Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vendors that can't meet minimal quality standards will kill a company's bottom line pretty quickly.

As will disappointing loyal customers over and over and over again.

And when your customers buy five and six figure products, perhaps you take some losses on three figure products to keep them happy, and to make sure you keep the promises you made to them. But maybe that's just an old-fashioned, ethical way of looking at things.

Last edited:
Here is a side by side from simcarbon.com
IMG_1833.JPG

As will disappointing loyal customers over and over and over again.

And when your customers buy five and six figure products, perhaps you take some losses on three figure products to keep them happy, and to make sure you keep the promises you made to them. But maybe that's just an old-fashioned, ethical way of looking at things.

No, I think you missed my point. I get why it sounded differently to you. But if you've worked with a manufacturing operation, especially in quality, you'd understand. Let me try to explain: When you have low quality items coming in, there are ALWAYS defects that slip through 100% inspection, no matter how picky the inspectors are. And that makes everyone unhappy in the end.

If you want quality products, you have to also have quality components coming in the receiving dock. Otherwise you will eventually be out of business.

No, I think you missed my point. I get why it sounded differently to you. But if you've worked with a manufacturing operation, especially in quality, you'd understand. Let me try to explain: When you have low quality items coming in, there are ALWAYS defects that slip through 100% inspection, no matter how picky the inspectors are. And that makes everyone unhappy in the end.

If you want quality products, you have to also have quality components coming in the receiving dock. Otherwise you will eventually be out of business.

I understand what you are saying, and I appreciate your making the extra effort to explain it.

I guess my point is that since Tesla's primary business is manufacturing the five and six figure cars, they could afford to take some losses on the low quality product they wound up stuck with on the three figure console they had promised their five and six figure car customers, at least until they fulfilled those promises.

I understand that some bad consoles would slip through the quality checks, be paid for by Tesla, and be delivered to customers. Presumably the quality issues could be caught at installation, or, in the worst case scenario later by the customer, and Tesla could still make things right. Yes, Tesla would be eating some cost on these. My point is that I feel strongly eating the cost on some three-figure consoles, to fulfill the promises made to the customers of your five and six figure cars would be the right thing to do. Sure, Tesla might lose a little money doing that in the short run, but it's certainly not going to put them out of business, since they could stop buying the consoles once everyone who had been promised one had one. And in all likelihood whatever they lost in actual cost of goods, they'd make up in margin on the units they could sell, and also in the good will being generated (or, as is the case now, the lack of ill-will they would have generated.)

Amped.......Got the call today, have to wait till June 17 in Palm Springs. Would like to see whats involved in the installation. I would like to be able to remove the console at the end of the lease and leave the yacht floor stock.......since I own the console and may want to install it in another car.

I understand what you are saying, and I appreciate your making the extra effort to explain it.

I guess my point is that since Tesla's primary business is manufacturing the five and six figure cars, they could afford to take some losses on the low quality product they wound up stuck with on the three figure console they had promised their five and six figure car customers, at least until they fulfilled those promises.

I understand that some bad consoles would slip through the quality checks, be paid for by Tesla, and be delivered to customers. Presumably the quality issues could be caught at installation, or, in the worst case scenario later by the customer, and Tesla could still make things right. Yes, Tesla would be eating some cost on these. My point is that I feel strongly eating the cost on some three-figure consoles, to fulfill the promises made to the customers of your five and six figure cars would be the right thing to do. Sure, Tesla might lose a little money doing that in the short run, but it's certainly not going to put them out of business, since they could stop buying the consoles once everyone who had been promised one had one. And in all likelihood whatever they lost in actual cost of goods, they'd make up in margin on the units they could sell, and also in the good will being generated (or, as is the case now, the lack of ill-will they would have generated.)

Forget the money for a moment - let's talk about people coming here on the forum and complaining about the quality of a simple console that Tesla didn't get right ... you know that would happen. There's a cost to that, too. You can't run a business by deliberately placing orders for a substandard part and hoping to inspect quality in.

Amped.......Got the call today, have to wait till June 17 in Palm Springs. Would like to see whats involved in the installation. I would like to be able to remove the console at the end of the lease and leave the yacht floor stock.......since I own the console and may want to install it in another car.

I believe there is drilling involved, so I'm not sure how it would look if it were to be removed. I'm going to look at an installed version very closely to see if I'm satisfied with the quality and how they are installing them before I green-light.

I believe there is drilling involved, so I'm not sure how it would look if it were to be removed. I'm going to look at an installed version very closely to see if I'm satisfied with the quality and how they are installing them before I green-light.

If anyone has an Obeche Matte ordered and based on the above decides to change their mind about having it installed, I will gladly take it off your hands for what you paid, and will even throw in some sort of acquisition bonus or something. Just saying...

- - - Updated - - -

Forget the money for a moment - let's talk about people coming here on the forum and complaining about the quality of a simple console that Tesla didn't get right ... you know that would happen. There's a cost to that, too. You can't run a business by deliberately placing orders for a substandard part and hoping to inspect quality in.

