Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has feature S does not:

- Doorpockets
- Seatpockets
- Armrest in back seats
- Dual Phone charger
- Hooks for clothes

Console has more space

Vents, wheel and mirrors are adjusted from screen.

Alcantara or similar on doors.

With the exception of the two screens, 3 seems better to me.
S interior is 5 years. Starting to look dated.
3 is much more modern.

I agree with this. I've had my P90D for 2 years now, after driving S class Mercedes for 20 years. For a $120,000 car, the interior is spartan, and it didn't come with a center console -- I had to buy that separately via their on-line store and have them install it. For a 4 door sedan in that price range to still not have coat hooks, especially after all the customer complaints over 2+ years, is inexcusable.

Driving the P90D has been interesting, but when my lease is up, I'm going back to Mercedes.

pdq

For a 4 door sedan in that price range to still not have coat hooks, especially after all the customer complaints over 2+ years, is inexcusable.

I suspect we are all going to have to agree to differ on the 'coat hook' question...

I've had them in pretty much every car over many years now and never found them to be useful, as I much prefer to maintain visibility on all sides, so no hooks is a good thing for me at least.

...Illuminated vanity mirrors on the other-hand are an issue for me only to the extent that it is an issue for my wife :)

• Funny
Reactions: sitter_k
I suspect we are all going to have to agree to differ on the 'coat hook' question...

I've had them in pretty much every car over many years now and never found them to be useful, as I much prefer to maintain visibility on all sides, so no hooks is a good thing for me at least.

...Illuminated vanity mirrors on the other-hand are an issue for me only to the extent that it is an issue for my wife :)

I find it absolutely insane how much people complain about the lack of coat hooks and other small items. It's to the point that Model 3 fanatics will trumpet their inclusion as if they are some kind of revolution. Surely Tesla owners can spend a few minutes and a couple of bucks to order some aftermarket ones, if they truly have a need?

Seatback Coat Hooks for Tesla Model S 2017+

I find it absolutely insane how much people complain about the lack of coat hooks and other small items. It's to the point that Model 3 fanatics will trumpet their inclusion as if they are some kind of revolution. Surely Tesla owners can spend a few minutes and a couple of bucks to order some aftermarket ones, if they truly have a need?

Seatback Coat Hooks for Tesla Model S 2017+

Indeed--I think in viewing one's Tesla as a kit car is probably the best approach.

Not sure to completely understand the implications: would that mean existing cars could technically be upgraded in the future? or is it too heavy a modification, meaning only newly produced cars could get such increase capacities?

I am hoping they would propose a capacity upgrade for my MX75D: getting the 90 or 100 would have been a better idea when I ordered... but no travelling back in time :)

I agree with this. I've had my P90D for 2 years now, after driving S class Mercedes for 20 years. For a $120,000 car, the interior is spartan, and it didn't come with a center console -- I had to buy that separately via their on-line store and have them install it. For a 4 door sedan in that price range to still not have coat hooks, especially after all the customer complaints over 2+ years, is inexcusable. Driving the P90D has been interesting, but when my lease is up, I'm going back to Mercedes.
pdq
Good grief ... you are going back to an ICE MB due to a lack of a center console & coat hooks? Good luck with that twisted logic... :cool:

Last edited:
I agree with this. I've had my P90D for 2 years now, after driving S class Mercedes for 20 years. For a $120,000 car, the interior is spartan, and it didn't come with a center console -- I had to buy that separately via their on-line store and have them install it. For a 4 door sedan in that price range to still not have coat hooks, especially after all the customer complaints over 2+ years, is inexcusable.

Driving the P90D has been interesting, but when my lease is up, I'm going back to Mercedes.

pdq
booooooooooooooooooooooo

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn and Blup85
Coat hooks. Had to check if our current cars had them. Seems they do. Never used them, preferring to use the windows to see out of. I vaguely remember seat-back coat hangers being available as a cost-option. Not something I’d ever need.

