Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't appreciate the brakes with the wheels on. When my wheels were taken off to measure for 20's, I was just blown away by how nice they were. I has stopped by Tesla during the installation and saw the parts before they were mounted but seeing them on the car was so much better.

That is why it is a shame the Arachnids hide so much of them. Makes me appreciate my wheels even more as the brakes are the first thing you really see when you walk up to the car.

Reactions: terryhitt
The looks and wow factor has gone up exponentially since I got these brakes. Before this, although I personally couldn’t get enough of my car’s styling in stock form, for the most part all others on the road just saw it as any other plain jane white Tesla with black wheels. After the brake install, at the service center there was a mini crowd when I went to pick it up since it was one of the first ones that was done and it looked stunning. Then as I drove around a few days later I caught several stares from late model BMW and Porsche drivers and yes, a couple of thumbs up. There was a guy in an M8 that stopped alongside me when the freeway traffic stopped, rolled down the window to tell me the car looked bad a$$, in the Bay Area of all places, where Teslas are, you know, the “Silicon Valley Civic”, at least the Model 3s.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.28.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.30.03 PM.png

Thanks for the condolences man.

Track Pack brakes are amazing especially when seen in three dimensions. Truly top shelf components. They def did a lot of work to shave off excess material for the lightest, stiffest setup possible given cost constraints. Non-OEM can't touch this.

View attachment 981237

View attachment 981238

View attachment 981240

My rear calipers got cosmetically damaged. I'm OCD enough where a repaint won't appease the OCD. I want a new set.

Now we'll see when sht happens, what happens. Hopefully getting replacement parts, even those as esoteric as AP Racing calipers, won't be such a drag since Tesla can track that bought Track Pack brakes.

I just need help with the rear caliper part numbers and the brake fluid. I'm assuming none of the associated hardware is one time use. If sourcing parts becomes a major source of pain, then I know this MSP will be my first and last.

I already stopped by Alhambra service center this morning. The rep said he'd have an update for me in two hours. It's now 6 hours past. We're probably flying the plane as we're assembling it.
Track Pack AP Racing calipers are part # 1420645-10-C (rear left) and 1420646-10-C (rear right).

Brake fluid is BASF Hydraulan 406ESI part # 1012041-12-C and you’ll need about 2 liters for a good flush. 1 liter to just bleed.

The Caliper bolts are reusable.

Why not just have your calipers re powder coated, apply a tesla decal and high temp clear. Would be cheaper than two new calipers.

Track Pack AP Racing calipers are part # 1420645-10-C (rear left) and 1420646-10-C (rear right).

Brake fluid is BASF Hydraulan 406ESI part # 1012041-12-C and you’ll need about 2 liters for a good flush. 1 liter to just bleed.

The Caliper bolts are reusable.

Why not just have your calipers re powder coated, apply a tesla decal and high temp clear. Would be cheaper than two new calipers.
Again, really appreciate you and your wealth of Tesla knowledge!

👊🏼

Hi Snirpo, I did placed at day one my order for the CCB's, I'm in Belgium and the process went super smooth.
Two weeks after ordering and prepaying the Track Pack brakes the installation was done and even within one day 😎
They started between 8-9 o'clock and finished off just before the shop's closing time.

My luck was the same SC did also the installation of what seemed to be the very first installation in the EU.
Fyi we're talking about some months ago already, these CCB's are onto the car since June.

Couldn't be more happy with the result.
Even the initial bite when the kit is still cold isn't of much annoyance. You'll get so fast used to the improved pedal travel as well 😉
Quite surprised by that. I ordered them a few months ago as well and when I asked when they will be be installed, the first answer was bassiccly they didn't know. So they definitely weren't in stock.

I definitely want the brakes, because since the Carwow drag race with the car the brakes haven't been the same as before. Spongyness is gone since (a very expensive) brake fluid replacement Tesla did, but pads and discs and definitely shot. The brakes still work, but you have to apply more pressure than before. And with hard braking there's quite some vibration, so I guess the discs are warped as well. It's not unsafe but it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Reactions: Sam1
Quite surprised by that. I ordered them a few months ago as well and when I asked when they will be be installed, the first answer was bassiccly they didn't know. So they definitely weren't in stock.

I definitely want the brakes, because since the Carwow drag race with the car the brakes haven't been the same as before. Spongyness is gone since (a very expensive) brake fluid replacement Tesla did, but pads and discs and definitely shot. The brakes still work, but you have to apply more pressure than before. And with hard braking there's quite some vibration, so I guess the discs are warped as well. It's not unsafe but it doesn't inspire much confidence.
I don't know how that video was edited, but if the braking event was not interrupted, they ruined the rotors because they did those stops and then just sat still instead of stopping and immediately driving back around after to cool the rotors.

I don't know how that video was edited, but if the braking event was not interrupted, they ruined the rotors because they did those stops and then just sat still instead of stopping and immediately driving back around after to cool the rotors.
Yeah I don't know. Did did drive back around, but the brakes still may have been incredibly hot before stopping and talking with with eachother for 20 minutes.

I'm not shocked at all that Tesla is no Toyota or amazon.com with managing online parts sourcing and timely delivery.

