Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not. Just going based on videos I have seen with others that do.
It’s stock brakes are excellent. Definitely enough with track pads.
I have at least 20 track day sessions and tons of autocross.
the sway of the car and the number one critique I have is the seating.
No side bolster‘s are a killer. almost impossible to stay in your seat.

I do not. Just going based on videos I have seen with others that do.
It’s (Plaid) not quite ready for the track yet. You can’t rotate it at all!! Zero! It’s definitely needs SW track pack.

you like videos this is why you probably should wait.
check his channel out, very experienced racer, with tons of track time.

I believe he did a couple thousand dollars worth of brake damage to his car.
well the stability control did it I should say.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I have no doubt less nanny on the traction control will do wonders.....

But, the brakes suck full (lack of) stop. Sorry to disagree so much but my right foot and butt do not lie to me. All working being done in a straight line when selective brake caliper actuation would not be involved.
No reason to disagree. The video is above this comment.
did you kn the aftermarket kits use the same brakes just different pads.
do you track your Tesla?
I have over 20 track days in Tesla’s.
chec out his videos read his comments then you’ll understand.

Is that you racing?
I raced ama superbike.
Indeed (an especially interesting comment given your reaction to my post directly above :) )

and no, I do not track a 5k lb street car.

and have a bit of experience with brakes
Some Rotors.jpg
I would love to say the 5000 lbs is the problem, it’s not.
It’s (the Plaid won’t allow any rotation at all!!!) zero. It’s almost applying full braking under acceleration out of a corner. I am sure you’re aware what high temperatures do to brakes.
A SW track update will do wonders. Trust me.
Zero to 60 is about 98 feet an 60- zero is almost the same. Brakes aren’t the problem, temperature is.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I would love to say the 5000 lbs is the problem, it’s not.
It’s (the Plaid won’t allow any rotation at all!!!) zero. It’s almost applying full braking under acceleration out of a corner. I am sure you’re aware what high temperatures do to brakes.
A SW track update will do wonders. Trust me.
Zero to 60 is about 98 feet an 60- zero is almost the same. Brakes aren’t the problem, temperature is.
Can you elaborate "Brakes aren’t the problem, temperature is."

Reactions: plumazul
Can you elaborate "Brakes aren’t the problem, temperature is."
The stability control uses braking to keep the car straight. Its basically applying the brakes during acceleration.
heats the brakes up. Hot brakes no bueno! Before trackmode on the performance model 3 it had the same problem, just not as much power to help overheat the brakes.
when brake testing the Plaid they got 100 ish foot 60-zero stops.

It's also possible that you don't drive fast enough.

The electronic Bosch iBooster isn't very 'stout.' As in, it runs out of vacuum pretty quick, and takes too long to build back up. I've had encounters where I smash the brake pedal, let up, hit it again, and then get a message that braking force is reduced.
The iBooster doesn't use vacuum at all, so it isn't running out of that. It uses an electric motor to apply break pressure, so I don't think your problem is the iBooster.

Are you sure the message doesn't say something about break temperature?

A vehicle's kinetic energy, during deceleration, is transformed into "heat" (thermal energy), without regard to its design, rotor/pad size, efficiency.

Therefore a larger (rotor/pad) & better designed (more efficient) brake system would have a larger thermal capacity (heat sink) and can "absorb" more heat, and "dissipate" heat faster so this vehicle can run at a lower braking temperature vs. the one running with a smaller brake and less efficient system at higher temperature which can quickly lead to brake failure.

For the same kinetic energy (1/2MV^2) ie same vehicle mass and speed; Brake (size & system) = Braking temperature.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu
That is not true. They used somewhat for front traction control in turns. They are not used in the rear unless it's a serious traction loss, because there is no open differential in the rear.
I had the performance 3 before track mode, it was awful. I was actually going to sell the car until the trackmode was released.
I have the Plaid on order and I promise you it will not touch a track until trackmode SW is available.

Back in 2004/2005, I used a CG-Lock and it worked really well until I got bucket seats and a harness.

I think CG Lock is discontinued but you might be able to find something similar.

Reactions: Duke846
Looks like you have a performance 3.
run it in normal mode next time you’re at the track. Then get back to me.

I have a model 3 performance. In the EVX class.

I have a Autocrossed it for 2 years. I have multiple SCCA Champ tour and Pro Solo Trophies in other cars.

With MPP coilovers, front and rear camber arms, sways, 18x10.5" wheels and 285 RE71r.

I have accidentally ran it in normal mode multiple times, and times are essentially the same. I have tried many different settings with track mode, and for auto cross, 50:50 still turns out to be the fastest. I have tried Stability from -10 to -2, and actually like -3 to -2.

Summary is, with appropriate tires, camber, and suspension, I do not feel the track mode is that important. But tires, camber, and roll stiffness are the key. I ran it once in Stock form with the stock tires and it felt horrible.

My Plaid will be here next week. First thing will be to work on the brakes. They need to be able to handle the heat better, which will need bigger rotors. I am not a big fan of carbon rotors, but that is mainly for track use because with lots of heat they do wear and are expensive to replace. However, for the plaid, the may be a good option for daily use and maybe the odd track day.