We can forget the money for the moment.

This particular part can only be shipped to Service Centers for installation. So if there was a problem with a given unit, it should be caught before the unit wound up being installed.

Yes, people here always complain about things. But if the thing they are complaining about is something Tesla is repairing quickly and at no charge, people generally don't complain that much, unless it's something like the 12V battery that has been a problem for years, and that can also cause great inconvenience when it fails. I just don't see people complaining about a problem with a console in that way if Tesla was offering to fix or replace the problematic console.

People are going to complain when you break promises to them, leaving them no recourse.

I had decided before I ordered my car that I wanted the Tesla console, in matching trim. There is now no way for me to get that, at any price. I can't go to Tesla's manufacturer and buy one directly. The only way I could have obtained one was through Tesla. This wasn't a situation where Tesla said, "We may have this console available for your car at some point down the road." When I ordered my car, the console was showing in the online store as "Available Soon", or something very much like that. I thought the only difference between buying it with my car, and buying the rubber floor mats and trunk mat with my car was that I'd pay for the console a little later, as these were all things I wanted with my car that were being ordered from the online store, and not on the actual car ordering page. I did not realize there was any chance whatsoever I'd never be able to get the console.

The promise Tesla is breaking to me and to others like me is not insignificant. Breaking promises in this way erodes trust. I want to do business with people and with companies that I trust. I think most people feel the same way.

We can forget the money for the moment.

This particular part can only be shipped to Service Centers for installation. So if there was a problem with a given unit, it should be caught before the unit wound up being installed.

I have a lot of years of being accountable for final quality of products - whether caused by design or manufacturing. I can tell you based on experience that with the best of intentions, with the most painstaking detail-oriented anal-retentive inspectors, with people who want it ALL to be right - if you accept poor quality components and hope to inspect to find only the good components, you will fail. Some will always slip through. It will not always be caught.

Andy, none of what I'm saying has to do with Tesla not keeping a commitment to you and others. I'm only trying to explain that you cannot buy substandard components from a vendor failing to meet minimum standards and hope to put out a quality product. That's not a solution.

I have a lot of years of being accountable for final quality of products - whether caused by design or manufacturing. I can tell you based on experience that with the best of intentions, with the most painstaking detail-oriented anal-retentive inspectors, with people who want it ALL to be right - if you accept poor quality components and hope to inspect to find only the good components, you will fail. Some will always slip through. It will not always be caught.

Andy, none of what I'm saying has to do with Tesla not keeping a commitment to you and others. I'm only trying to explain that you cannot buy substandard components from a vendor failing to meet minimum standards and hope to put out a quality product. That's not a solution.

Fair enough.

If Tesla really couldn't continue with the current supplier, then they could have found another supplier. Perhaps that is what they are doing. Perhaps there is a redesign happening, and another console coming. But if this is the case, then why not get it all done, and be upfront about what is going on? If the concern is then no one would buy the current console, well, then it's back to being a money issue.

There had to be many ways to handle this better. I can't understand how Tesla failed to find any of them.

Wow, this thread has me a little worried. I'm taking delivery soon and have a console at service center I ordered already waiting to be installed before delivery. It looked good overall and heard some good reviews of it, but this thread really is knocking it as a good option. I think as long as it feels solid/stable and is functional in hiding a lot of crap, I'll be good, and a cup holder I'd use often... I have the piano black interior so when closed it should match... will have to write a review I guess after using it a while...

I don't think it'll be great at "hiding a lot of crap" - It'll give you a place for some of it, but you're not going to fit a ton under the closing cover. Still, it's miles more room than then Evannex CCI. I just want a place to store stuff, I don't need it all hidden away necessarily.

1. Signature cars perks other than a travel bag
2. Lighted vanity mirrors
3. Hard drive access
4. 90 A pack
5. Matching center console
6. . . .

Still waiting that make it right moment for many promised unfulfilled.

Love of car but don't promise and then just forget you ever made one.
- car is a wifi hotspot
- 4 USB ports
- sunshade for pano roof

- - - Updated - - -

Just another data point...

On 10/10/2013, I reserved CF.
On 05/29/2015, I got the "difficult decision" form letter with the generic Piano Black link.

People you have to remember we are not asking for Tesla to design something new like a car that runs on water. Just a center console that EVERY other car on the road has. Even a new KIA has a center console. This isn't rocket science its a center console. Let me get this correct the car itself was a marvel which makes Elon look to be a genius but a center console is to difficult to design and make in a timely manner.

People you have to remember we are not asking for Tesla to design something new like a car that runs on water. Just a center console that EVERY other car on the road has. Even a new KIA has a center console. This isn't rocket science its a center console. Let me get this correct the car itself was a marvel which makes Elon look to be a genius but a center console is to difficult to design and make in a timely manner.

I think if you read the almost 300 posts in this thread, it's somewhat obvious that no one is unaware of this fact.