Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sentimental reasons, to me, doesn’t mean it can’t be upgraded. Just don’t expect it to be a profit driver. Why would they muck around on the track with plaid?

now maybe they won’t do an interior/exterior refresh but a plaid drivetrain is pretty big. Probably wait and see how the Y goes. That will eat more into the S/X than the 3.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Reactions: SmartElectric
Then why are they bringing out the plaid version? I think he just doesn’t want to tank sales until the announcement next year for the refresh. Would not be the first misspoke/ misdirection by Elon.

Dropping a new powertrain and interior is still way cheaper than developing a new platform or new generation. I don't expect the S/X to get a new generation or platform.

Reactions: alloverx
It seems like Tesla has decided to sunset the S and the X, no more refresh:

Elon Musk says Tesla is only building the Model S and Model X for 'sentimental reasons'

Have to start seriously shopping for a Rivian or Tesla Pickup 7-seater to fit family+gear, wonder how long that wait is going to be.

The end is near... :cool:

"The Model S and X are really niche," the CEO said on Tesla's third-quarter earnings call, after the company handily topped Wall Street's financial estimates for the period. "They're really niche products," he continued. "I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future."

The statement aligns somewhat with Musk's public statements about Tesla's Model 3 being the company's flagship product for the years to come. Musk also hinted at big plans for the company's forthcoming Model Y crossover on the call, saying he now expects to reach full production of 1,000 units per week in the summer of 2020 instead of the fall as originally planned.

The European car companies are coming out with Model S and X competitors and pretty much leaving the Model 3 and Y with no real competition. Tesla also has the truck coming and the next gen Roadster will be their halo product with the super performance.

The S and X offer a few things the 3 and Y don't have, but aren't really worth the premium. I like the S far more than the 3, but if I were buying today, I would buy a 3.

I expect Tesla will limp the S and X along for a while with some minor upgrades (mostly incorporating tech from newer car designs) as long as they can sell a minimum number. At some point they may drop them for a while and then reintroduce them as stretched versions of the Model 3/Y platform.

GM did this with their large cars for decades. The Chevy Impala/Caprice, Buick Le Sabre, and Old 88 were the short chassis version and the Cadillac Fleetwood, Olds 98, and Buick Park Avenue were stretched versions of the same chassis with extra trim.

Tesla's future is not as a luxury car maker. That was just their way into the market. Elon's master plan has been since the beginning: first a very expensive car (the Roadster), then a moderately expensive car (Model S/X) and then a mass produced car (3/Y). Tesla achieves their goal of transitioning the world with the cheapest, long range EV possible, not selling small numbers of expensive cars in a very crowded luxury market with a very limited market.

The large vehicle market has gone almost completely to vehicles built on truck chassis in North America and it virtually doesn't exist in most of the rest of the world. The S/X are very large vehicles that are difficult to maneuver and park in much of the world. At some point in the future Tesla might come out with a second gen X built on the Tesla pick up platform and have no car larger than the 3/Y. The S might become extinct.

The European car companies are coming out with Model S and X competitors and pretty much leaving the Model 3 and Y with no real competition. Tesla also has the truck coming and the next gen Roadster will be their halo product with the super performance.

The S and X offer a few things the 3 and Y don't have, but aren't really worth the premium. I like the S far more than the 3, but if I were buying today, I would buy a 3.

I expect Tesla will limp the S and X along for a while with some minor upgrades (mostly incorporating tech from newer car designs) as long as they can sell a minimum number. At some point they may drop them for a while and then reintroduce them as stretched versions of the Model 3/Y platform.

GM did this with their large cars for decades. The Chevy Impala/Caprice, Buick Le Sabre, and Old 88 were the short chassis version and the Cadillac Fleetwood, Olds 98, and Buick Park Avenue were stretched versions of the same chassis with extra trim.

Tesla's future is not as a luxury car maker. That was just their way into the market. Elon's master plan has been since the beginning: first a very expensive car (the Roadster), then a moderately expensive car (Model S/X) and then a mass produced car (3/Y). Tesla achieves their goal of transitioning the world with the cheapest, long range EV possible, not selling small numbers of expensive cars in a very crowded luxury market with a very limited market.

The large vehicle market has gone almost completely to vehicles built on truck chassis in North America and it virtually doesn't exist in most of the rest of the world. The S/X are very large vehicles that are difficult to maneuver and park in much of the world. At some point in the future Tesla might come out with a second gen X built on the Tesla pick up platform and have no car larger than the 3/Y. The S might become extinct.

Well stated,I think the Pickup will be the new high margin profit maker, and maybe spawn a SUV/CUV.

I am dying every single day waiting for the new Model X interior refresh :( :( :( :( :(
If they change the Model S/X interior to look like a Model 3, I would never buy one. I won't buy a Model 3 because it should have looked like a scaled down Model S/X interior. The Model 3 interior reminds me of the Mini where they put the speedometer in the middle of the dash instead of in front of the driver.

I believe this

Tesla Model 3 prototypes with potentially longer wheelbase spotted - Electrek

might explain why Tesla is finally sunsetting the S and the X - they had quite a price premium for a little bit of Elongation in comparison to the 3.

It might explain some things… if you accept that camouflaged car is, in fact, a stretched Model 3 and that Tesla are, in fact, sunsetting the S and X. I think both of those are unlikely. I just shake my head when people read the tea leaves to come up with rumors like this, and in a flash everyone is treating them as if they're real.

Tesla increases Model S and Model X range, now tops at 373 miles - Electrek

During a conference call with analysts after Tesla’s Q3 2019 earnings, Musk said that they have more improvements coming through software updates:

I forgot to mention, we’re also expecting there’s going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That’s, by the way, coming in a few weeks. It should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Tesla VP of technology Drew Baglino said that they have found ways to optimize the motor control, and it should result in about “5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for Model S and Model X” customers. Musk also said that the upcoming update will also bring improvements to the range, single-pedal driving, Supercharging speed, comfort, and feel. Tesla started releasing an update with the power increase, but we are expecting more updates with the other upgrades mentioned by Tesla’s management.

C14FE3E2-70F0-46BD-9935-FEF63AE655D6.jpeg
Tesla just did a slight “refresh” to the X as of yesterday with new front seat design.

starting to make be believe Tesla is “refreshing” bit by bit and not everything at once

Status
Not open for further replies.