Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal anecdotes are... anecdotal. Obviously some ppl do care about interior details. I even ran a poll in another thread asking fence-sitters 'What improvements would it take for you to buy a Model S?'.

Out of the 12 poll choices, an improved interior came in a very close second to a price cut:

[Poll] For the Fence-Sitters... What's the #1 Change/Improvement That'd Get You To Buy A Model S?...

And yep, if you're curious, I have used the coat hooks and door pockets in my current vehicle. It's not an extremely rare, unprecedented event, like a Bigfoot sighting. ;)

My question is, "Hey Elon... is it really that hard to include such things, if you see 'em even on econoboxes?"

But to be fair, an interior refresh is allegedly coming in mid-2018. Let's see if many/any of the complaints get addressed then.

Just to be clear, for coat hooks, we're talking about the ones that hang from the grab handles? If you actually put a coat there, it blocks your blind spot window. Do people not care about their blind spots?

you miss the point.....its adds to the whole luxury idea of paying 1/2 as much for a car WITH THE SAME TECH AS THE S MODEL...and even better tech in wipers/screen resolution and screem refreshrate. The 3 is better/newer/higher tech not only software wise but in harware as well. Even the headlights seem to perform way way better then the s headlights...and i bet homelink actually works on the 3.

Homelink works fine on my Model S. The range isn't as good as the separate remote, but it works.

lets face it...they needed the s to fund them into the 3. Bottom line is they needed to suck as much $$$$$ for a model s as they could get from buyers to fund the operation and his other space x crap.

Like everything the 1st of any item is way overpriced untill its not new tech anymore or other versions of the same tech come out...like 4k tv.....now i think 5k is coming.....all laptops will be 4k soon and cheap as 720p laptops were 5-6 yrs ago.

SpaceX is a separate company from Tesla. Elon Musk has invested his own money in both companies and the companies have shared technology, but I don't believe money was taken out of one company and put in the other.

Model S sales helped make the Model X happen, and sales of both have helped make the Model 3 happen. They have always been a bit overpriced for what you get, but they needed to be to help fund continued development. I expect that will be changing. They can keep demand up a bit during the Model 3 ramp by pitching it as the car you can get sooner (as they are doing now), and they can start ratcheting down the price to open the doors to more buyers.

The Model 3 could be a major game changer for the automotive industry, but it will probably be a big game changer for Tesla too. Up to now they have had to supplement continued development by selling stock or doing other things to raise money. When the Model 3 reaches volume, they will be in the position for the first time that in production cars are paying for everything.

Currently they make about 50K Model S and a smaller number of Model X a year. But say they will make 100K of the S/X next year. If they continue to make around $20K a car as they do now, that's about $2 billion gross profit on car sales from those two lines. If they get Model 3 production to 250K cars and only make $10K a car, that's $2.5 billion from the Model 3. And they plan to ramp to 500K a year before 2020.

They could afford to cut their profit margin on the Model S and X and still do quite well. Additionally the cost of production of the Model S and X will probably be coming down too. As they have built the production lines for the Model 3, they have learned how to make cars more efficiently. There are some things with the S/X that will still be expensive to produce (I've heard the X's front windshield and falcon wing doors are a nightmare to get right). They could make changes to the cars to make them easier to produce that the customer will never see. Other things might be noticeable, but people won't care.

Another cost savings will be in the costs of raw materials. They will be buying some things used on all cars that will becoming cheaper because their volume is up, such as sheet aluminum, fasteners, some of the electronics, etc.

In a year, the S and X might easily cost $10K less to produce. If they passed those savings on instead of pocketing the profits, some people sitting on the fence because of the price would go for an S over the 3.

They need to keep the S positioned as the more luxurious car than the 3, but the price point can't be so high a large number of people say "why bother?" To justify the Model S they need to produce and sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. If volume drops too low, there isn't any point in keeping the Model S production line open anymore. The fixed costs spread out over production take too big a bite of the profits.

Hi guys,

I am a new member to TMC and hopefully new Model S owner. I'm in a dilemma. I purchased the Model S and order was confirmed Nov 1st 2017. I have been following this forum, and there seems to be a fever pitch about imminent refresh. That coupled with the strong possibility of the federal tax credit going away after 2017. I wanted to ask should I cancel my model S order and lose the tax credit, unlimited supercharging and referral discount in hopes of possible Model S refresh in 2018?

Thanks again guys, I'm really on the fence these days. My Delivery date keeps jumping around on the My Tesla page. From Late January-early february to now december-early January. At the time of ordering it stated Delivery for december. Something is going on, and it might be delays due to refresh coming soon?

Personal anecdotes are... anecdotal. Obviously some ppl do care about interior details. I even ran a poll in another thread asking fence-sitters 'What improvements would it take for you to buy a Model S?'.

