TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S owners who have blacked out chrome trim/handles/etc

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rory breaker, Aug 18, 2016.

1. derekmw

derekmw Member

Sorry I should have been more specific. I only wrapped the chrome on the side skirts/door sills to try to match the non-painted side skirts.

I do agree with what someone told you that a wrap won't stick well on the actual side skirts since the surface is not smooth. The chrome part I did I hope holds up but I won't really know until more time passes (I just wrapped these chrome surfaces last week).

2. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

I had the work done in Houston. PM me if you want me to refer you to him. Cost was $1750 + new badges but that included some vinyl work and paint/installation of a spoiler (not pictured) . I don't know what he'd charge for just the paint and I'm assuming I got a discount for multiple jobs. It was also a lot more work than he originally anticipated.

He disassembled and prepped the chrome. He's a Tesla certified shop as well. It's a huge job to do it right but I only wanted to do it once.

I don't have final photos since my car is still getting a lot of other work but here's some in progress of the paint.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  3. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I did and it's holding up well.

4. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

@HebrHmr that looks great! I can imagine it's a TON of work to paint all that chrome properly so I think what you paid is very good considering you had some other vinyl and spoiler work done too. Houston isn't too far from me so I might consider that! Please PM me the info at your convenience. Thanks!

5. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

hi all. the installer i want to work with says that he can fully wrap most of the chrome pieces, w the exception of the tesla logos and tesla wording on the trunk.

for those pieces, he would either wrap it and a hairline amount of chrome would show, or i'd have to plasti dip it w another vendor.

for those who blacked out chrome and wrapped the logos/wording, do you have a small amount of chrome showing and is it noticeable?

thanks
    Gabe

6. aus

aus Member

7. m2140

m2140 Member

Here my white model S. I used Plasti dip in red and black. Logos went in red, all chrome trim in black and i added a red venial stripe accent.

IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0274.JPG

8. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

I can't see wrap working on the badging at all. RPM Tesla has precut vinyl for the logos and trunk trim lettering but you would have chrome showing on the edges. A lot of people do it this way. The model badging you'll need to either plastidip or order new ones and paint.

I painted it all black and got dark red vinyl for the front logo and trunk trim. I ordered new badging to be painted because once removed it would be very difficult to reattach with fresh double-sided tape. See #62 for pictures. Doesn't have the vinyl on yet.

• Like x 1
  9. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

'14 & '15 W/ Refresh Fascia + Side Skirts + Chrome Delete

Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia Tesla Model S Solid Black - 25.jpg Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia - P85+ - 1.jpg

10. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

in addition to confirming that most logos are plast-dipped, i also learned today that the trunk trim has changed on recent models to be more pronounced/raised so the tesla wording can't be fully wrapped. i guess previous models could be wrapped but the latest versions need to be left exposed chrome or painted.