Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carbotech has a nice website, compared to gloc :) if that is any indication maybe their compounds are different too :)
I can certainly agree that in 2022, having a good website is important for gaining confidence in your company! I too have been deterred by dated or poorly-made websites when shopping for other things (my terrible, terrible guitar pedal addiction).

Carbon pads are fantastic on the track. The problem with carbon pads is they need to come up to temp before they work. Even on track they need to be dragged on the outlap before they provide any stopping power. You can't use them on the street at all, especially on an EV that uses regen for stopping.
that's true for any track pads where they need to heat. I was thinking carbotech 1521 which from the description is for street driving.

I have Carbotech RP2's on my Plaid with two track days and I left them for DD. They were a pain to install because they have or had the wrong clearances. I called Carbotech to tell him them just as a courtesy about the issue and he told me that I didn't have a Plaid 🤣. He also said that Plaid didn't come with Brembo's. Carbotech was actually really good about shipping because they got the pads to me in one day and that was great but I had to file the pin hole openings some. I wasn't even mad about it but the guy got super defensive right away.

I have Carbotech RP2's on my Plaid with two track days and I left them for DD. They were a pain to install because they have or had the wrong clearances. I called Carbotech to tell him them just as a courtesy about the issue and he told me that I didn't have a Plaid 🤣. He also said that Plaid didn't come with Brembo's. Carbotech was actually really good about shipping because they got the pads to me in one day and that was great but I had to file the pin hole openings some. I wasn't even mad about it but the guy got super defensive right away.
He told you that you don't know what car you own?

Has anyone tried the UPP large sweep kit yet? I just did my first track day (everything stock) and it held up better than I thought it would on my slower, tighter track. I don't want to go full on track setup for the 1 or 2 track days I'll do a year. This means keeping the stock 19" wheels for my summer sport tire setup, and I'll be getting separate rims for winter.

The UPP kit seems to be the best kit that works with the stock 19", but the RB kit may work too. I'm also thinking about their brake ducts.

Anyone tried this setup yet?
I finally have both installed and they work pretty good even though i cant compare them to stock on a road course other than with 1/2 mile, 1/4mile events but i never had any major issues with stock at those events. I did have a road course event at streets of willow with just the fronts (rears havnt came in yet), upgraded fluid, and their stainless steel brakes lines. I made a few runs on with about 3 20 minute sessions but i wasnt pushing the car crazy hard and i was still learning the track but the last 20 minute session before i left the instructor took the car out with me in it driving the car hard on the track and so far pretty happy with them. Next week I have a drag event at the same track and the braking at the end is really short, i never got a light and i usually only do 2-3 runs at a time but they do get really hot. Will be seeing if there is a difference with this setup at the end of the braking zone and will do more runs consecutively and test them out.

Attachments

• IMG_6849.jpeg
    IMG_6849.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_6848.jpeg
    IMG_6848.jpeg
    580.5 KB · Views: 99
I finally have both installed and they work pretty good even though i cant compare them to stock on a road course other than with 1/2 mile, 1/4mile events but i never had any major issues with stock at those events. I did have a road course event at streets of willow with just the fronts (rears havnt came in yet), upgraded fluid, and their stainless steel brakes lines. I made a few runs on with about 3 20 minute sessions but i wasnt pushing the car crazy hard and i was still learning the track but the last 20 minute session before i left the instructor took the car out with me in it driving the car hard on the track and so far pretty happy with them. Next week I have a drag event at the same track and the braking at the end is really short, i never got a light and i usually only do 2-3 runs at a time but they do get really hot. Will be seeing if there is a difference with this setup at the end of the braking zone and will do more runs consecutively and test them out
Did you get a chance to measure the weight difference between these vs stock?

I agree with @lolachampcar.

It is certainly frustrating that most other performance brands offer factory options for bigger, carbon/ceramic brakes and so forth - Tesla gives you no choice at all. Really, not choice beyond the color, but I digress. The Taycan is not as fast or powerful as the Plaid, and yet even its standard, base model brakes are much bigger. It just reaffirms to me that Tesla is too focused on only acceleration and software, not the rest of the package.

But to that point, 98% of their user base just drives the speed limit to work and back. They will almost never need such powerful braking systems, because they'll just be driving in traffic. And for that, smaller steel brakes are fine, and they'll have plenty of time to cool off with 'adequate' stopping power for that one time you get cut off per day.

I guess the takeaway is - If you are going to be tracking your plaid, then you should probably invest in a big brake kit. If you're just daily driving around the city, you're likely fine with what you have, even if it does leave a bit to be desired versus the performance competitors.
The Tesla Carbon Ceramic Brake option works great.

aren’t the tesla CCBs only compatible with arachnid 21s? If so that’s not good for people that want the ccbs but still need to put smaller wheels on for track or winter.

Anyone yet have the new Brembo steel kit? T sportline has it listed on their site.