Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S purchase Model 3 cancel?

Ordered Model S/ Did you cancel Model 3

• Keeping Model 3 reservation

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Cancelled Model 3 reservation

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Can't wait to have a second EV!

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 60kwh option has changed the Model 3 plans of many, including me.

I have read many times on this forum people who decided not to wait for the Model 3 and purchased an S. Most have kept the Model 3 reservation and fully plan on buying the 3. Some may have leased and will switch to the model 3 when the time comes. So I was wondering if anyone cancelled and will stick with their S. I did the same and have kept my Model 3 reservation with the intent of using it. ;)

I canceled mine. Model 3 is not really the car for me. It is not a hatch and judging from the pricing I will probably be paying well over 50K to get the extended model. So I got a model S instead and am enjoying EV driving now.

Also I know the model 3 build quality will probably be spotty until the 2nd batches where they make all the fixes. So I rather hold on to my money and wait and see what tesla have to offer.

I leased an S just to move my M3 position up.

jk

I am getting one of the super-sale S cars as an interim. However, given that it has every option, I'm already getting the suspicion that I will get attached to it and the 3 will be an addition rather than a replacement. I'm sure Tesla never considered this.

I got a super-good deal on a 75D, but am keeping the 3 res. I figure in case I do want to order one when the time comes that I don't lose my spot. A fully refundable $1k deposit to be well ahead of the line is worth it to me for this reason.

Ordered a S75D, and I am keeping my model 3 res. I will need another car in a few years for my wife when we pass our ice vehicle on to a new teenage driver at that time. I think model 3 sales will not take place before Jan 2018? Just my guess? In the present time, I now will absolutly receive my 7500 tax credit in 2016 and now be bumped up on the model 3 reservation list as a current tesla owner, ( instead of somewhere in the 370,000 mark) so hopefully I will also receive another 7500 tax credit with that future purchase? We'll see?!?

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Have two Model 3 reservations but succumbed to temptation and pulled the trigger on a 2 year lease on a demo Model S P90DL (pre-refresh).

Planning to buy a Model 3 in early 2018 (hopefully) and go all electric, and then turn in the Model S at the end of the lease for a second Model 3 or possibly try to extend the lease a bit until the Model Y is available.

Really loving the S -- so much fun to drive. Glad I couldn't resist!

I had two Model 3 reservations (waited in line on the morning of 03/31 in Fremont). I just got my S60. I canceled one reservation, but kept the other. My parents will need one or a Chevy Bolt. I might even give them my S60, if the Model 3 is fully autonomous by the time it comes out and get one instead.

I am going to buy a CPO Model S in a few months, but for now, I am keeping my 3 reservation. I figure I will wait out Reveal 2 and see what the actual options on the 3 end up looking like. I am not a huge fan of the current interior, so that is my biggest worry. By then I will have been driving the S for a few months and will better be able to decide if I would rather keep the S longer (the likely scenario) and just get a 3 after a couple years of production have ramped up and bugs have been worked out.

I canceled mine. Model 3 is not really the car for me. It is not a hatch and judging from the pricing I will probably be paying well over 50K to get the extended model. So I got a model S instead and am enjoying EV driving now.

Also I know the model 3 build quality will probably be spotty until the 2nd batches where they make all the fixes. So I rather hold on to my money and wait and see what tesla have to offer.
I did the same, for pretty much all the reasons that you mentioned....