Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker - Q1 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today is my delivery day... hadn't heard from my DS so I emailed her this morning... said car should be arriving after 5PM and that delivery driver will call me... still haven't heard from the driver or any updates... is this normal??

Boy that sounds awful. Did it arrive?

I'm assuming there is no service center near you? Because there is no service center where I live, an independent delivery company was organized to drive my car to me from the nearest SC (about 600 miles). Tesla asked the driver to call me and in my case the driver was very diligent. He called me when he left and texted me his location along the way - including a 20 minute warning when he was about to arrive. these delivery drivers seem a bit of a wild card in the delivery equation. In my case I thought the car was leaving Vancouver on a Tuesday but it was Wednesday night by the time the driver left. In your case it seems your driver is not as diligent.

Congrats to those who have received their cars since my last post! Sorry midlife that your car has been out for so long, hope you get it back soon!

update on my car. Emailed my DS who told me the expected Production Start Date is set for March 17, which should easily keep me in line for March 28 delivery. Got approved for my loan today as well! 1.99% for 72 months, so really happy that my credit hasn't moved which would prevent me from getting the best rate. I have also found out that they normally ship out your HPWC 2 weeks before delivery, but he was nice enough to go ahead and ship it out at my request now so I should have that in soon.

I think it was gpetti who was taking about issues with their electrician. I can concur with that. I never heard back from the first place with an estimate, and now I am scheduled for a new guy that will hopefully give me a decent estimate and we can get this thing rolling. I still need to get in touch with the power company to see about getting enrolled in their pilot program. If I can then my normal power use will stay at 11 cents, and the car charging (on a separate meter) will be only 4 cents (max rate is like 26 if I do it during the day, but why would I do that?) so basically I would be driving my car for nothing!

anyway good luck to you all who have recently ordered! I hope the wait doesn't feel too long for you. I know I am constantly trying to keep myself entertained!

Like you, my HPWC should be arriving soon (Hopefully Friday, but likely Monday).

According to my uncle (who has an electrical background) many electricians do not like giving estimates and will refuse/delay doing so. To me, this seems really sketchy but it fits with my experience so far. Of four companies I contacted, only one bothered to follow-up.

Like you, my HPWC should be arriving soon (Hopefully Friday, but likely Monday).

According to my uncle (who has an electrical background) many electricians do not like giving estimates and will refuse/delay doing so. To me, this seems really sketchy but it fits with my experience so far. Of four companies I contacted, only one bothered to follow-up.

Then why would they 1: Mention they provide free estimates. and 2: Actually waste their time to come out and look over the property? The second one being the most obvious question. This particular company, their main office is over 15 miles away from me (which may not seem like much, but in Northern, Virginia, that might as well be an hour drive). That is a lot of time to waste sending someone all the way to my house, and then have them go back to the office, and never follow up.

Also, unless the price came back to some ungodly amount of money (Like 2000$ to install a single 100A breaker and run a 6ft cable, and screw/connect the HPWC to it) then I would have gone with them on the first choice. But I am in no way going to just blindly use someone who I have never used before, and just "trust" that they will charge me a fair price AFTER the work has been completed (and I am therefore obligated to pay). Anyway, just seems like bad business if you ask me. In an area where if you search something like Angie's list for "Electrician" you get back 500 results.... you would think businesses would be fighting for you... not the other way around.

I can't speak to your electricians, but I have enough experience with contractors to know that in many cases, their organizational skills are lacking. Sometimes they do want the work, and maybe they're very good at the trade, but don't have the business acumen or people skills to know that they need to follow up. Usually, you're getting the names from a "recommended" list either through friends or online. If so, these guys are also very busy because they're "the good ones". I'm not making excuses for anyone, I'm always baffled as to why it takes so much of my time to give someone else money - just my observations.

That said, my HPWC arrived two days ago. Solar installation starts today and will go into early next week. As a function of solar installation, the service to my home (currently 100A service!) will be upgraded to 400A service, which brings a bunch of other electrical work into the mix. Hopefully that'll happen next week, followed by the installation of my HPWC.

My tractor is going to miss being parked in the garage.

I'm assuming there is no service center near you? Because there is no service center where I live, an independent delivery company was organized to drive my car to me from the nearest SC (about 600 miles). Tesla asked the driver to call me and in my case the driver was very diligent. He called me when he left and texted me his location along the way - including a 20 minute warning when he was about to arrive. these delivery drivers seem a bit of a wild card in the delivery equation. In my case I thought the car was leaving Vancouver on a Tuesday but it was Wednesday night by the time the driver left. In your case it seems your driver is not as diligent.

the car came! :] love it. I'm about 180 miles from the fremont factory, but the delivery guy was actually an in house Tesla employee. He was really friendly, I guess my DS had given him the wrong number so he was unable to contact me. After emailing my DS again after I got off work, she responded with... "I apologize I gave the driver the incorrect phone number. He is on his way and will be arriving in 15-20 minutes"
Car's great. Company's great. even the delivery guy was great. think my delivery experience was unpleasant only because of my DS

Then why would they 1: Mention they provide free estimates. and 2: Actually waste their time to come out and look over the property? The second one being the most obvious question. This particular company, their main office is over 15 miles away from me (which may not seem like much, but in Northern, Virginia, that might as well be an hour drive). That is a lot of time to waste sending someone all the way to my house, and then have them go back to the office, and never follow up.

Also, unless the price came back to some ungodly amount of money (Like 2000$ to install a single 100A breaker and run a 6ft cable, and screw/connect the HPWC to it) then I would have gone with them on the first choice. But I am in no way going to just blindly use someone who I have never used before, and just "trust" that they will charge me a fair price AFTER the work has been completed (and I am therefore obligated to pay). Anyway, just seems like bad business if you ask me. In an area where if you search something like Angie's list for "Electrician" you get back 500 results.... you would think businesses would be fighting for you... not the other way around.

As I mentioned above, only 1/4 of those I contacted bothered to show up even to provide an estimate. It's easy to say something is free if you never do it. :rolleyes:

My town is pretty small. You can get anywhere in about 15-20 minutes. And there aren't more than about a half dozen electricians in the area, so I guess they have enough business to be able to leave me hanging and not think twice. It's definitely bad business but what are you going to do? It's not illegal for them to ignore you.

All the internet guides say basically the same thing about electricians:

1) Check qualifications/licensing/insurance
2) Get multiple quotes
3) Ask for references

I'm lucky if I can get one to take my money, much less be choosy. :redface: