Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was never an issue. There is no need to torque sleep (there is no "idle") the SRPM motors, because it is already the most efficient motor on the car. There is only a benefit to putting a less efficient motor into torque sleep (ie: the large rear AC induction motors in existing S/X).
Then why did Tesla us AC induction in the front of the Model 3 instead of the more efficient PMSRM?

Reactions: Chaserr
Yeah, I'm 99.99% sure he's wrong. He even says they likely limit the power in software to lower the performance of the vehicle so it doesn't come too close to the higher spec models. Torque ripple doesn't necessarily negatively affect performance, only vehicle sound and vibration, and it's not limited only to hard acceleration. Here's a 5 year old article about dynamically controlling torque ripple, I'm quite sure Tesla solved the issue.
Charged EVs | A closer look at torque ripple – minimizing its effects on electric machines
Of course, as you’re doing any kind of active control or current harmonics, there is a reduction in the machine output. So it will use a little bit more energy to do active cancellation, but the beauty of it is that it’s up to the user. Let’s say you are trying to pass a car on the highway and you put the pedal to the floor, you can program the controller to know that when this occurs you don’t care about vibration or audible noise for the next 3, 5 or 10 seconds. During that time the computer will know to disable the torque ripple mitigation and deliver the highest possible performance. Once you ease off the accelerator pedal, the computer can turn on the torque ripple mitigation again, which uses a little bit more available energy to cancel vibrations.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yes and because of that, it has a significant delay on acceleration, like an ICE car. That's a huge no-no on a performance model.

Yes, I'm 99,99% sure that's the reason. If you watch the video, you might learn a thing or two about PMSRMs :)

Avoiding torque ripple would involve reducing acceleration, not delaying it. Delay on a foot stomp is likely the anti-crash your garage wall safety feature along with preloading the drive train for longevity. Roadster 2020 is running the Model 3 type motors in the rear axle.

Also, the design of the Tesla motor has many more poles with smaller angle between electrical communications that a standard reluctance motor, so I doubt there is a torque ripple problem. Especially since any residual mechanical system induced ripple could be negated by varying the electrical drive signal.

I find this whole conversation very interesting.
I have a RWD model 3 and find the off the line acceleration quite acceptable, but not thrilling.
I am not in love with the way 3P was done having the AC motor in front so it has a FWD (pulling on the steering) bias during launch.
AC motor in back and PMSRM in front like they did on Raven seems like a better design. I suspect 3 was done "backwards" just because of the evolution of the 3 drivetrain as they brought their new PMSRM to market. They started with RWD for simplicity and then put the Performance AC motor up front just because they already had the line going putting PMSRMs in the back.
Personally, I would love it if they could do plaid with 3 PMSRMs... I would prefer not to have an AC motor in my Tesla (although Nikola could object) for efficiency, and reliability reasons.
The Tesla PMSRM is just really great engineering... a modern marvel.

Reactions: Azathoth
Why do you think the bias is because of the motor type and not the programming?

Because my assumption is that the AC motor is giving more low end torque for those wicked launches.
Also, I think they design it so that the AC motor is there for hard launches, and the PMSRM is there for efficient highway cruising. So some gearing choices as well.
But mostly, I do think they have to make the PMSRM a bit "soft" at low RPMs in some way related to the different technology.

Reactions: Krash
Well it would be lovely it they could give us LR RWD model 3 folks some more off the line grunt.
I am just guessing at the situation. Will be interesting to see if plaid drivetrains still use an AC motor or not.

Then why did Tesla use AC induction in the front of the Model 3 instead of the more efficient PMSRM?

Certainly not for reasons of efficiency. Replacing an AC motor with a SRPM motor at the front of Raven INCREASED the vehicles range, while adding an AC Induction motor to the front of Model 3 AWD has DECREASED the range.

The most likely reason Tesla chose an AC Induction motor for the front of Model 3 is that the SRPM motor is simply too powerful to be used in this lighter car:
  • 3rd part dyno tests have MEASURED 380 hp at the wheel with LR RWD
  • Semi uses 4 SRPMs to haul 80K lbs gross wt, or 20,000 lbs per motor
I'd like to see is a tear-down of the Model 3 AWD to compare size and weight of the front AC motor to SRPM. How about it @Ingineer ? You up for some more spelunking? ;)

Similarly, time's ripe to do a chassis dyno test on the AWD 3. I'd like to know 3 things:
  1. how much power does the font AC induction motor make
  2. what is the power increase in the front motor with the $2K "Performance Boost"
  3. how does it compare to Raven's front SRPM motor power + weight
Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Certainly not for reasons of efficiency. Replacing an AC motor with a SRPM motor at the front of Raven INCREASED the vehicles range, while adding an AC Induction motor to the front of Model 3 AWD has DECREASED the range.

The most likely reason Tesla chose an AC Induction motor for the front of Model 3 is that the SRPM motor is simply too powerful to be used in this lighter car:
  • 3rd part dyno tests have MEASURED 380 hp at the wheel with LR RWD
  • Semi uses 4 SRPMs to haul 80K lbs gross wt, or 20,000 lbs per motor
I'd like to see is a tear-down of the Model 3 AWD to compare size and weight of the front AC motor to SRPM. How about it @Ingineer ? You up for some more spelunking? ;)

Similarly, time's ripe to do a chassis dyno test on the AWD 3. I'd like to know 3 things:
  1. how much power does the font AC induction motor make
  2. what is the power increase in the front motor with the $2K "Performance Boost"
  3. how does it compare to Raven's front SRPM motor power + weight
Cheers!

The reason Tesla choose AC induction motor to pair with the SRPM motor is because it's trivial to free wheel the AC induction motor with very little efficiency loss because it only produces a magnetic field when it's energized. Using two SRPM will be less efficient because you can't completely de-energize one of them and let it spin without resistance. Tesla would need to introduce a clutch or other complex mechanical solution to reduce the drive-train drag.

I doubt that, they could have just built a smaller motor. The front induction motor is pretty small. More likely they chose it because it can be idled. Also since it doesn't use PM's it's probably cheaper to build.

Avoiding torque ripple would involve reducing acceleration, not delaying it. Delay on a foot stomp is likely the anti-crash your garage wall safety feature along with preloading the drive train for longevity. Roadster 2020 is running the Model 3 type motors in the rear axle.

Also, the design of the Tesla motor has many more poles with smaller angle between electrical communications that a standard reluctance motor, so I doubt there is a torque ripple problem. Especially since any residual mechanical system induced ripple could be negated by varying the electrical drive signal.

Then why is the "safety feature" not present in other models?

Torque ripple was designed out by that Greek fellow. May still be the most efficient motor design, am I right?
Remember the 4 magnets glued together? it was called _______ I for get.
It was the most efficient Sandy Munro had seen. But things do keep improving.

Slow startup might, just might be to lower impact on the drive train - drive shafts & reduction gears?
Seems quick enough, doesn't it ??

Last edited: