Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs BMW M5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S vs BMW M5 finish line Photo on October 9, 2012 #175309 from Rumor Central

Tesla-Model-S-vs-BMW-M5-finish-line.jpg

An answer to 29 pages of discussion. Someone at Automobile Mag must have caught wind of this thread. He did say at the end that the Model S won 2 out of 3 times. Also the article said the M5 was $106K. The Model S was a Sig and you could have done the same thing with $85K straight Performance version. That's a $20K savings that wasn't even talked about because the only cars out there are Sigs with their premium price.

Yeah, totally smooth takeoff! I plan on trying this every time I see something fast :)

In fairness it's a bastardized drag race to 100mph (or something) as opposed to a 1/4 mile. Plenty of 1/8th mile drag strips out there though :)

I'd love to see if Automobile magazine posts their methodology. Whether the M5 used launch control is a biggie, but its possible that the P85 wins regardless in a head to head situation because of the complexity and mechanical delays that the M5 has in executing a proper launch.

In fairness it's a bastardized drag race to 100mph (or something) as opposed to a 1/4 mile. Plenty of 1/8th mile drag strips out there though :)

I'd love to see if Automobile magazine posts their methodology. Whether the M5 used launch control is a biggie, but its possible that the P85 wins regardless in a head to head situation because of the complexity and mechanical delays that the M5 has in executing a proper launch.

Yes and also remember that where each car is positioned isn't representative of 100mph. The Tesla is going to travel further, going to 100mph, as most of it's acceleration is at the low end, where the M5 is the other way around.

But the video speaks for itself. The Model S is going to beat the M5 doing anything a semi-sane person would do on a public road.

An answer to 29 pages of discussion. Someone at Automobile Mag must have caught wind of this thread. He did say at the end that the Model S won 2 out of 3 times. Also the article said the M5 was $106K. The Model S was a Sig and you could have done the same thing with $85K straight Performance version. That's a $20K savings that wasn't even talked about because the only cars out there are Sigs with their premium price.

It's entirely possible. This thread was one of the top Google search results that came up for any "Tesla Model S" searches from June (when it was created) to early August. For a good part of that time it was listed in the top 2 results. A lot of reporters writing their stories during that period had a decent chance of finding the thread in their research.

Tesla Model S vs BMW M5 Drag Race - YouTube

So, after all the discussion, the clip shows that the Model S is at least as fast to 100mph as an M5, if not outright damn quick compared to just about every thing else.

But just think of all the mechanical carnage going on within the M5 as it thrashes loads of mechanical bits together to keep up … It wont do to many starts like that before something very expensive goes bang, whereas the MSP will probably do it time and again with far fewer moving parts and lots of magnetic fields repelling each other instead.

The speed "band" of 0-100mph is what 99% of all drivers will stay within, and I believe it represents real world motoring. Sure, the M5 is a pinnacle of ICE motoring and a magnificent machine. Personally, I regard anything over 110-120mph as a waste of engineering because you're paying a lot of money to brag about some bonkers 190mph top speed, when in fact such cars will only exceed 150mph for perhaps 0.01% of their entire motoring life, if at all !

Personally speaking, so long as I've got really enjoyable acceleration / handling between 0-100mph, I am not bothered about whether my car can top out at 207.63 mph, even allowing for relativistic correction factors etc etc.

The AutoMobile Mag presenter on the video immediately throws up the usual doubts about range and price etc. This is becoming annoying because I've had genuine range anxiety in plenty of exotic petrol cars, many of which will NOT get over 200 miles per tank full when enjoyably driven. Which begs the question "just how far will similar ICE cars go before running out of fuel ?"

To answer this, I've compiled the table below showing real-world 'cruising range', taken directly from actual Car & Driver road tests, against many other high end cars.

Sure enough, the Model S range is right in the middle of all the other similar performance cars available now or recently.

I've then decided to expand it summarising *approximate* petrol costs doing 12k annually, and then for 8 yrs or 96,000 miles. This might annoy some, and please others, and possibly be +/- 20% out, but no matter how you look at it, the petrol costs alone are a bit of an eye opener.

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to say "yeah, but where do you think the electricity comes from ehh ?" … But what if you run your EV indirectly from that big yellow thing in the sky, just think of the barrels of oil you'll be saving …

When you look at the table, it makes you wonder why the ICE world is obsessed with limited range … ?! If range is such a big problem, go buy a diesel barge. Its still a free world.

rangeimage.jpg

Tesla Model S vs BMW M5 Drag Race - YouTube

So, after all the discussion, the clip shows that the Model S is at least as fast to 100mph as an M5, if not outright damn quick compared to just about every thing else.