Out of the 12 poll choices, an improved interior came in a very close second to a price cut:

[Poll] For the Fence-Sitters... What's the #1 Change/Improvement That'd Get You To Buy A Model S?...

And yep, if you're curious, I have used the coat hooks and door pockets in my current vehicle. It's not an extremely rare, unprecedented event, like a Bigfoot sighting. ;)

My question is, "Hey Elon... is it really that hard to include such things, if you see 'em even on econoboxes?"

But to be fair, an interior refresh is allegedly coming in mid-2018. Let's see if many/any of the complaints get addressed then.

I prefer no pockets of any type. I have three children and they leave trash in any pockets. Now I finally have a clean car.

the s isnt that much bigger really.... not even by a bmw 3 vs 5 standards or a 5 vs 7...
Its very little bigger so to sAY.....
I don't know where people get this idea. The S is way bigger. I can move furniture in the S and haul things from Lowes (or Home Depot if you'd like) or actually comfortably fit three people in the back (not Elon-pretend comfortably fit three people). The 3 is slightly larger than a BMW 300 series.

Reactions: brkaus
Hi guys,

I am a new member to TMC and hopefully new Model S owner. I'm in a dilemma. I purchased the Model S and order was confirmed Nov 1st 2017. I have been following this forum, and there seems to be a fever pitch about imminent refresh. That coupled with the strong possibility of the federal tax credit going away after 2017. I wanted to ask should I cancel my model S order and lose the tax credit, unlimited supercharging and referral discount in hopes of possible Model S refresh in 2018?

Thanks again guys, I'm really on the fence these days. My Delivery date keeps jumping around on the My Tesla page. From Late January-early february to now december-early January. At the time of ordering it stated Delivery for december. Something is going on, and it might be delays due to refresh coming soon?

Hanad, welcome.

This thread started in July, so can we agree the imminent part didn’t happen?

Many of the posts in the thread mention that while the model 3 is a focus area, Tesla is unlikely to update the current cars in a major way.

Once the model 3 is in high production, it is likely Tesla will roll out an update. That could be a year or more away.

Another subject you will read in other threads is differing personal views about updates. Many claim the previous version of self driving is superior to the current one, for example.

Tesla automobiles are software platforms. Those that purchased cars with the 75D configuration are enjoying a terrific improvement in acceleration, provided at no additional charge.

One of the downsides of buying cutting edge technology is you will see newer versions come out. That doesn’t mean a current car is no longer a great car. For most people, Tesla’s are the best cars in the world.

Best of luck with your decision.

Hanad, welcome.

This thread started in July, so can we agree the imminent part didn’t happen?

Many of the posts in the thread mention that while the model 3 is a focus area, Tesla is unlikely to update the current cars in a major way.

Once the model 3 is in high production, it is likely Tesla will roll out an update. That could be a year or more away.

Another subject you will read in other threads is differing personal views about updates. Many claim the previous version of self driving is superior to the current one, for example.

Tesla automobiles are software platforms. Those that purchased cars with the 75D configuration are enjoying a terrific improvement in acceleration, provided at no additional charge.

One of the downsides of buying cutting edge technology is you will see newer versions come out. That doesn’t mean a current car is no longer a great car. For most people, Tesla’s are the best cars in the world.

Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks for the welcome. You know I was pretty excites to purchase the 75D and still am. But I’m also a patient person, I would keep this car for a decade if I could. But with Elon hinting at a possible hardware update, increase entry level battery and new interior/exterior possibly in 2018 I wonder if the above advantages by buying now are worth it. TMC contributers are way too informative for the good and the bad.

Also, you are right about non-imminent nature but I’ve been seeing more recent posts dealing with the same questions.

Glad I'm not the only one. I said the same thing I feel no pockets is a feature. I hate when they turn into garbage cans. Not having them gets rid of the problem of having to tell people to empty them :)
This morning I discovered a dirty tissue in one of the tiny tiny pockets that Tesla put on the back doors. I almost took a photo to share with the group. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
Thanks for the welcome. You know I was pretty excites to purchase the 75D and still am. But I’m also a patient person, I would keep this car for a decade if I could. But with Elon hinting at a possible hardware update, increase entry level battery and new interior/exterior possibly in 2018 I wonder if the above advantages by buying now are worth it. TMC contributers are way too informative for the good and the bad.

Also, you are right about non-imminent nature but I’ve been seeing more recent posts dealing with the same questions.

I agree with others in that I feel that there is a zero chance of any major update to the S while the model 3 is in “production hell”. It used to be the same way with computers- something better and faster will always come out later. So my personal philosophy has been, “If you need it now, buy it now”.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Hi guys,

We all hear ya. From thousands of experiences, mine included, you learn that when you buy a new Tesla it immediately becomes old because Tesla makes continual innovations, as in several a week. There are no model years because of that, but you get the absolute best all the time. If you wait 6 months now, in six months you'll need to wait another six months because of the latest upgrades. You'll never catch up.

