tesla Vehicles there are fuses that can blow to protect your car. (I had (as in past) one blow on my roadster.... rather not go in depth on that one.)

Thanks for sharing this W.Petefish. However, now human nature is such that now we must know what happened! :)

If anything, sharing your experience could help others avoid a future blown fuse hassle and keep owners happy.

Care to elaborate on your story a little? I for one am interested, and I'm sure there are many of us here that feel the same way now that Model S are finally arriving at our doors!

PS I'm in DFW also.

Lightning strike? Surge protection?

So what happens with a lightning strike or brown outs? Surge protection built into charging system? We are told to always leave the car plugged in. Anyone worried about this? Warranty probably would not cover damage of this sort. Insurance claim?

Given the desire to keep merged and large threads lately, I'm curious how the mods will treat this potential off-topic...

The question
Ignoring battery lifetime for the moment, how fast could a direct lightning strike charge an 85 kWh Model S if protective circuitry didn't intervene?

One estimate I saw for a typical lightning bolt was 215 kWh. You'll have to divert the extra energy into your flux capacitor.

Taking battery lifetime into account, let's see... I'd say the pack would last approximately 5 milliseconds.

So what happens with a lightning strike or brown outs? Surge protection built into charging system? We are told to always leave the car plugged in. Anyone worried about this? Warranty probably would not cover damage of this sort. Insurance claim?

Not only is there a surge protector in the car itself, there is also one in the UMC (and HPWC). That's why there is a reset button on the side of it. It also detects and stops ground faults. Worst case scenario, you'll have a blow UMC on your hands, but not a blown Model S :)

Before I became addicted to this forum I used to hang out at a popular home theater forum. It was common practice for forum members to spend several hundred dollars, sometimes a thousand or so, for point of use surge protection to protect the expenisve electronics. Even if it is unlikely for the Model S to be damaged by a surge, UMCs and HPWCs are moderately expensive and so are other electronics in my house, such as lighting control systems, etc., which can't be placed behind point of use surge protectors. So for a few hundred dollars it made sense to me to install whole house surge protection to provide another layer of protection which will protect these Tesla devices and my $100,000+ car, as well as the rest of the sensitive electronics in my home.

Of course it won't guarantee that my house, garage and contents won't burn to the ground if the house suffers a direct hit from a lightning strike, but it is a reasonable and prudent measure to take to minimize the damage done by utility switching surges caused by nearby lightning strikes.

Larry

Last edited: