Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S owners who have blacked out chrome trim/handles/etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An awesome forum member/ Tesla buddy autoflexed my ride recently, giving it the murdered out look as well. The best part about the process is that it is all completely reversible.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    509.8 KB · Views: 972
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 973
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 960
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 974
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 951
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 946
Last edited:
i'm getting my car wrapped in February. We're going to color-match the door handles and black out some of the chrome. i know the color isn't everyone's cup of tea but i have no reservations about that. :)

attached are the mockups.

i think i should do something with the rims at some point.

Attachments

• Tesla-Purple-Front.png
    Tesla-Purple-Front.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 908
  • Tesla-Purple-Rear.png
    Tesla-Purple-Rear.png
    193 KB · Views: 916
I have a mix of dip and vinyl wrap. Seems to be holding up fairly well after 4+ months. I have a little peel at the side mirrors from the motorized fold in. I generally disable the auto fold in mirrors bc of this, but occasionally (narrow street parking or tight spot) I manually fold them in. I will probably get the side mirror housing painted black at some point, but it otherwise still looks crisp.

Attachments

• IMG_20160901_090236.jpg
    IMG_20160901_090236.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 942
i'm getting my car wrapped in February. We're going to color-match the door handles and black out some of the chrome. i know the color isn't everyone's cup of tea but i have no reservations about that. :)

attached are the mockups.

i think i should do something with the rims at some point.
You're such a Joker!

Seriously though, check out @wk057 as he has a beautifully wrapped dark purple Model X (and changed his screens so the car is the right color on the screens.

Reactions: Pezpunk
Anyone with a white Model S have done the blackout treatment?

Here's an old shot of mine after I did the chrome delete but before I completely wrapped the car in blue satin chrome. I loved this panda/storm trooper look and I'll happily go back to it when I get tired of the current wrap or it gets beat up too bad.

La Cantera.jpg

Whats the cost of wrapping the whole car? Just trying to get an idea thanks

It really does vary due to several factors. The material ranges quite a bit depending on what type you choose. For example, in general, chromes are more expensive. In addition, chromes are a bit more challenging to install because if they get stretched/heated too much it affects the color, whereas other types hold up better to stretching/heating. Also, if you want the door jambs and such wrapped, they are more difficult and will add to the time. There are some that will disassemble a lot of the car to do a really detailed job and, of course, that will be more time consuming and cost more.

But to give a rough idea I'd say the material alone can range from $700-2000 (most probably fall around $1000-1500). And the installation can range from $1500-4000; higher end of this range for more difficult materials, wrapping door jambs, disassembling, etc. Hope that helps give you a bit of an idea. Find a good, local installer and they should be able to give you an estimate depending on what you want done.

Edit: Probably add about $500-800 to also wrap the trim. The above was my guess on how much it is to wrap the rest of the car.

Getting a bath tomorrow, but here you go. I did it about a year ago. Everything is black gloss except the P and the D. The ludicrous line is black too. Love it. You can't tell but the plate frame is a blacked out SpaceX frame.

IMO Tesla's have too much chrome and blacking them out makes them look much more aggressive. A lot of people that don't know about Tesla will ask me if mine is a special model.
View media item 115750View media item 115749View media item 115748View media item 115747View media item 115746View media item 115746

I was just going to come in here and say I dont understand why people do matte black on a glossy colored car. Unless your car is wrapped matte it doesn't look right to have matte with glossy.

Glossy black looks the best. Very nice. Although I'd probably have that SpaceX text visible because SpaceX is awesome