Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it a big deal that UPP large sweep rotors use non factory brake pads? could replacing pads in the future be a problem?

MPP rotors use stock pads, the UPP large sweep rotors are designed for compatible brake pads.
Based on the constant shortage of almost everything at UPP, this is a red flag for me. I cancelled my UPP order 3 months after ordering and went with the MPP ones plus stock size pads from gloc - been very happy

Last edited:
Usually professional racing guys don't come to a complete permanent stop with too hot rotors. With Plaid it's quite easy to get glowing rotors driving on a street. I think it would be wonderful if you can make a ready to use kit for rubber joints and speed sensor - it was always a pain to DIY them.

How do you know you can get the rotors glowing on the street easily? Have you done it yourself?

Last edited:
I have done it on multiple weaker cars. People put Plaid brakes on fire. It won't happen if you always drive slow, but probability of that, considering that you've paid for Plaid, are 0.

The video of the guy making the brakes catch fire did multiple pulls to 104-96mph. Here in the USA it means a 6 point reckless driving and 6 point speeding license... AKA bye bye license and in some states a trip to jail.

I have done autocross which is more realistic as far street speed and I didn't even get a temp warning. At a slow track like AMP were my top speed was 126mph I also got no temp warnings. Maybe is because it is a more realistic scenario than just doing 7 hard braking events one after another without giving the brakes a chance to cool at all. At Road Atlanta I did get temp warnings were I hit 159mph with out pushing the car and over 120mph on other spots of the track. We also have the Tesla Plaid Channel with hundreds of 1/4 mile passes and roll racing stating that he has gotten no temp warnings. I really can't see how you can run out of brakes on the street unless you are torture testing the stock brakes.

If you go the track change your pads and fluid at least... It is common sense.

The video of the guy making the brakes catch fire did multiple pulls to 104-96mph. Here in the USA it means a 6 point reckless driving and 6 point speeding license... AKA bye bye license and in some states a trip to jail.

I have done autocross which is more realistic as far street speed and I didn't even get a temp warning. At a slow track like AMP were my top speed was 126mph I also got no temp warnings. Maybe is because it is a more realistic scenario than just doing 7 hard braking events one after another without giving the brakes a chance to cool at all. At Road Atlanta I did get temp warnings were I hit 159mph with out pushing the car and over 120mph on other spots of the track. We also have the Tesla Plaid Channel with hundreds of 1/4 mile passes and roll racing stating that he has gotten no temp warnings. I really can't see how you can run out of brakes on the street unless you are torture testing the stock brakes.

If you go the track change your pads and fluid at least... It is common sense.
I was talking about removing heat shields and danger of that on Plaid for street use.

What are you talking about?

On a side note I insist that street use of some people is harder on brakes than autocross. They don't brake that hard, but drive longer and get to much higher speeds. They also tend to stop with hot brakes way more often than on track or autocross.

And referring to penalties is just pointless. Do you tell me that Plaid buyers don't speed?

Anyway. My point is to warn people NOT to remove heat shields or BE AWARE about potential consequences.

I was talking about removing heat shields and danger of that on Plaid for street use.

What are you talking about?

On a side note I insist that street use of some people is harder on brakes than autocross. They don't brake that hard, but drive longer and get to much higher speeds. They also tend to stop with hot brakes way more often than on track or autocross.

And referring to penalties is just pointless. Do you tell me that Plaid buyers don't speed?

Anyway. My point is to warn people NOT to remove heat shields or BE AWARE about potential consequences.

I get what you are saying now. I thought you meant that people were fading the brakes on the street which seems really really hard to do.

• Love
Reactions: Mash
Based on the constant shortage of almost everything at UPP, this is a red flag for me. I cancelled my UPP order 3 months after ordering and went with the MPP ones plus stock size pads from gloc - been very happy
I've now taken the time to do a full (re)read of this thread, and your experience is pushing me away from the UP large sweep kit and towards the MPP stock size kit. The ability to use any pads, and the stock shortages you've mentioned (plus your glowing review of the MPP kit), have me leaning that way now.

I've now taken the time to do a full (re)read of this thread, and your experience is pushing me away from the UP large sweep kit and towards the MPP stock size kit. The ability to use any pads, and the stock shortages you've mentioned (plus your glowing review of the MPP kit), have me leaning that way now.
Is anyone from @MountainPass going to give me anything for my successful “influencing” :) I’m new at this influencing stuff and I need gratification to continue!

Last edited:
not a good sign :) I will give them a call. do you recommend them over CarbonTech to pair with MPP 400 rotor front and MPP stock in the rear?
I cannot speak for carbontech as I have never used them. My understanding of gloc is that even if they had no website their order book would still be very heathy because of the incredibly strong reputation of their product line

Reactions: Ash83
not a good sign :) I will give them a call. do you recommend them over CarbonTech to pair with MPP 400 rotor front and MPP stock in the rear?
@Ash83 For street or track? I'm a big fan of Carbotech's XP series track pads - for track use only. The car I was tracking wasn't anywhere near as powerful or heavy as an S Plaid but I still would not hesitate to try Carbotech XP pads again on any car. (Exactly which one would depend on power and weight of the car of course...probably need to go all out for a Plaid!)

However I found the Carbotech 1521 street pads a little underwhelming. Not terrible or the worst street pads I've used, but they didn't bite as well as the best street pads. I think they may have put too much priority on low dust for my taste, the better street pads I've used were quite dusty. A worthwhile tradeoff for my preferences!

I never tried any G-Loc pads so I can't compare there.

@Ash83 For street or track? I'm a big fan of Carbotech's XP series track pads - for track use only. The car I was tracking wasn't anywhere near as powerful or heavy as an S Plaid but I still would not hesitate to try Carbotech XP pads again on any car. (Exactly which one would depend on power and weight of the car of course...probably need to go all out for a Plaid!)

However I found the Carbotech 1521 street pads a little underwhelming. Not terrible or the worst street pads I've used, but they didn't bite as well as the best street pads. I think they may have been too focused on low dust for my taste, the better street pads I've used were quite dusty. A worthwhile tradeoff for my preferences!

I never tried any G-Loc pads so I can't compare there.

Street and maybe half a day track every year or so.

Street and maybe half a day track every year or so.
Carbon pads are fantastic on the track. The problem with carbon pads is they need to come up to temp before they work. Even on track they need to be dragged on the outlap before they provide any stopping power. You can't use them on the street at all, especially on an EV that uses regen for stopping.

Reactions: FlatSix911