Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid -- Battery Failure -- Day 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Red Plaid today with 19inch wheels (told first 19" delivery at my Service Center) with 4 miles on it!

Delivery experience has gradually gone down hill (my 4th Tesla) and this experience was by far the worst. You purchase a $130K car and expect to see someone other than the 18 year old car detailer who is asking you to sign paperwork. Car was missing the cargo cover (but unless you know it is supposed to have a cargo cover you wouldn't even know) and has some very annoying scuffs in the wood trim that the detailer attempted to "buff out"...not so much.

Detailer told me they would have mobile service bring me a cargo cover and should be able to replace the wood (seems like a lot more than mobile service would take on). Also attempted to use the driver's reading lamp. Worked once ... now button is stuck. In general, my quality experience with Tesla has actually been really good.

Sadly (and incredibly), while car is theoretically drivable after 7 hours and less than 100 miles of driving ... 95% certain the HV battery is toast. Car has the dreaded "Maximum battery charge level reduced/Unable to Charge battery to 100%" After reading a few Model 3 threads with this issue, attempted to charge and car WILL NOT accept a charge at all.

Plaid appears to be hard broke with 95 miles on it! I'm not sure what I'll do if they offer me a remanufactured battery for a 7 hour old car.

Plaid appears to be hard broke with 95 miles on it! I'm not sure what I'll do if they offer me a remanufactured battery for a 7 hour old car.
Sorry if I don't believe you. Based on your two posts. Both your Model S have had battery issues. You're a new member. Trolling is common. Pics or this didn't happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-075117_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210821-075117_Chrome.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 431
Picked up my Red Plaid today with 19inch wheels (told first 19" delivery at my Service Center) with 4 miles on it!

Delivery experience has gradually gone down hill (my 4th Tesla) and this experience was by far the worst. You purchase a $130K car and expect to see someone other than the 18 year old car detailer who is asking you to sign paperwork. Car was missing the cargo cover (but unless you know it is supposed to have a cargo cover you wouldn't even know) and has some very annoying scuffs in the wood trim that the detailer attempted to "buff out"...not so much.

Detailer told me they would have mobile service bring me a cargo cover and should be able to replace the wood (seems like a lot more than mobile service would take on). Also attempted to use the driver's reading lamp. Worked once ... now button is stuck. In general, my quality experience with Tesla has actually been really good.

Sadly (and incredibly), while car is theoretically drivable after 7 hours and less than 100 miles of driving ... 95% certain the HV battery is toast. Car has the dreaded "Maximum battery charge level reduced/Unable to Charge battery to 100%" After reading a few Model 3 threads with this issue, attempted to charge and car WILL NOT accept a charge at all.

Lol new member, 4th Tesla. Happens to find out about this forum on the 4th one. Ok buddy.

Sorry if I don't believe you. Based on your two posts. Both your Model S have had battery issues. You're a new member. Trolling is common. Pics or this didn't happen.
Lol new member, 4th Tesla. Happens to find out about this forum on the 4th one. Ok buddy.
Do you really think that everyone that reads these boards post? Many just browse looking for information about these great cars. I've had two major problems with my Tesla Model S's batteries ... that's true. And it does seem very rare. I've posted about them looking for information given how rare these issues actually seem to be.

Do I have terrible luck lately ... sure. Not a troll, have read these boards for years, and yesterday purchased my 4th Tesla.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 358
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 346
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 345

Since the Plaid battery is a modified design (it apparently has a higher voltage) I'm not sure you'd get a remanufactured battery and if you did it would probably be from some other unlucky Plaid owner who had it fail early.

Reactions: Zaker89 and Drew-MS
I also had a bad HV battery and was wondering if I was alone as I have not read about others until now. I was one of the lucky earlier deliveries. I took delivery on the 30th of a Refreshed MS LR. Next day took it to shop to be PPF’d and tinted and a couple of other small things. When I picked up the car I had the same notification. This is my first Tesla so I didn’t really know what to do. When I got the car home, I connected my charger and the car wouldn’t take a charge. I tried to schedule service and the earliest service appointment showing on the app was like 2 weeks away. So then I hit the click for tow to Tesla button and of course I got a phone call. They did an over the air diagnostic test and I was told to take the car right in.

A day later it was confirmed that my car had A defective battery and needed to be replaced. I’m in NY and it took a good three weeks to receive a new battery and then 2 or 3 days for them to complete the work. Ever since I‘be had the new battery, the Car has been amazing. I’ve had a few other issues but all pretty minor. Broken center console top and a poorly aligned repeater camper that is being replaced tomorrow. From what the guys said at Tesla, replacing the battery isn’t a big deal and doesn’t impact anything going forward.

Tesla Kansas City has had the car since Monday and confirmed HV battery replacement is required. They told me it will likely be weeks to get it replaced. They also told me that I've had the last two battery failures in their service center (2017 S 100D and the Plaid)...that is luck

Emiller, I've found at least two other battery failures with the Plaid. The other two were also brand new and then there was battery fire which made news.

They gave me a 2017 S 75 as a loaner. This is probably the 5th loaner I've had from Tesla and the first time they ever had Chill Mode and an 85 mph speed limit set...torture. The ~200 mile range in a 4 year old 75 really makes me appreciate how far Tesla has come on range.

Tesla Kansas City has had the car since Monday and confirmed HV battery replacement is required. They told me it will likely be weeks to get it replaced. They also told me that I've had the last two battery failures in their service center (2017 S 100D and the Plaid)...that is luck

Emiller, I've found at least two other battery failures with the Plaid. The other two were also brand new and then there was battery fire which made news.

They gave me a 2017 S 75 as a loaner. This is probably the 5th loaner I've had from Tesla and the first time they ever had Chill Mode and an 85 mph speed limit set...torture. The ~200 mile range in a 4 year old 75 really makes me appreciate how far Tesla has come on range.
It took about 3 weeks to get the new battery from Fremont to NY. Then another 2 or 3 days to install and do all their testing.
In hindsight, I noticed immediately when I received the car that I had significant phantom drain and with the new HV, that’s no longer a problem. I have put 1,200 miles on the new battery and all has been good since. Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Do you really think that everyone that reads these boards post? Many just browse looking for information about these great cars. I've had two major problems with my Tesla Model S's batteries ... that's true. And it does seem very rare. I've posted about them looking for information given how rare these issues actually seem to be.

Do I have terrible luck lately ... sure. Not a troll, have read these boards for years, and yesterday purchased my 4th Tesla.
Welcome to the forum and sorry you’re having issues. Not sure why the folks here are rolling out the anti-welcome wagon, like to the new sheriff in blazing saddles. I for one would be very interested to hear the ultimate resolution - new batteries, get car replaced under lemon law, or whatever happens. Thanks and good luck!

Reactions: Ormond and theatrus
it's a shame you can't buy manners and humility
Says the guy whos trying to do a Keyboard warrior I told you so. Double standards much?

The OP posted some proof and I chose to stay quiet because there was nothing more I could do to help his situation. You on the other hand needed to chime in and make a post that has nothing to do with OP. You also called out 3 different people. Did you solve OP's problem with your posts?

Whos the real keyboard warrior here.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and onshi
Don't really care. When you watch 7 digits disappear when TSLA goes from 900 to 500s you think a post on a forum is going to make me feel anything?
Apologize and admit you were wrong? This is not meant to single you out, not sure how you are the fall guy here, there were a bunch of people basically accusing the OP of lying and he's gone all out to show that is not correct.

Doesn't anyone have manners or personal responsibility anymore? Accepting responsibility doesn't make you look weak, it makes you look stronger. Just an aside.

Sorry about the other members. Elons cult is strong, and dissent is never tolerated. FYI similiar issues on my Performance M3. Was put in a loaner and replacement took 3 weeks. However with this being a plaid, i couldn't even guess at the lead time for replacement. Sucks it happened.