Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks AR.

To be honest it was a bit of a surprise to me too. I think I fell into the trap of discounting the i8 at launch based purely on the headline specs (which compared to even the P85 at the time seemed a bit underwhelming). I also wasn't a big fan of the blue flashes and stuff all over it, trying too hard to make itself out to be an EV, and nudging it a little into the weirdmobile scale for my tastes. I've managed to find one that has no such nonsense and painted in one solid colour. It looks far more "normal" as a result. Went to look at it on a whim, then took it for some extended test drives, and fell for it's charms.

Whether it's a short period of ownership, and I trade it in against the Jag, or I end up keeping it as an investment piece given it is almost certain to be a future classic (name another carbon fibre car with dihedral doors produced in limited numbers that hasn't gone that way!)... I guess time will tell.

I will still have fond memories of the S, but fancied a change, and the timing just felt right.

Which ones? I pretty much exclusively use the steering wheel controls nowadays (the single biggest exception being the heated seat controls). I view the large screen as a little more than a conversation piece and bling to lift the otherwise run of the mill cabin. Days will pass by where I don't even touch it.

FWIW I'm just trading in my S in for an i8 (lightly used example that I got for a reasonable price in light of the convertible one just announced). I figured even if they don't announce an improvement in the current S, the launch of the Model 3 is really going to hurt the residual value of my pre-AP car, the BMW just by virtue of being more exotic should do better in the long run.

My 12 mile round trip commute in start stop city traffic is easily done on EV, so for my use (<21k miles in 3.5 years), it seems crazy to be lugging round all those batteries I never use. Clearly it wouldn't work for the majority of people as they'll be using the ICE, but for me it works.

My initial experience on the few hours I've spent in the BMW on extended test drives is the interior materials improvement is vast over the Tesla, even if it is a little "fussy" in design. It's the first car I've driven with a HUD and I can't understate how good it is, at first old habits get you looking down at the dash, but once you get used to it I don't think you'd ever want to go back. Also loved the surround view.

What really surprised me was how much quieter the i8 is than my Model S, especially over poor road surfaces. (Obviously in EV mode).

Will I go back to Tesla? I guess I'll wait and see how accurate the Roadster 2 specs are. I'm particularly sceptical on the 250mph claim and delivery times (esp. here in the UK). To be completely honest I'm not that fussed about the 0-60 times, I'd be happier with a lighter car, with smaller batteries which in turn leads to less embodied and in-use energy penalty. I hope Tesla offer multiple versions, with one being a much smaller pack, say the original Roadster with the upgraded pack + Supercharging would be more than ample, and a darn sight more environmentally friendly!!!
Having experienced the i8 several times and owned an i3 all I can say is good luck, you will need it....

Reactions: bhzmark
I do believe something is coming soon. Tesla need really set apart the Model S to the Model 3 and I feel at the moment there is not a significant difference between the two

The most obvious and significant difference is you can order an S without an 18 month wait...

They don’t really need to worry about further differentiation much before next summer...

They don’t really need to worry about further differentiation much before next summer...

Even in the UK, where we are going to have an extended wait, I'm not 100% sure that's true. People who are on the fence between the S and the 3, will still need something to convince them to buy now rather than postpone a decision.

Momentum in the sales process is still important. We saw a glimpse of this like when the D cars were announced, Tesla UK really struggled to convince people to commit to the RWD cars when they saw the shiny new object on the horizon, this was reflected in the registration figures which went into a serious lull in the time between the P85D reveal and the first RHD AWD cars.

In our family, we won't buy a new S until the B-post seatbelt anchor is adjustable like the X and 3. It is not a small thing if the belt chafes on long trips. Perhaps oddly, we would actually prefer to NOT have the new center console. We like the unconfigured space between the seats. Door pockets would be nice though.

Reactions: smac
Perhaps oddly, we would actually prefer to NOT have the new center console. We like the unconfigured space between the seats
Not odd in the slightest. I really dislike the center console in the current S/X and strongly prefer the open yacht floor storage area in my S. Even when I was sitting in a Model 3 last month, I found myself poking at the center console trying to determine which parts I could rip out to create a similarly useful space between the seats in that car.

I've got a fair few i3 owning friends, and truth be told their experience in service and need for warranty repairs actually makes me quite envious :(

Again YMMV, especially if you aren't having to deal with the sub par UK Service Centres.
I knew what I was getting into when I got the i3 quality wise but somehow I expected better service from the local BMW dealer. I still have the service manager’s number in my phone because a call to him was required with every trip to the dealer to actually get something fixed. At least with Tesla, they do a better job is making it look like they care. Then again, I have not had to visit them with near the frequency I did with the BMW.

Not odd in the slightest. I really dislike the center console in the current S/X and strongly prefer the open yacht floor storage area in my S.

Totally agree! I love the yacht floor in my 3/2015 P85D. I may be a luddite, but I also like its AP1, its HID headlights, its 80 amp dual chargers, its leather upholstery, and frankly its old nose, although reasonable people may differ on that one. Even so, I'm sure Tesla will eventually come up with a great new version of the MS that blows mine away.

Reactions: EternalChampion
Not odd in the slightest. I really dislike the center console in the current S/X and strongly prefer the open yacht floor storage area in my S. Even when I was sitting in a Model 3 last month, I found myself poking at the center console trying to determine which parts I could rip out to create a similarly useful space between the seats in that car.