Sourcing individual parts like the rear calipers post-TP purchase has also been a bit of a wild goose chase (shock of the century). I can't imagine the hoops non-US customers will have to go through.
  • 1420645-10-C (rear left) and 1420646-10-C (rear right) were quoted at $340 each at my local TSC
  • Given the surprisingly cheap caliper quote, I'm not 100% confident that the part #s are valid so trying to reference 1420645-00-A (rear left) and 1420646-00-A (rear right) as also provided by @Awiner (thx dude)
  • TSC rep couldn't forthrightly advise that calipers are sold individually so need to check/wait on that
  • TSC rep couldn't find the TP brake fluid part # in the system
If Tesla forces TP owners to buy the entire $15K bundle to get access to TP parts, that's hwy robbery. For certain the MSP will be my first and last Tesla should this be the case.

I'll be patient, though. I half expected this based on all that I've read here.

Hi, quick q as I haven't gone through all 800 or so posts in this thread,.

Do I need to purchase the entire track package to get the update that unlocks the top speed or is that update included if I just do the CCB kit option?

Thanks

Downside to the arachnids are they are very heavy and you likely will need to address the rear camber issue.

I'd go with the 19's and sell them. Order lightweight 20's and likely come out ahead or at least a wash but with much better wheels.

A square fitment could make a lot of sense too when going to 20's. By going to 295's up front, it definitely reduced the amount of understeer when not in track mode. Given the way the car can eat tires, having the full treadwear warranty pays off pretty quickly.

Downside to the arachnids are they are very heavy and you likely will need to address the rear camber issue.

I'd go with the 19's and sell them. Order lightweight 20's and likely come out ahead or at least a wash but with much better wheels.

A square fitment could make a lot of sense too when going to 20's. By going to 295's up front, it definitely reduced the amount of understeer when not in track mode. Given the way the car can eat tires, having the full treadwear warranty pays off pretty quickly.
But then you have to deal with noisy tires.

Weight reduction on the plaid hasn’t worked out as you’d expect compared to an ICE vehicle. I had no measurable or felt difference going to aftermarket wheels which are significantly lighter than the arachnids. You can’t tell the difference between a 2.0 and 2.2 0-60 anyways.

If you truly track the vehicle which is going to be such a minority of people, then yeah I can see your point. But not for street car.

Reactions: bkcyk
But then you have to deal with noisy tires.

Weight reduction on the plaid hasn’t worked out as you’d expect compared to an ICE vehicle. I had no measurable or felt difference going to aftermarket wheels which are significantly lighter than the arachnids. You can’t tell the difference between a 2.0 and 2.2 0-60 anyways.

If you truly track the vehicle which is going to be such a minority of people, then yeah I can see your point. But not for street car.
I have the acoustic versions of the PS4S in the size I am running. There are other benefits than just pure straightline acceleration. Unsprung mass reduction pays dividends almost everywhere. The car definitely feels more nimble. Likely to be a reduction in braking as well but that hasn't been as thoroughly tested as the acceleration times.

I get a benefit from the 295s up front on the street, even when not tracking the car.

Just got the car back with the track pack brakes and wheels installed. First one at the SC and they completed in 3 days with no issues, including new knuckles for front and rear on my 2021.

The SC did the work with the following aftermarket parts on the car:

1. MPP Brake Brace
2. MPP Upper Control Arm
3. MPP steering bearings
4. All 3 MPP arms for the rear
4. Unplugged sway bar
5. I was able to pick up the rear knuckles before they were installed from the SC, took to my local shop, and had them press the Unplugged spherical bearings into the rear knuckles, then SC installed these new rear knuckles with the UPP bearings --- was not planning on doing this mod if the SC was not going to install the knuckles with the bearings.
6. Brembo GTS BBK kit for the front (405mm steel rotors and 6 piston calipers) - now for sale
7. MPP rear rotors and aftermarket pads - now for sale

They would not do the alignment, which is totally understandable with all the MPP arms.

The guys at my SC are very cool. I confirmed they were ok with all the aftermarket parts months before the install. They were excited to do the upgrade since it was the first one.

The only issue I had was I was original scheduled for an August 5th install, but finally got it completed this past weekend.

Just got the car back with the track pack brakes and wheels installed. First one at the SC and they completed in 3 days with no issues, including new knuckles for front and rear on my 2021.

The SC did the work with the following aftermarket parts on the car:

1. MPP Brake Brace
2. MPP Upper Control Arm
3. MPP steering bearings
4. All 3 MPP arms for the rear
4. Unplugged sway bar
5. I was able to pick up the rear knuckles before they were installed from the SC, took to my local shop, and had them press the Unplugged spherical bearings into the rear knuckles, then SC installed these new rear knuckles with the UPP bearings --- was not planning on doing this mod if the SC was not going to install the knuckles with the bearings.
6. Brembo GTS BBK kit for the front (405mm steel rotors and 6 piston calipers) - now for sale
7. MPP rear rotors and aftermarket pads - now for sale

They would not do the alignment, which is totally understandable with all the MPP arms.

The guys at my SC are very cool. I confirmed they were ok with all the aftermarket parts months before the install. They were excited to do the upgrade since it was the first one.

The only issue I had was I was original scheduled for an August 5th install, but finally got it completed this past weekend.
That's awesome, but is unfortunately the exception and not the norm.

Just make sure you never need to actually source Track Pack parts individually should anything ever happen. I'm still waiting on two Tesla Service Centers to attempt to source rear AP Racing TP calipers (cosmetic damage).

Enjoy 200mph+!