Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker - Q1 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New member, first post:
S85
ordered and confirmed 1/4/14
I was given the option of picking it up in February or in March. I elected March.
My Tesla says: "We have begun sourcing parts"
email from Tesla sent 1/15/14 says "You are all set for your Model S Delivery on Friday March 14[SUP]th[/SUP] at 10:00AM."
I called today and no VIN assigned yet

Awesome, Congrats!!

Dec. 18----------Jan. 18.........Counting Down. Day by Day.

IMG_1400.JPG

For those not already aware, @KaJu74 added columns to track "Order Date" (separate from "Confirmed" date, for those of us who did not confirm on the same day as we ordered) and "was this the earliest delivery date". If your "Order Date" is not already provided, please take a moment to confirm or reconfirm the date you first submitted the order, and confirm the value in the "was this the earliest delivery date" column is accurate. That column should say "No" if you deliberately asked for a delayed delivery date, or "Yes" if you wanted your car delivered as soon as it was ready.

Latest version of the google doc was also pasted into the first post.

@KaJu74

No Vin yet. I called last week when our internet went down a 1/2 day. He said they would called as soon as it was assigned. My order and confirm was the same day Dec 18. I had placed an order for a Model X. Then when they said delivery 2015. I called and changed it to a Model S.

Time a question in this round.

Has anyone of you regretted the order?

Power anyone worry about the problems that exist?
- Fire in the accident with the car.
- Fire when loading the car.
- Leaking sunroof, stuck.
- Very soft paint
- Air suspension lowers no longer automatically.
- Charging power was reduced.
etc.

What do you think about the "problems"?
I would be interested.

I have no regrets so far and am going into this eyes wide open. I don't worry at all about the fires (from accidents), given the infrequency relative to ICE cars and the overall safety of the car and very safe egress of the passengers in the car during the accidents. I am not getting the high power charger, so I haven't bothered investigating those issues. I had a NEMA 15-40 (or whatever they cal the 240V, 50A installation) done in my garage by a very reputable and knowledgable pair of electricians...I already have a monitored smoke detector on the entrance from the garage to the house, so I feel any potential electrical fire issues, in general, I should have fair warning, but I don't think the risk there is any higher from charging any other EV in the garage, so, again, not considering either of the fire reports as anything that would have impacted my decision to buy.

The other issues, other than soft paint, all seem temporary, and so far Tesla has shown strong commitment to fixing mechanical and software issues with the car, so that, to me, shows a commitment you don't see from any other car company, aside from specific warranty coverage.

Regarding soft paint and air suspension, I am having a detailer put on a a paint protector and clear bra, which I would have done even without soft paint, just in an interest to keep this car looking nicer than any of my past cars, which I was not very good about protecting the paint on; and I chose coil suspension, mostly because it wasn't important enough for me, over other options, and I worried a little about the cost to repair a problem with air suspension if it broke outside of warranty period.

So, short answer, no regrets, but my car hasn't even started production yet. I haven't read any posts from anyone else who had regrets, other than those who decided they wanted a P or P+ after driving the standard S for around a year, and those folks seemed to have no issue selling their car and buying a new one. I doubt I will have that urge, myself, and I picked all my other options for the "long haul"...hopefully 10 years or so!

- Very soft paint
etc.

I would be interested.

If like me.

I want to drive the car very long.

He'll have a complete sealing of the paint donated.
Also, the leather in the interior is sealed. I've decided to go with the brown leather and often wear jeans. The soil the seats but most strongly.
The rear windows I want then let even drown.
The Frunk and trunk lighting I will expand as recommended in TeslaTap.
A protective film in Matt for the screen is already on his way.

I don't regret about buying. I remember when the Chevy Volt came out they had 3 fires. The thing is and Ice car can Explode. I get this all the time. "Is that the car that catches on fire. Then I show them this on my I phone

GM recalling 370,000 full-size trucks for fire risks | The Detroit News

- - - Updated - - -

I will be keeping my J1772 that I used with the Leaf. I have a farm house with a L 60 220V twist lock that I also used with the Leaf. The Leaf Charging cord was modified by this guy in CA. to do 110a and 220V
I was lucky that the J1772 was plenty long.