Lit vanity mirrors are handy, occasionally. Can’t say I’d prefer them over an awesome electric drive train.

Not sure what I’d really want adding to the Model S to make it comparable to luxury cars. I don’t want button clutter, door bins are handy but get filled with junk. Maybe higher-rated USB sockets and a Qi charger?

Looking forward to getting my 75D as it comes. Though that looks like next late Feb/early mar or so.

Reactions: Ross9733
Massaging seats would be nice.

I like the old school coat hooks that work great with the pano, although I don’t know If they’ll work with the glass roof.

Make the yacht floor an option, with matching wood as it used to be. So easy to add mesh trays for long trips. Such a differentiator that highlights the lack of a hump. Notre Dame this car ain’t

Am *not* a center console fan.

Let’s see...

A larger microfrunk would be nice. One that might actually hold a set of golf clubs in a Model S.

Audio management ffs.

A web browser that works (again, ffs) at least well enough to facilitate a complete Design Studio session.

In car WiFi hotspot.
360 degree view

Glass breakage sensors

A pair of 12V ports aft that are *un*switched.

I’m just getting started. This would be a very long list after adding HUD, SHUD, and enhanced valet mode (e.g. proximity-triggered custom messaging, Ring doorbell-like functionality).

pdq
Many of us feel the same way, but don't expect to find that opinion welcome here.

I remember when I installed the center console on my model S I was excoriated here as polluting the superior spartan clean design of the car. Shortly thereafter, Tesla included them standard, no doubt due to popular demand.

I'm holding off to see the model S revision but if the interior is not at least as nice as a $30k Camry I'll shop elsewhere. I gave them a pass on the interior first time because I wanted to support the company and their great powertrain, but they have to play head to head with the price competition at this point.

It’s funny, people getting into my Model S always say, “Gorgeous car”, or something to that effect. I’ve yet to hear anyone ask, “Does it have coat hooks or a lighted vanity mirror?”. And I’ve had Mercedes and BMW owners in the car. They’re all impressed.

I don’t believe anyone walks away thinking, “Wow, that sure doesn’t look like a luxury car”.

It’s funny, people getting into my Model S always say, “Gorgeous car”, or something to that effect. I’ve yet to hear anyone ask, “Does it have coat hooks or a lighted vanity mirror?”. And I’ve had Mercedes and BMW owners in the car. They’re all impressed.

Tesla is a showy car for sure. But what it lacks comes apparent over time and use, not on a quick ride in your friend's car - some things it lacks definitely surprise people once they find out.

For many drivers, especially over time, practicalities definitely start playing a role. Gorgeousness fades, but the coat still has to go somewhere. :)

So if Tesla can squeeze, through packaging or chemistry, a 200 kWh battery into a car with the form factor of the new roadster, then they can squeeze that same capacity into a car with the larger form factor if the Model S. So there might not be a big MS range upgrade around the corner, but an upgrade to greater than 600 miles range is visible a couple or three years down the road. That would entice me into replacing my current MS, which I love.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm confident something will... I ordered on October the 10th and my delivery could be as late as early March. So possibly a 5 month wait. Firstly, Tesla will be well aware that that is a substantial time to wait for a car and secondly, they wouldn't make us wait that long without a reason. My hopes are on a battery upgrade. Have a feeling Tesla's hopes were too. Until they realised that the battery production line was having a massive problem. Jon Wagner leaves and Tesla buys Perbix to try and fix the nightmare they now face. Namely very slow battery production for model 3 and possibly secret 2170 upgraded batteries for the S and the X (which may have been in the works for a while). So the lineup would look like Model 3 - 75kw, Model S and X - 100 and 125kw (or maybe even 150kw), Roadster 2 - 200kw.

The problem now is can they sort out the production bottleneck possibly facing even more delay to Model 3, S and X orders, or do they fall back on bumped 18650 batteries, such as 85kw and 110kw. This is unfortunately most likely IMO.

