Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And while you're at it, automatically add everyone on the previous wait lists to the new wait list before offering it in the store.

Yes, that should have been beyond obvious to whomever it was that was handling this stuff. The way they handled all of it should be a case study in how many different ways something can be screwed up to piss off your loyal customers.

That being said, it appears that availability may not be that limited, and people have been ordering the consoles again. So if it turns out that the Piano Black really isn't in all that much of a short supply, the indignity perpetrated on those who had been on the waiting list for a long time, only to find themselves not only not getting the console they thought they were, but also not able to order the poor-replacement for the console they wanted, may not wind up having very dire consequences, as it may just mean they wound up getting the Piano Black console a couple of weeks later. The real issue is what Tesla is doing to all of us if they don't come up with a replacement piece: we'll be forced to live with a mismatched console for as long as we keep our cars! That's much worse than just another couple of weeks of delay.

Yes, that should have been beyond obvious to whomever it was that was handling this stuff. The way they handled all of it should be a case study in how many different ways something can be screwed up to piss off your loyal customers.

That being said, it appears that availability may not be that limited, and people have been ordering the consoles again. So if it turns out that the Piano Black really isn't in all that much of a short supply, the indignity perpetrated on those who had been on the waiting list for a long time, only to find themselves not only not getting the console they thought they were, but also not able to order the poor-replacement for the console they wanted, may not wind up having very dire consequences, as it may just mean they wound up getting the Piano Black console a couple of weeks later. The real issue is what Tesla is doing to all of us if they don't come up with a replacement piece: we'll be forced to live with a mismatched console for as long as we keep our cars! That's much worse than just another couple of weeks of delay.

I think they are serivicing those on the prior wait lists before taking new orders. I have the piano black trim on the S I expect to receive in the next 2-3 weeks, and have been trying to order the console. Still listed as sold out in the gear shop.

I think they are serivicing those on the prior wait lists before taking new orders. I have the piano black trim on the S I expect to receive in the next 2-3 weeks, and have been trying to order the console. Still listed as sold out in the gear shop.

They may be doing that now, but they weren't at first, which is what a lot of people (though not me) were upset about. I wasn't upset about that in particular, although I saw the unfairness in it, and understood why others were upset. I wasn't personally annoyed about that issue because I happened to jump in in time to get one before they sold out within an hour of that emai message being sent. But I also wasn't all that upset, even for those who didn't get one then, because that was still just a timing issue. The issue I have been most upset about, and have been most vocal about is the broken promise, resulting in a permanently mismatched interior for many of us. I was, and am, willing to keep waiting to get what was originally promised.

Just installed at the service center....

IMG_6729.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6732.JPG

Aaron

Thanks for posting that - looks like you've got black stitching on the rest of your car, you could take a rag and some black shoe polish and rub it into the white stitching on the console to make it match. Five minutes and you're done. :)

If you are referring to Aaron's post, I only see the tan stitching on tan leather. Black stitching may make the black leather blend in more, but overall, I don't think it will matter since its not a match either way.

If you are referring to Aaron's post, I only see the tan stitching on tan leather. Black stitching may make the black leather blend in more, but overall, I don't think it will matter since its not a match either way.
If you look at the photos - all of the stiching is leather colored. So tan leather with tan stitching, black "leather" with black stitching, etc.

Notice the black stitching on the doors, and on the standard armrest.

Just installed at the service center....

Aaron

Looks great installed! Thanks for posting the good pictures, haven't seem too many of the console just yet. Make me feel better about having it installed in the next couple of weeks at delivery. Got the Piano Black of course though since that is what my interior is. That looks nice though!

If you have any feedback on its operability and use after a bit post that - would love to hear more about what you think of it and how well it works.

-T

All -

I kind of like the white stitching, so I'm going to keep it as-is at least for the time being.

The Obeche Matte on the Console matches the Obeche Matte of my car fairly well I think. I have an early Vin, so there may be some differences, but overall I'm very happy with the fit and finish!

Functionality will have to wait until I've had more time to use it, but I was able to fit my iPhone 6 (in it's Apple Leather Case) into the dock without a problem and it charged!

Aaron

Did you have to special order the black stitching?

My email to Tesla in February of this year:

"The consoles I've seen have light colored stitching that will not match my car and likely many others. Is Tesla going to have a darker stitching option for those of us who don't have white stitching in our car? How do we resolve the mismatch?"

Tesla's response:

"Our team has been made aware that there is a difference within some vehicles with the stitching, though we do not know if they will be moving forward with a solution at this time."

After console-gate a couple of weeks ago, I sent an email to Elon Musk regarding my disappointment over how this release was handled. The next morning I received an email telling me I will be receiving a CF console with black stitching. I doubt my email to Musk had anything to do with this, but the timing was interesting.

Is there a way we might be able to find out what company manufactured the consoles for Tesla and then contact them directly to see about purchasing replacement parts, or parts that Tesla found unacceptable? I have no background in this kind of sleuthing, but since Tesla is a publicly traded company there are some reporting requirements. Might any of the documents Tesla is required to file include clues as to the console manufacturer?

Assuming the part can just be swapped in (still hoping to hear word on that) I'm pretty sure I'd be happier with an Obeche Matte cover that didn't quite pass Tesla's quality control standards than the ugly Piano Black I have now that offends me every time I get in my car.

Thoughts?

What really bothers me about all of this is that there's still no coherent statement from Tesla about what is going on. I understand that initially the different departments may not have known what the others were doing and that there are always communication issues, but this became a ****storm several weeks ago and I'm really disappointed that no one at Tesla appears to have been appointed point-person/spokesperson to put out the fire. Just tell us what is going on, what we should do, what we can expect.

BTW, the black console is once again out of stock.