IMG_1396.JPG

- Very soft paint
etc.

I would be interested.
I have absolutely no regrets. The only thing that might change is if they brought outa new AWD shortly after my delivery but even then I think I might wait it out before trying to change. I do spend time on various forums and sometimes contribute. I'm sure I will complain about anything that seems sub par, but to put it into perspective I've never bothered to spend this much time on a forum for any other vehicle. All vehicles have faults but the Tesla is continuously improving, thanks in no small part to the active passionate community of owners. I actually think that all of us are going to see far less problems thanks to the many vocal early adopters, particularly on this forum. My impression from other posts is that the soft paint is likely to be due to the "just in time" provisioning where many conventional cars have more time for the paint to harden. I'm also doing a wrap which I think is not uncommon for anyone buying a car of this value.
To be clear, I have zero concern with fires. I think there is a huge difference between having slow starting fires after a high speed impact with a large stationary object, and typical ICE fire issues. e.g. having a vehicle catch fire while idling (Chevy trucks) or a vehicle leaking gasoline through the engine area (latest Ford Edge recall). My biggest concern would have been the cost involved in a battery impact/fire but the new warranty terms really alleviate that. The battery design and location are a large part of why the car is so safe.

- Very soft paint
etc.

I would be interested.

HA! people at work are more trying to make me regret this than anything. But it mostly stems from the fact that I went with regular seats and such. They were like, dude, you are already spending 94k, you should have just paid the extra and gotten leather seats...

But otherwise, no, my only concern has been affordability. I have checked and rechecked, and triple checked my finances to ensure that I would have no issue affording it. (I am really particular on making sure I don't just needlessly put myself into debt.)

As far as the rest goes:
- Don't hit anything with your car
- Don't have poor wiring in your house
- I thought this was already fixed???
- I will likely flip out over the first few scratches when they happen, but in the end, the paint is eventually going to get messed up... No sense in getting upset about it.
- didn't get the air suspension, but if I did, with the expected release of the new update this will hopefully soon be a non-issue.
- It wasn't reduced - per se (as far as I understand it). If you have a properly wired house, and good power going into your home, then you should be good here. But I am doing the HPWC and I think this is really only been affecting the 14-50 plugs.

Really if I could get one thing from Tesla, it would be better/clearer communication. I know they are trying to balance the news stories with what is actually happening so there are positive spins on everything, but come on. Don't hide things from us. Tell us when you are going to do something BEFORE you do it. So we at least have a heads up!

- - - Updated - - -

New member, first post:
S85
ordered and confirmed 1/4/14
I was given the option of picking it up in February or in March. I elected March.
My Tesla says: "We have begun sourcing parts"
email from Tesla sent 1/15/14 says "You are all set for your Model S Delivery on Friday March 14[SUP]th[/SUP] at 10:00AM."
I called today and no VIN assigned yet

Wait... what? how in the? You have a regular 85... confirmed like 5 days after me, and you got a Feb option? Where are you located at? (Can't find rowntree). Are you picking this up at the factory or something? Because I am super jelly right now.

I dropped by the Tesla Marietta Showroom grand opening this morning and took some pics...sharing here, and will likely post these and maybe a few more pics in a more topical thread!

View attachment 41279View attachment 41280
View attachment 41282View attachment 41283
View attachment 41284View attachment 41285View attachment 41281

Wow! Whose roadster is that? haha! Kid looks happy to be inside! Also that is a really high turn out of Model S's to that opening. Can't believe how many people came to Georgia for this!

Wait... what? how in the? You have a regular 85... confirmed like 5 days after me, and you got a Feb option? Where are you located at? (Can't find rowntree). Are you picking this up at the factory or something? Because I am super jelly right now.

I'm wondering this as well! I confirmed on 12/8 and still don't even have a VIN let alone a delivery date. I see several others confirmed after me that now have delivery dates. I ordered a regular 85 as well.