Don't let expectations make you think you might wish you had waited! My "old" 90D has the "classic" nose. But remember it also has two years' worth of over the air updates. I may not have full self driving, but I do have AP1, which does better than most other cars on the road.

Like owning an iPhone, when they have enough new things on it you gotta have, then you upgrade. I figure my 90D is good for a few years yet. Best. Car. Ever.

I just wish Tesla had some kind of regular timetables for updates. Its now happened to me on 2 occasions when i brought a vehicle then within months there was an update. 1st was whenI brought a 85D in the 'classic' design only for a month later for there to be a bodywork refresh. 2nd was I then exchanged for a P90D for Tesla to announce the P100D a few weeks before I took delivery!!

I just wish Tesla had some kind of regular timetables for updates. Its now happened to me on 2 occasions when i brought a vehicle then within months there was an update. 1st was whenI brought a 85D in the 'classic' design only for a month later for there to be a bodywork refresh. 2nd was I then exchanged for a P90D for Tesla to announce the P100D a few weeks before I took delivery!!

That's the apprehension, I get that tech updates occur all the time. However, I feel like there is something in the horizon coming maybe 2017 Q4 or 2018 Q1, and don't want to be in a situation missing out. Although, as roblab stated, I would doubt very much driving any Tesla that I would regret it comparatively to what's on the road even with a Model S refresh.

Reactions: SnowFlyer and GaryW
My wife and I bought our 75D in November (delivered end of December 2016 because we thought Trump would've killed the EV credit long before now).

Our car is not really out of date. Its now uncorked, so its as fast as the new 75Ds. It was fully customized (unlike new orders now). Nothing was bundled, we chose each option, color, and configuration. We do not have the premium seats with the adjustable headrest but after driving a 100D loaner with them, I much prefer our leather next gen seats (who uses a headrest anyways?).

We have AP2.0 (2.5 is out now but no different than 2.0 and we will have our car upgraded as we bought FSD). So I'm missing the "everything changes and the sky is falling" attitude. If they refresh the interior, which they won't, it doesn't necessarily mean its better. Just different.

Just ask those with the microwave frunks and the yacht floors! I'd kill for one of those larger frunks (but I love my BWD mode and dual motors!).

So order, enjoy, and eventually your car will be outdated but Tesla might just keep your car like the new ones through other innovations (like magically making mine as fast as a new 75D a year after the car was built). Or Tesla might screw something up and the older cars will be better.

The only thing you can be certain about is that something will be changing with Tesla.

We have AP2.0 (2.5 is out now but no different than 2.0 and we will have our car upgraded as we bought FSD). So I'm missing the "everything changes and the sky is falling" attitude. If they refresh the interior, which they won't, it doesn't necessarily mean its better. Just different.

I don't know what you came from pre-Tesla but as someone that came from BMWs and Audis I find the Tesla interior to be severely lacking in the luxury department. I know not everyone shares this view but luxury cars these are not. And that's ok! It's still an amazing car. I think the comment that Tesla isn't going to refresh the interior is a little naive though because as more and more Model 3 review videos come out you're seeing what's effectively an identical quality (if not nicer and more practical than the S) interior and you're seeing it on a car that's tens of thousands of dollars downmarket from the S.

Tesla HAS to differentiate the S from the 3 and as competitors roll out with flagship electric cars they're not going to get a pass on the lackluster interior anymore. Me specifically, if Audi came out with an electric A8 with a cruise control similar to AP1 tomorrow I would ditch the S so fast it's low quality headlights would spin.

But again, that's all ok. I have every bit of confidence that they know what they need to do and that they're going to do it. With the refresh I'd argue that the S is the best looking sedan at any price range. Get me an interior that's on par with that and I'm ready to go with S number 4.

Hi guys,

I wouldn't cancel. The car today is an outstanding car, and almost certainly Tesla will come out with something that's better soonish, but if you continually sit on the fence waiting for whatever the next great thing is, you'll be missing out driving the best car available right now.

I bought my car the middle of last year. Since then they have come out with the 100D, AP2, better seats, and a number of little improvements here and there. But I don't regret buying when I did. I've been driving an absolutely terrific car for the last 1 1/2 years. It's not as good as the latest Model S, but it's better than anything else out there.

Reactions: GaryW

As I said, if you want a "timetable" then you want a Toyota. Or GM or Ford or Nissan, etc. And you have to wait a full year for them to do the updates that accumulate, and THEN there will never be any more updates of software. But you know that model year 2018, which is coming out now, will still be the same in October 2018, a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.