Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The current S pack IS structural - take it out and the remaining chassis is frighteningly wobbly, just with your hand.
However, in the context of the 4680 discussion , “structural” means “batteries integral to the strength of the battery pack”, and thus secondarily to the strength of the car. The idea is to eliminate some non-battery elements of the pack to save space and weight.

I've read the newer cell's form factor
is so big (high, thick pack) that it won't fit a current S.

The new cell is 15mm higher - doesn't sound it should be impossible, but haven't looked at what goes inside.

That being said, it seems reasonable that Tesla would want to test the structural battery at a lower volume vehicle first, so the S/X would fit the bill. Also, it may be significantly cheaper to produce, which would be a good incentive.

Reactions: SmartElectric
The Plaid candidate seen in the wild was said to seem more "planted to the ground", maybe that's why. Maybe that's why it's bit wider too, to match the pack.

I am still a bit dubious of those observations - not enough quality shots with comparison possible. The blue car videod was not obviously bigger and there is a confirmation bias in what we want to see...

Reactions: Olle and irish26
The Plaid candidate seen in the wild was said to seem more "planted to the ground", maybe that's why. Maybe that's why it's bit wider too, to match the pack.

Any size difference from that one video can be explained by flaring the fenders a little to accommodate wider tires.

From an engineering perspective any structural changes to the platform are major changes, even to just add a little width or length. Any structural changes must be safety tested, which means we'd be hearing about crash tests on the new chassis.

Because of the engineering and approval for structural changes, any changes happening to the S/X early this year will be cosmetic or internal. I also expect they will be relatively minor. There will be no changes to the core platform that has been in production essentially unchanged since 2012.

Reactions: rickyjb
This may be part of the solution... First look at Tesla’s new structural battery pack that will power its future electric cars (electrek.co)

Tesla-structural-battery-pack.jpg

Reactions: rypalmer
What is the stuff between the cells? Coolant?

Did you read the article?... :cool:

"Electrek obtained the first picture of one of the very first structural battery packs ever produced by Tesla. The image shows the battery pack without the new 4680 cells in them – showcasing the honeycomb design of the pack: Without the cells, we can better appreciate the structural aspects of the honeycomb structure, which is known for its strength while also being lightweight.

It has already been used in aerospace and in the automotive industry – although not for the same use as Tesla. On the picture of Tesla’s new battery pack, we can also see that Tesla built the coolant loops on the sides around the pack. To complete the battery pack, Tesla would drop the 4680 battery cells into the holes and bound them to the pack to contribute to the structural integrity and power the electric vehicles."

Did you read the article?... :cool:

"Electrek obtained the first picture of one of the very first structural battery packs ever produced by Tesla. The image shows the battery pack without the new 4680 cells in them – showcasing the honeycomb design of the pack: Without the cells, we can better appreciate the structural aspects of the honeycomb structure, which is known for its strength while also being lightweight.

It has already been used in aerospace and in the automotive industry – although not for the same use as Tesla. On the picture of Tesla’s new battery pack, we can also see that Tesla built the coolant loops on the sides around the pack. To complete the battery pack, Tesla would drop the 4680 battery cells into the holes and bound them to the pack to contribute to the structural integrity and power the electric vehicles."
I often post without reading properly!
On this occasion, though, I am not sure that that answers my question, FlatSix911?
I see the coolant pipes on the sides, but the blue stuff making up the honeycomb presumably CONDUCTS heat away from the batteries? Or are you saying the coolant loops ARE the blue honeycomb?

Reactions: FlatSix911
I see the coolant pipes on the sides, but the blue stuff making up the honeycomb presumably CONDUCTS heat away from the batteries? Or are you saying the coolant loops ARE the blue honeycomb?

Originally Munro speculated the batteries would be immersed into some sort of epoxy and cooling only from top and bottom bottom (which was supposed to be somehow most efficient). Probably the epoxy mix can be optimized for structural strength, fire insulation, and heat conductivity ...

Status
Not open for further replies.