This may be sleep deprived ramblings (4 hours sleep after last nights shenanigans) but I've been kind of mulling this over for a while and it seems to make sense. To me anyway :)

It’s interesting your delivery date is Early March 2018 when you ordered October 10th. I ordered October 30th and my delivery is December to early January. So confusing.

It’s interesting your delivery date is Early March 2018 when you ordered October 10th. I ordered October 30th and my delivery is December to early January. So confusing.

Like myself, @unbelievable is in the UK. I’ve heard that cars are built for overseas delivery during the 1st month of each quarter (to allow time for shipping and delivery before quarter end). Looks like the 10th Oct order missed the Oct build for UK spec cars, so now has to wait until the Jan build slots + 60 day shipping to the UK via NL.

It's been over a year since tesla announced 100kwh battery and Autio Pilot 2.0.

I do believe something is coming soon. Tesla need really set apart the Model S to the Model 3 and I feel at the moment there is not a significant difference between the two.

I am sure someone knows something, but it's just annoying they don't tell customer until it's actually on offer. I'm ordering a new model S but delaying delivery until April 2017 (I live in the U.K.)

Like myself, @unbelievable is in the UK. I’ve heard that cars are built for overseas delivery during the 1st month of each quarter (to allow time for shipping and delivery before quarter end). Looks like the 10th Oct order missed the Oct build for UK spec cars, so now has to wait until the Jan build slots + 60 day shipping to the UK via NL.

Indeed, that's the way it goes for Europe in general.

RHD drive vehicles might also be subject to further batching delays?

X wishlist: A better blind spot indicator would be nice, as well as Car Play support, or even decent USB iPhone support. A touchscreen UI that's not slower than molasses, grab handles, more comfortable seats, adjustments to common controls that don't require taking your eyes from the screen, a less fatiguing and lower center console armrest (preferably adjustable) a less reflective dash surface in bright sunlight. An LCD built into the rear view mirror (like the Bolt). Surround view. Airflow seats that actually worked. Massage seats. Faster and better voice control.

• Love
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
...adjustments to common controls that don't require taking your eyes from the screen...

Which ones? I pretty much exclusively use the steering wheel controls nowadays (the single biggest exception being the heated seat controls). I view the large screen as a little more than a conversation piece and bling to lift the otherwise run of the mill cabin. Days will pass by where I don't even touch it.

FWIW I'm just trading in my S in for an i8 (lightly used example that I got for a reasonable price in light of the convertible one just announced). I figured even if they don't announce an improvement in the current S, the launch of the Model 3 is really going to hurt the residual value of my pre-AP car, the BMW just by virtue of being more exotic should do better in the long run.

My 12 mile round trip commute in start stop city traffic is easily done on EV, so for my use (<21k miles in 3.5 years), it seems crazy to be lugging round all those batteries I never use. Clearly it wouldn't work for the majority of people as they'll be using the ICE, but for me it works.

My initial experience on the few hours I've spent in the BMW on extended test drives is the interior materials improvement is vast over the Tesla, even if it is a little "fussy" in design. It's the first car I've driven with a HUD and I can't understate how good it is, at first old habits get you looking down at the dash, but once you get used to it I don't think you'd ever want to go back. Also loved the surround view.

What really surprised me was how much quieter the i8 is than my Model S, especially over poor road surfaces. (Obviously in EV mode).

Will I go back to Tesla? I guess I'll wait and see how accurate the Roadster 2 specs are. I'm particularly sceptical on the 250mph claim and delivery times (esp. here in the UK). To be completely honest I'm not that fussed about the 0-60 times, I'd be happier with a lighter car, with smaller batteries which in turn leads to less embodied and in-use energy penalty. I hope Tesla offer multiple versions, with one being a much smaller pack, say the original Roadster with the upgraded pack + Supercharging would be more than ample, and a darn sight more environmentally friendly!!!

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Status
Not open for further replies.