Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they are developing and road testing in China free from prying eyes, I do not see how this will be a major change from the 8 year platform other than some new front and rear caps and upgraded interior. Which costs relatively little money. Starting to think with model S and 3 being similar in size, the new Plaid debuting later next year will be the defacto new Model S going forward, sharing the chassis with the new Roadster (sharing platforms reduces cost and speeds up product development, look at the Model Y). I would take all statements in the past about Plaid with a grain of salt. Doesn't have to be an AMG like track type of car. Just a way batter than the competition model S.

I have always thought any " new" Model S/X would use the 3/Y platform. With the new Y platform debuting at Berlin with, that still may be the case. Tesla has never replaced a present product with a new one before, so this should be interesting.

Reactions: Hank42
Unless they are developing and road testing in China free from prying eyes, I do not see how this will be a major change from the 8 year platform other than some new front and rear caps and upgraded interior. Which costs relatively little money. Starting to think with model S and 3 being similar in size, the new Plaid debuting later next year will be the defacto new Model S going forward, sharing the chassis with the new Roadster (sharing platforms reduces cost and speeds up product development, look at the Model Y). I would take all statements in the past about Plaid with a grain of salt. Doesn't have to be an AMG like track type of car. Just a way batter than the competition model S.

I have always thought any " new" Model S/X would use the 3/Y platform. With the new Y platform debuting at Berlin with, that still may be the case. Tesla has never replaced a present product with a new one before, so this should be interesting.

The dimensions of the Roadster (from estimates) is almost the same as the Model 3 which tells me the Roadster is built on the 3/Y platform which makes sense. I would not be surprised if they come out with a new design Model S that is built on a stretched and possibly widened Model 3/Y platform. Tesla is redesigning the platform for the Model Y now to reduce the number of parts and accommodate the new battery pack, while they are at the drawing board it wouldn't be too tough to design in some expansion points where pieces can be added to stretch and widen the platform for a new S and possibly X design.

The more parts they can share across the cars the cheaper all the cars are to make.

The dimensions of the Roadster (from estimates) is almost the same as the Model 3 which tells me the Roadster is built on the 3/Y platform which makes sense. I would not be surprised if they come out with a new design Model S that is built on a stretched and possibly widened Model 3/Y platform. Tesla is redesigning the platform for the Model Y now to reduce the number of parts and accommodate the new battery pack, while they are at the drawing board it wouldn't be too tough to design in some expansion points where pieces can be added to stretch and widen the platform for a new S and possibly X design.

The more parts they can share across the cars the cheaper all the cars are to make.

It seems that it would be a whole new platform with the pack becoming structural part of the chassis

Making the battery pack part of the structure is a game changer for production. With a super firm center section they can simply bolt on a cast front and rear structure to hold suspension and power train. Tremendous flexibility to roll out different wheel bases and widths. Use aluminum components for lower production premium vehicles and steel for higher production mass market versions.

I am not of the opinion that the Model S/X "need" all new remodel. They still look great and still look better than what the competition is putting out. The interior could be inexpensively and profitably offer an updated premium version. Probably first roll out with the PLAID edition, then become available in the base version as well.

With over 400 miles of range, relatively quick charging on long trips and still providing comfortable elegant personal transportation, at reasonable costs, the S and X could still have lots of buyers.

I still feel like a lucky guy, everything I get in my X. It is remarkable transportation. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and very capable. Last week I was able to do some mild off roading and it was far superior to my previous Grand Cherokees in that respect.
Able to charge off my solar system gives meaning to "Running on Sunshine".

Of course it is not a perfect car, as others seem to point out with glee, but overall it is a far better solution for getting around than driving a gasser.

I still feel like a lucky guy, everything I get in my X. It is remarkable transportation. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and very capable. Last week I was able to do some mild off roading and it was far superior to my previous Grand Cherokees in that respect.

Had a chance to compare ground clearance on a loaner MX, with a Jeep Grand Cherokee that came to visit and split it's transfer case in my driveway.

The only thing comparable is the ground clearance, the same at 9" when the MX is set to high.

Love my MS, but will look at 2019 MX used if the CT does not arrive in '22.

Reactions: SmartElectric
This may be an unpopular thought, but if you extrapolate the refreshes and update quality of late, I really don't see anything but minor changes.

If Elon thinks the MS and MX are "Dessert", how much effort will be put into refreshes, plaid or roadster?

First priority seems to be pleaseing Wall Street, second building GF's, third maybe tie for FSD and CT.

Best course of action is to enjoy what you have.

Reactions: Nosken
This may be an unpopular thought, but if you extrapolate the refreshes and update quality of late, I really don't see anything but minor changes.

If Elon thinks the MS and MX are "Dessert", how much effort will be put into refreshes, plaid or roadster?

First priority seems to be pleaseing Wall Street, second building GF's, third maybe tie for FSD and CT.

Best course of action is to enjoy what you have.

I think you’re right, but they’ve also got to do SOMETHING to keep sales at a reasonable level given the immense real estate devoted to the S/X lines in Fremont, else do away with them entirely.

I’m expecting mostly interior changes. Throw in some blacked out chrome and new wheel choices as a bonus.

Unless they are developing and road testing in China free from prying eyes, I do not see how this will be a major change from the 8 year platform other than some new front and rear caps and upgraded interior.

Maybe they are testing in the tunnel.

Does not look wider. The rear wheel track maybe wider but the body is not.

The changes are very subtle, like quarter of an inch, it's being discussed here: Refreshed S in the wild photos.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Status
Not open for further replies.