Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Loaner Situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I booked my Model S annual service over 6 weeks ahead of time, and specifically requested a P85+. Not a single Tesla loaner - Model S or Roadster. This was the week of Dec 17 at the Fremont service center - right at the factory! They are driving new cars out continuously. I offered to come back and swap my Enterprise rental for a P85+ during the other 3 days they had my car, and still no loaners.

Speaking of the Fremont service center. I would stop by there frequently to make a decision on exterior car color. I'd notice all the time Teslas sitting outside with price sheets on them. Many times there were 2-3 of them, but sometimes I'd see up to 10 Teslas sitting outside with price sheets. Then, they'd quickly disappear. Are these canceled orders, loaners going out, or people's cars before they pick them up? (why would they put the price sheet on?)

Speaking of the Fremont service center. I would stop by there frequently to make a decision on exterior car color. I'd notice all the time Teslas sitting outside with price sheets on them. Many times there were 2-3 of them, but sometimes I'd see up to 10 Teslas sitting outside with price sheets. Then, they'd quickly disappear. Are these canceled orders, loaners going out, or people's cars before they pick them up? (why would they put the price sheet on?)

When I picked my 85 up at Fremont last Saturday it did not have any kind of "price sheet" on it or on any other of the dozen cars being picked up that day that I saw.

Mine had it. I suspect the cars are delivered with price sheets which are then removed as the car is prepped?
Loaners are always in short supply near the end of the quarter. Especially year end, I would guess, as people want the rebates. Not sure exactly why, but it seems to be the pattern over the last few years for an uptick of EV sales. Perhaps it is the relatively short delay until getting the refund. Or the fear the rebates will end?

Yes, I understand that's not what *you* (or some others) want, but there is it.

Yes, I understand that Tesla has to make their numbers, but *they* can't have it both ways. Elon got up on stage and told us they'd have the best service program anywhere, with P85+ loaners. You can't get the benefit of making that promise AND fail to deliver on it whenever you think there is a minor financial benefit.

Yes we all support Tesla for the amazing things they are doing; but we also need to let them know that if they're going to make a promise, they need to execute.

Yes, I understand that Tesla has to make their numbers, but *they* can't have it both ways. Elon got up on stage and told us they'd have the best service program anywhere, with P85+ loaners. You can't get the benefit of making that promise AND fail to deliver on it whenever you think there is a minor financial benefit.

Agreed 100%. On top of that, Jerome told us at TESLIVE that the lack of loaners was a short term production issue that would be solved over the summer with the factory dedicating a percentage of monthly production to maintaining the loaner fleet.

If they're committed to having a loaner fleet then selling all the loaners every quarter doesn't help the numbers, it just steals sales from the next quarter.