Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tic Toc.......
Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 10.57.00 AM.png

LOTS of blues coming out lately it seems! ;-) Enjoy! If you switched status today (Friday) that most likely means your heading into the paint shop today, to paint, dry, check out - so you'll build over the weekend days mostly ;-) I just hope the weekend crew is happy mainly and does a good job for ya hehehe! Now some of us are building today probably - so yeah, Friday, sure hope those QA processes work well!

Delivery took place last Thursday. Here are some pictures of the car. It has a few defects, and I have an appointment to take it in for repairs on July 1. One piece of advice I would give to you when picking up is to make them demonstrate it will charge. I got home and the charge port door would not open. Still won't open unless I bang on it for a minute or two with my hand, as the service center people advised me to do when I called them.

If you want to catch the problems I have with my car, check the following:

Open the frunk. I found the drivers's side floor mat in the frunk of the car when I got home. When I went to install it, one of the little round plastic pieces that was supposed to be in the carpet for the mat to attach to was laying upside down unattached. Perhaps this is why they put the mat in the frunk, not sure.

Second issue found in the frunk - there is a large plastic piece across the top, right under the windshield. Mine is detached on the left (passenger) side and cannot be snapped in or pushed down into place.

Open all four doors and check the rubber gaskets on the car frame (wouldn't hurt to check the ones on the doors either). On my car in the frame of the rear door on the drivers side there's a loose gasket. I discovered it when I was drying the car after washing it.

Check all four door handles - while they are extended. My driver's door handle has small but noticeable scratches on the top. Again, found only when washing the car. They're not as easy to see in the day but stand out in lower lighting.

Last, the dash squeaks just exactly like my 2013 car did. Tesla fixed this with a piece of felt applied under the dash above the 17" touchscreen. Don't know why in the world they don't just put this in the car at the factory.

For all the people who will attack this post (the Tesla defenders crowd which dominate this forum), give it a rest. I love Tesla and my Model S. However, its going to be a long time before Tesla has 100 years of car making experience like GM, Ford, etc, and we're going to suffer those growing pains with them. There's no reason to "hide" the problems, or not talk about them like we're ashamed of them. Posting and sharing is the best way to help Tesla make a better car. That's all I want to do. If the 2017 Model S is as much better features-wise (in my opinion) I'll trade my 2015 for a 2017. I just hope the dash squeak is fixed by then!

Also, I admit I should have looked at the car harder before I pushed the "Accept Delivery" button on Whitney's IPad. That's my fault. But would it really have changed anything if I had? They are taking care of me - gave me no static at all about fixing the above items. I guess one thing it would do would be to force them to actually look at the car before they deliver it. They obviously didn't check mine too closely - the floor mat problem couldn't have been missed by anybody giving even a cursory glance at the car. I was so damn excited to be getting the car I didn't even notice it had no floor mat.

Last, I am putting a coat of Zaino car polish on it, and it looks great so far. I'll post a post-Zaino picture if I have the energy.

IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_3001.JPG

Last edited:
I've waited since October 2013 to get my first Tesla MS. I live in the Midwest so AWD was important for me. I finally confirmed a P85D on May 23, 2015. The MS status changed on Friday, May 29 to build status. The P85D finished the build status on June 4th and went back to the production queue...can anyone explain why MS's go back to the production queue after being built? It was only in this queue for a short while...I asked my DS about the status and he said it was undergoing final inspections. Are final inspections part of the queue process after a MS is built?

Later in the day the status changed to In Transit. My DS said the P85D was shipping via rail to Chicago and then by truck to Columbus, Ohio (where I live).

What is the typical transit time to Chicago on rail? I wish Tesla could give owners more of a status than having to rely on contacting our DS. My DS has been great...I don't want to keep bugging him for status updates.

The DS said he anticipates delivery to be close to June 25 (right around my birthday). This would mean close to 20 days of transit, etc. before delivery. This seems like a long time, but I am not familiar with the shipping industry.

I have been looking at the Google Spreadsheet and it shows recent transit/delivery times for the Midwest varying from about 10 days to 25+ days.

Can anyone comment on recent transit times through Chicago? Chicago seems to be a hub for MS's.

Thanks.

Electrical_eng my MS was stuck in Chicago for at least a week. It took about two weeks to get there on rail. Rest assured that the car is better protected in a train.

It's a painful wait, but it will all be worth it. It took a full month from production end to make it to a SC and prepped. Once at the SC, the service teams would like 48 hours to check it out and do some QC before the keys hit my hand.

Open the frunk. I found the drivers's side floor mat in the frunk of the car when I got home. When I went to install it, one of the little round plastic pieces that was supposed to be in the carpet for the mat to attach to was laying upside down unattached. Perhaps this is why they put the mat in the frunk, not sure.

I may be thinking of something different, so this may not help, but I remember something about things like that that just screw into the carpet. I vaguely recall having to do something with things like that when I removed the stock carpets to replace them with the rubber all weather floor mats.

Electrical_eng my MS was stuck in Chicago for at least a week. It took about two weeks to get there on rail. Rest assured that the car is better protected in a train.

It's a painful wait, but it will all be worth it. It took a full month from production end to make it to a SC and prepped. Once at the SC, the service teams would like 48 hours to check it out and do some QC before the keys hit my hand.

Thanks, pmoa. I need the extra time to install the wall charger with 100 Amp circuit breaker. I also ordered the dual charger so I'll have to wait on the SC to install it. I am hoping for an "insane" birthday though (June 25)!

Got my 70D today! Only issue so far is a ground fault in hwpc and I think that's my electrician's fault. Also, my car has LTE, which is cool.

So far I'm loving it. No regrets at all. Except maybe that the drunk is much smaller in the 70D than past model S.

Last edited:
I've waited since October 2013 to get my first Tesla MS. I live in the Midwest so AWD was important for me. I finally confirmed a P85D on May 23, 2015. The MS status changed on Friday, May 29 to build status. The P85D finished the build status on June 4th and went back to the production queue...can anyone explain why MS's go back to the production queue after being built? It was only in this queue for a short while...I asked my DS about the status and he said it was undergoing final inspections. Are final inspections part of the queue process after a MS is built?

Later in the day the status changed to In Transit. My DS said the P85D was shipping via rail to Chicago and then by truck to Columbus, Ohio (where I live).

What is the typical transit time to Chicago on rail? I wish Tesla could give owners more of a status than having to rely on contacting our DS. My DS has been great...I don't want to keep bugging him for status updates.

The DS said he anticipates delivery to be close to June 25 (right around my birthday). This would mean close to 20 days of transit, etc. before delivery. This seems like a long time, but I am not familiar with the shipping industry.

I have been looking at the Google Spreadsheet and it shows recent transit/delivery times for the Midwest varying from about 10 days to 25+ days.

Can anyone comment on recent transit times through Chicago? Chicago seems to be a hub for MS's.

Thanks.

There are actually a number of us it seems expecting cars in Chicago area in the next week or so. My should finish production tomorrow, Sunday 7th, and then ship out to Chicago. DS told me should delivery around 21st of June, to 29th at latest. That's 1.5 to 2 weeks, but who knows as it may vary a little.

They could be bundling all of us up into a similar rail company/shipment in next couple days it may seem.

-T

Thanks for the tips electricfan, beautiful car! It's good to see another Midnight Silver.. can't wait to drive mine home soon! 5 full days in production now, hopefully a status change tmrw. On Fri, I paid the balance off on the car... feels weird paying off a car and not having it yet. :scared:

Delivery took place last Thursday. Here are some pictures of the car. It has a few defects, and I have an appointment to take it in for repairs on July 1. One piece of advice I would give to you when picking up is to make them demonstrate it will charge. I got home and the charge port door would not open. Still won't open unless I bang on it for a minute or two with my hand, as the service center people advised me to do when I called them.

Where did the delivery take place? At the SC or at your home? I don't understand how a SC could deliver a car where the charge port wouldn't work and any bit of carpet wouldn't be installed. On my delivery I failed to test drive the car before I accepted. So now I have a dash rattle/squeak near the touchscreen. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the two. Maybe it's closer to a squeak than a rattle on my car. It occurs when I'm going over certain surfaces. It's really annoying.

The SC took care of everything that was obvious. I haven't washed it yet so I'm sure I'll see a few things.

The only thing outside of the dash issue is there is a trim piece under the back rear that doesn't quite align. I'll get that fixed sometime.

With my car it felt like the entire delivery was a bit rushed. They kept talking about how they delivered 20 cars that day, and there was car after car waiting to be delivered. It was rather astonishing because all these cars are around the $100K mark. It was crazy. Sure most of it has to do with the pending sales tax exemption.

When I emailed my DS about the Dash squeak/rattle all I got back was an apology and that a "customer concern" was created. That was yesterday so I'll probably know by tomorrow. I imagine it's going to be awhile before one of the two SC's in my state can get to it.

At least now that I have the car I can understand why people are overlooking these annoyances. They are because it's all rather otherworldly when driving it.
There is this trade of between the luxury/trim/fit that I'm used to with German cars. I give up a bit of that in exchange for this kind of almost unreal connection to the road. I say go and it GOES. I let go and it slows in nice proportion. It's like this weird teleporter that jumps you from point to point.

At other times it will probably cause me to go bald from frustration.

We also have a 70D that should be finishing up production very soon, that we will pick up in Chicago. Can't wait!!

I'm another Highland Park Chicago customer. I've visited the Santa Monica CA and Washington DC stores over the past year and the Highland Park store is very busy by comparison. My P85D is in production and ETA is Late June. So excited. Midnight silver, auto, lighting, dual chargers, 19" cyclones, next gen seats, air suspension