Another fan of the open space here!

It was also extremely useful when my drivers door handle stopped working and I had to clamber in through the passenger side whilst waiting weeks for it to get fixed!!! :eek:

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
Which ones? I pretty much exclusively use the steering wheel controls nowadays (the single biggest exception being the heated seat controls). I view the large screen as a little more than a conversation piece and bling to lift the otherwise run of the mill cabin. Days will pass by where I don't even touch it.

FWIW I'm just trading in my S in for an i8 (lightly used example that I got for a reasonable price in light of the convertible one just announced). I figured even if they don't announce an improvement in the current S, the launch of the Model 3 is really going to hurt the residual value of my pre-AP car, the BMW just by virtue of being more exotic should do better in the long run.
I have owned a number of exotics over the years and the value of the i8 will drop faster than the Model S.
Otherwise, the i8 is a good looking vehicle and will be fun until the new Roadster arrives in a few years. :cool:
BMW i8 - Wikipedia
The BMW i8 is a plug-in hybrid sports car developed by BMW. The i8 is part of BMW's electric fleet "Project i" being marketed as a new sub-brand, BMW i. Under the United States Environmental Protection Agency cycle, the range in EV mode is 24 km (15 mi) with a small amount of gasoline consumption. The BMW i8 can go from 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 4.4 seconds and has an electronic limited top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

Last edited:
Reactions: smac
@FlatSix911 I'm hoping it's like some of the Lotus's I've owned over the years. Big initial hit (which in this case the previous owner took the brunt of), before plateauing out. In depreciation terms to date my Model S has done really well at a good chunk more than 50% retained value at 3 years, but I am expecting a sharp drop once it fell out of bumper to bumper warranty in 6 months time, and more and more examples start becoming available here as supply increase with off lease cars as we past the typical 3 year finance terms.

In some ways it's what is appealing to me with the i8. A few of my friends have bought stuff like Mclarens and Ferraris (which I have been tempted by too) but I keep coming back to the problem I like driving too much to maintain their value by having them as garage queens. Fingers crossed the Mini and i3 derived oily bits plus decent service intervals mean it won't bankrupt me in running costs using it as a car not an ornament :).

It will certainly be interesting to see how the market develops. For both the S and the i8. In the _very_ long term (so 10-15 years out) my prediction is we start seeing appreciation on the i8, but the Model S's (particularly non P's) will return to trend for big sedans and eventually go to the big parking lot in the sky.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Perhaps oddly, we would actually prefer to NOT have the new center console. We like the unconfigured space between the seats. Door pockets would be nice though.
Not odd, my wife and I loved the open space. Lunchbox, purse, a huge winter jacket, it swallowed it all. Also, the car felt more spacious with that open space. I hope we get it back in a refreshed S. Or what do you think of a bench like an old Cadillac so you can sit three upfront in a pinch? I liked those. A refreshed S might actually coincide with the real full self driving ability. In that case there is no real reason to have different config in 1st and 2nd row, or? Steering wheel for the times that you use it, could be in the middle for ultimate control, with one Model 3 screen on either side, like in Tesla Semi. Ultimate Luxury version could have three separate executive style front seats with massage and everything else, slightly offset for and aft so you don't have to rub shulders

Last edited:
Regarding the i8 I could never see going back to any gasoline powered vehicle including hybrids.
Don't get me wrong I'd rather much greater EV range, and the engine was more REX than a conventional power train (in lieu of Supercharging, but there are pros and cons to both approaches).

There just isn't anything else on the market that appeals right now. Maybe the Roadster 2.0, but I'll wait to see if the specs, price and timescales happen as promised before placing an order. (Past experience for UK experience is coloring my judgement on this front.)

Anyway. Rather than this be a debate about the i8, I guess it just adds some colour to this thread regarding the reasons Tesla may wish to do something to the S to prevent others like myself leaving the brand.

@smac isn't alone. Some of us are used to moving between cars quite often and finding new things to excite us. It is a dynamic the old manufacturers are experts in. Soon after we've gotten our new car, they already have something completely different in the pipeline to excite us...

For a time it has been very hard to reconcile that feel with the EV passion. Buy a new Model S with incremental changes? Not much different to the old one.

If it hadn't been for the Model X (I know @smac does not like it but I do) I might well be queueing for the new Audi A8 by now. Another Model S with mere incremental changes? Meh...

That's why stuff like the I-Pace is so interesting. It allows reconciling the passion for EVs and passion for cars and new experiences in general.

The new Roadster looks great too. Too bad it is 2020.

Reactions: CarbonFree and smac
That's why stuff like the I-Pace is so interesting. It allows reconciling the passion for EVs and passion for cars and new experiences in general.
I just looked at its website .. the I-Pace does have a pretty interior, particularly looking at the rear seats, assuming that is actually what the production model will look like. Much nicer than the S or X interior in the rear, in my opinion, although Tesla's minimalism has a cleaner look from the front seat. I think the I-Pace exterior is better than the X, but then I don't love the X. Also, the angularity of the I-Pace doesn't seem to go with the notion of low-Cd electric cars, even if it is in fact low Cd. I like the MS exterior much more, but then I'm comparing apples (a crossover SUV) with oranges (a low, sleek, liftback sedan). I'm surprised Jaguar didn't do the exterior better, but that's because I have high expectations of Jaguar: I love the F-Type coupe. Technologically, the I-Pace seems interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.