But just think of all the mechanical carnage going on within the M5 as it thrashes loads of mechanical bits together to keep up … It wont do to many starts like that before something very expensive goes bang, whereas the MSP will probably do it time and again with far fewer moving parts and lots of magnetic fields repelling each other instead.

The speed "band" of 0-100mph is what 99% of all drivers will stay within, and I believe it represents real world motoring. Sure, the M5 is a pinnacle of ICE motoring and a magnificent machine. Personally, I regard anything over 110-120mph as a waste of engineering because you're paying a lot of money to brag about some bonkers 190mph top speed, when in fact such cars will only exceed 150mph for perhaps 0.01% of their entire motoring life, if at all !

Personally speaking, so long as I've got really enjoyable acceleration / handling between 0-100mph, I am not bothered about whether my car can top out at 207.63 mph, even allowing for relativistic correction factors etc etc.

The AutoMobile Mag presenter on the video immediately throws up the usual doubts about range and price etc. This is becoming annoying because I've had genuine range anxiety in plenty of exotic petrol cars, many of which will NOT get over 200 miles per tank full when enjoyably driven. Which begs the question "just how far will similar ICE cars go before running out of fuel ?"

To answer this, I've compiled the table below showing real-world 'cruising range', taken directly from actual Car & Driver road tests, against many other high end cars.

Sure enough, the Model S range is right in the middle of all the other similar performance cars available now or recently.

I've then decided to expand it summarising *approximate* petrol costs doing 12k annually, and then for 8 yrs or 96,000 miles. This might annoy some, and please others, and possibly be +/- 20% out, but no matter how you look at it, the petrol costs alone are a bit of an eye opener.

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to say "yeah, but where do you think the electricity comes from ehh ?" … But what if you run your EV indirectly from that big yellow thing in the sky, just think of the barrels of oil you'll be saving …

When you look at the table, it makes you wonder why the ICE world is obsessed with limited range … ?! If range is such a big problem, go buy a diesel barge. Its still a free world.

rangeimage.jpg

Outstanding chart. My only issue with it is that Car and Driver undoubtedly has particular methodology for measuring "cruise range" and I doubt that Model S will get 275 miles using that methodology.

In fact, Car and Driver recently published an "observed" range for Model S of ~211 miles. At the time it puzzled me because that is the kind of range you might expect doing a constant ~75mph with A/C on, but C&D didn't elaborate on their actual methodology. They might well have used their "cruise" methodology to obtain that number.

Other than that though, the rest of the chart is outstanding. The auto press hasn't fully engaged the issue of the relative cost to operate (actually, it's scarcely been mentioned). Even rich folks like the idea of saving tens of thousands of dollars in operational costs.

Edit: Just an addendum, I had a number of problems with the Car and Driver numbers that they released in their recent video review of Model S. It's entirely possible that their "observed" range was something completely off the wall.

Drag strip is great and yes, 1/4 mile would have been better, but faster to 100 is cool too! And I'm sure they used launch control, but it wasn't apparent from the sound of the M5 at take off.

And yes, there are still questions to be answered, but it seems more and more likely that MSP will beat the 2013 M5 around any given track. Just has too many pro's going for it. It is a great day indeed!

Drag strip is great and yes, 1/4 mile would have been better, but faster to 100 is cool too! And I'm sure they used launch control, but it wasn't apparent from the sound of the M5 at take off.

And yes, there are still questions to be answered, but it seems more and more likely that MSP will beat the 2013 M5 around any given track. Just has too many pro's going for it. It is a great day indeed!

Here is the satellite view of Gingerman Raceway -

Google Maps

It's exactly the kind of track I'd want to race Model S against M5. Anyone got odds we'll see another video soon from Automobile Magazine with a head to head on a small road course? :biggrin:

Someone did the math using Top Gear's data. On one show that had a bunch of supercars filled with exactly one gallon of gas to do a mock eco test to see which got the best gas mileage when racing full throttle around the TG track. From there it was easy to look up each caes fuel tank size and figure how far they would each go at top speed on a full tank. Turns out the Roadster's 44 miles was right in the mix on range with racing supercars cars getting 1 mile per gallon.