Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] For the Fence-Sitters... What's the #1 Change/Improvement That'd Get You To Buy A Model S?...

Poll: For the Fence-Sitters... What's the #1 Change/Improvement That'd Get You To Buy A Model S?

• 10-15% greater range.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 20-30% greater range.

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $5K cost cut.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • $10K cost cut.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • More luxurious interior 'look and feel'.

Votes: 46 24.6%
  • More exterior and interior color options.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Lighter weight/better brakes/better 'track' handling.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • More aggressive or more conservative exterior styling (post which).

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • A coupe or wagon version (post which).

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Better Autopilot functionality/consistency.

Votes: 23 12.3%
  • Greater vehicle reliability.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other (post it).

Votes: 21 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FutureShock

Best Coast Denizen
Aug 30, 2017
NorCal
In other words, you're considering buying a Model S, but can't quite bring yourself to do so, because, "If only Tesla would just (change or improve that one thing)..." :oops:

IOW, What's the #1 thing keeping you from buying one/what's the #1 thing you're waiting to change before you jump in?

(if it's more than one thing, select the thing that's most irksome)

For those of you who already own a Model S, what's the top thing you'd like to see improved – especially if that'd influence your choice about buying another Model S?

(Note: The poll functionality is limited to 12 choices, so if your response isn't listed in the poll, post it).

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryW
Great poll BTW.

So I just pulled the trigger on a MS75D. It wasn't so much that I was "on the fence." I knew I was going to get one someday. But for me, when they rolled in key items from the former PUP into the new model and made them standard...I knew I had to order. Things like air suspension, active lighting, power lift gate, and such...for me...really seemed to be "ticket" items that pushed me over the edge...otherwise I just would have waited another 6 mo to a year.

The 0-60 performance boost this summer up to 4.2 sec also pushed me over my "timeline" fence as well.

I did not select any poll options, as none of the reasons I just described are up there. But good poll none-the-less!

Results so far: Desire for a more luxurious interior is #1, and a major price cut is #2.

Just those two choices are 60% of the votes thus far. But increased range in general is another 20%.

Hmm, slightly surprising (to me anyway)... the interior's really that 'meh'? :oops:
Maybe I haven't been in enough competing cars to really judge.

Last edited:
I'm a fence sitter for now and a day 1 Model 3 reservation holder. I love the exterior design of the S over the 3 but can't seem to pull the trigger on the S. Financially can afford the S or X but I feel it's not worth the price jump from a loaded long range 3 with premium package+EAP. For me a interior refresh, improved touchscreen performance/new cpu from the 3 and a 20-30 mile range increase from the 75kw battery would get me to jump if it's same starting price. Or to get me to jump now would require a $5-10k price drop from base pricing.

Reactions: PrGrPa
For those of you who already own a Model S, what's the top thing you'd like to see improved – especially if that'd influence your choice about buying another Model S?

I will upgrade my S when they add adjustable seat belt heights. No kidding, that is my biggest annoyance. Sure, I'd like the TACC my husband has too, but I am not pulling the trigger until they fix the dang belts. (AP hasn't really proven itself to be a must have for me except TACC. We never use the rest of it.)

I checked the exterior styling box (apparently the only one!). Not exactly what would hold me back from purchasing another. IMHO, the styling is getting a little long in the tooth. If I'm going to plop down $100,000 plus on a car, I'm not getting the identical car with a few software updates. I haven't even hear rumors of a major design change to the S which I firmly believe will hold back many people from purchasing. I know Tesla has a lot going on (maybe too much) but they have to consider a re-design to "keep it fresh".

I will upgrade my S when they add adjustable seat belt heights. No kidding, that is my biggest annoyance. Sure, I'd like the TACC my husband has too, but I am not pulling the trigger until they fix the dang belts. (AP hasn't really proven itself to be a must have for me except TACC. We never use the rest of it.)
Wow, I'm surprised they overlooked that.

Would seem to be something out of 'Interior Ergonomics 101'. :oops:

Wow, I'm surprised they overlooked that [adjustable seat belt height].

Would seem to be something out of 'Interior Ergonomics 101'. :oops:

When we tested the S we didn’t notice its absence. I instinctively agreed with your comment. As I thought more about it I realised that my SO & I rarely change the seatbelt heights when using each other’s cars. We are about 18cm apart in height so maybe that’s not a big enough difference for us to feel the need to adjust for.

I posted in the poll despite having recently ordered a model S 75D as they’re currently priced and specified.

I opted for 20-30% range increase. Mainly for the idea of faster charging and having more charge for driving around near destinations that lack accessible charge points. The idea of having 85-100 battery performance for 75 pricing is appealing. And 120-130 battery performance for 100 pricing might appeal to some.

All the other things seem fine to me. The interior that a number of folks complain isn’t in the luxury car league seems OK to me: simple, comfortable, and lacking the cluttered ostentation of some marques. The styling looks distinctive. The hatchback design is exactly what I need from a car: easy access to a big cargo area for bulky items. The price, well cheaper would be more inviting but the current price and finance offers make the Model S effectively cheaper than some ICE cars at the same sticker price I might once have wondered about getting. Maybe one option not there that seems a common complaint is ‘quieter’-reduced tyre and wind noise.

I'm ready to buy through my company in the UK, but it really needs an interior refresh for me to buy, no vanity mirrors indicate to me they are currently milking their current set up - which is fair enough if people are buying - but for me it needs some tweaks.

It's not on the poll, but the centre screen really needs a processor upgrade, during demo drives and playing with it in the showroom its a bit clunky and slow, and reports of the Nav being Garmin (stupid) is putting me off.

Looking forward to joining you guys at some point in the future however.

When we tested the S we didn’t notice its absence. I instinctively agreed with your comment. As I thought more about it I realised that my SO & I rarely change the seatbelt heights when using each other’s cars. We are about 18cm apart in height so maybe that’s not a big enough difference for us to feel the need to adjust for.

I am only 5’2” so the S seatbelt cuts across my neck. I had to buy one of those ugly seatbelt pads to make it comfortable enough to drive regularly, and it is still annoying. It’s probably not the safest thing in a crash either since it’s more on my neck than my shoulder.

My husband is 6’ tall, and it’s fine for him.

Can I answer "Then", and "Now"?
I already have an S75D. So:
Then: "If they put a SC in the Rochester, NY area I'll buy a Tesla", I said. They did, so I swallowed hard, and did :)
Now: Knowing what I know now, I would want a *committed*, *predictable* firmware update schedule with at least six months of history showing that Tesla met the commitment.

Agile software development is not rocket science. And we already know that Tesla's brethren can handle rocket science!