Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New custom order deliveries start in Feb. Looks like there is something going on in January.

Maybe something will come up at the semi event, IDK. But the February date is normal for US orders at this time. The first month of EVERY quarter, they build cars for overseas deliveries so they can hopefully get them shipped to their destination and delivered for that quarter.

The reason why 100D & P100D might be late December is perhaps things are being batched differently at the factory. Tesla trying to push the more expensive battery, or what I think everyone is heard is that the 75D slots have all been filled for the year.

Thanks Erik

Maybe something will come up at the semi event, IDK. But the February date is normal for US orders at this time. The first month of EVERY quarter, they build cars for overseas deliveries so they can hopefully get them shipped to their destination and delivered for that quarter.

The reason why 100D & P100D might be late December is perhaps things are being batched differently at the factory. Tesla trying to push the more expensive battery, or what I think everyone is heard is that the 75D slots have all been filled for the year.

Thanks Erik

When I ordered on Oct 10 (in the UK) my delivery was showing end of Dec. A week or so later it changed to end of Feb / early March. I hope something gets upgraded or I will have been waiting for my S to arrive for over 4 months for no gain :)

New custom order deliveries start in Feb. Looks like there is something going on in January.

I still think we are just seeing year end sales figure manipulation. As we have reached a point where the build slots that could result in a delivery before year end are full, they push the delivery date on new orders back and try to convert people to inventory cars which up until now were being reported by many Tesla staff as 'locked' but now will suddenly become saleable...

Soon as that inventory is cleared or we get to the year end you'll see those February/March dates getting moved up I suspect...

Reactions: gowthamn and JonG
We're getting fixated about the lead time but the factory is still making cars, it has to be. If the production numbers drop for the MS and MX in Q4 coupled with the slow production ramp up of the M3 then Tesla will be in big trouble. The face of the MS and MX is also only 2 years old and in keeping with the M3 so I can't see it being the exterior. The oldest part of the design is the MS interior, but even thats had new seats, centre console added etc. I've said it before, some of the MX features put into the MS like door bins, maybe self opening doors, I can see, it also adds something to the premium feel over the M3. IAt a push they may upgrade the graphics. Tesla have also never had a problem just doing it, like they did rolling out ludicrous, P100D, face lift, AP2 etc.

I'm sure that is true, but Tesla, and for that matter the rest of the EV industry, will have to deal with the 'elephant in the room' at some point soon as the 1st generation cars get to the point where battery failures are outside the warranty...
It's an interesting question, my guess is the "industry" has looked at this as 10 years out the cars will be demoted from primary vehicles to cheap local use vehicles.

Even if a decade old Model S struggled to do the range of a current Leaf, it may be worth a few thousand dollars because it still has some utility, leading to a probable reasonable market value Vs a new pack.

Crashed/damaged cars can then pick up the slack in used packs, for cars that have complete failure (i.e. 0miles remaining range)

Me too (and I think getting free supercharging upon ordering is until 31 Jan 2018, no?).

And I also can't imagine Tesla can keep it a secret very long that the M3 is in many ways (probably) better than the MS (driving dynamics, range, quietness, speed of the UI and navigation - just listen to the last The Tesla Show podcast, if you have the patience). So there should be something coming up for Model S, I wishfully think :).

Reactions: gene
I can't help feeling that it would be insanity for Tesla to put resources into an MS refresh while at the same time they are struggling to get M3 on track and have cut back MS production as part of the route to solving the problem...

M3 could indeed have many great improvements over MS, but while it is still a 12-18 month lead time for a new M3 order it isn't going to have much direct impact on MS sales.

... and FWIW, coat hooks and door-bins don't really move the needle for me... :)

I can't help feeling that it would be insanity for Tesla to put resources into an MS refresh while at the same time they are struggling to get M3 on track and have cut back MS production as part of the route to solving the problem...

Insanity if freely undertaken maybe, but it looks clear they have to do something for the S for the Chinese market anyway (the new dual ports there need sheet metal changes, period).

And it didn’t happen...

I'm confident something will... I ordered on October the 10th and my delivery could be as late as early March. So possibly a 5 month wait. Firstly, Tesla will be well aware that that is a substantial time to wait for a car and secondly, they wouldn't make us wait that long without a reason. My hopes are on a battery upgrade. Have a feeling Tesla's hopes were too. Until they realised that the battery production line was having a massive problem. Jon Wagner leaves and Tesla buys Perbix to try and fix the nightmare they now face. Namely very slow battery production for model 3 and possibly secret 2170 upgraded batteries for the S and the X (which may have been in the works for a while). So the lineup would look like Model 3 - 75kw, Model S and X - 100 and 125kw (or maybe even 150kw), Roadster 2 - 200kw.

The problem now is can they sort out the production bottleneck possibly facing even more delay to Model 3, S and X orders, or do they fall back on bumped 18650 batteries, such as 85kw and 110kw. This is unfortunately most likely IMO.

This may be sleep deprived ramblings (4 hours sleep after last nights shenanigans) but I've been kind of mulling this over for a while and it seems to make sense. To me anyway :)

So how long will this thread continue? It started in July. It's now November. Define imminent? Tesla improves things every 2 weeks, so I guess it already happened. If you're thinking some major change, maybe stuff from Model 3 - new battery technology, new IVI, coat hooks, illuminated vanity mirrors? Those will come once Tesla figures out their production issues with Model 3, some possibly earlier but not likely before end of the year as they would jeopardize quarterly and annual numbers if people were cancelling in order to get better battery, IVI, or vanity mirrors (after the failed "please don't cancel your P90DL, we'll upgrade you to P100DL soon" promise people are not going to believe any "please don't cancel your 2017 order, we'll retrofit you in 2018" promises).

So how long will this thread continue? It started in July. It's now November. Define imminent? Tesla improves things every 2 weeks, so I guess it already happened. If you're thinking some major change, maybe stuff from Model 3 - new battery technology, new IVI, coat hooks, illuminated vanity mirrors? Those will come once Tesla figures out their production issues with Model 3, some possibly earlier but not likely before end of the year as they would jeopardize quarterly and annual numbers if people were cancelling in order to get better battery, IVI, or vanity mirrors (after the failed "please don't cancel your P90DL, we'll upgrade you to P100DL soon" promise people are not going to believe any "please don't cancel your 2017 order, we'll retrofit you in 2018" promises).

Eventually it will be correct! And yes... I agree. We won't see a new interior until summer. They need to sort out the M3 issues first, and will have few people to devote to S/X line upgrades.

Reactions: smac
Status
Not open for further replies.