Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We might get a new thread with "Model S EXTERIOR update imminent?". Of course, the new rear diffuser is a new exterior (yeah, right!).

Now, let's hope for some good stuff later today, I want to be convinced to upgrade my P85DL... It's a great car, so needs to be something special for it to be worthwhile!

Reactions: boonedocks
If a refresh was happening, wouldn’t they have updated the online studio by now to encourage people to order? I’m not seeing why they wound coincide the re-opening of the production line with the website.

Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see this thing happening in Q1.

If a refresh was happening, wouldn’t they have updated the online studio by now to encourage people to order? I’m not seeing why they wound coincide the re-opening of the production line with the website.

Tesla always bungles the website update after the cars are out and sometimes already delivered. "We make all software inhouse." You can't measure panel gaps on their code, but ...

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG

Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see this thing happening in Q1.
First cars produced should be for Europe where, according to a german forum, they try to sell inventory still. They even call people that have been interested before and offer discounts or trade ins.

Maybe sell these cars before officially announce an update. Give the sales 4, 5 days... to get rid of what's still thee.

First cars produced should be for Europe where, according to a german forum, they try to sell inventory still. They even call people that have been interested before and offer discounts or trade ins.

Maybe sell these cars before officially announce an update. Give the sales 4, 5 days... to get rid of what's still thee.

Don't they have a price increase for Europe on the S?

Definitely not expecting 4680. Too early. That will come with Plaid
Should (?) the Plaid version be able to keep the current "skateboard" chassis which is often display in some Tesla showrooms,
by replacing the 18650 cells of the 100 kWh with the 4680,

or should (?) the Plaid version require a completely new chassis based on the front and rear casting frame of the Model Y,
and a new mono block central area with 4680, as explained by Sandy Munro.

In the second case, even if the body panels didn't get modified,
this would be however a completely new car requiring new safety crash validation.

Don't they have a price increase for Europe on the S?
Yes they have done that, for new orders. LR+ and the corresponding Performance, very few of which have been delivered over the pond.

The inventory mostly consists of LR (without the +, less range). For these, you get a rebate off the old price, so you save more than the 5000 increase. In my country, there are about 2 Model S left, with few months of showroom usage, I think.

• Helpful
Reactions: Epastor01
Should (?) the Plaid version be able to keep the current "skateboard" chassis which is often display in some Tesla showrooms,
by replacing the 18650 cells of the 100 kWh with the 4680,

or should (?) the Plaid version require a completely new chassis based on the front and rear casting frame of the Model Y,
and a new mono block central area with 4680, as explained by Sandy Munro.

In the second case, even if the body panels didn't get modified,
this would be however a completely new car requiring new safety crash validation.

That is the question, isn't? My opinion a new interior for the S/X. The ROI is not there for a new S/X chassis when there are more pressing projects like the CT and upcoming $25K car. On the other hand the Roadster, if legit will require a platform, may be a modified 3/Y platform or a brand new one in which case the Plaid just may be a four door Roadster ( I am leaning toward this idea). With the latest chassis tech, the Plaid will be worth its higher price.

That is the question, isn't? My opinion a new interior for the S/X...

As one with a MS on order, that would be fine with me. The exterior is still classic - like the Porsche 911. A certain nostalgia in that. And as a first-time EV buyer, more range would certainly be welcomed. Mid 400's per tank/charge is what I am accustomed to with ICE.

OTOH, the interior is where the update is sorely needed. The current MS is nice yes, but on par (barely) with a high-trim level Honda or Toyota.

First cars produced should be for Europe where, according to a german forum, they try to sell inventory still.
They even call people that have been interested before and offer discounts or trade ins.
Don't forget that the Model S/X sold in Europe are mules (if still the case) without battery and power train
and get a final assembly in Tilburg, in the Netherlands.

Those cars must be easy to spot as they then be located on the lower level of a transport truck to the harbor or freight train station.

From the outside there might be a different rear diffuser, chrome delete, wheels, horizontal display on the dash board...

An other change for Europe would be to include an additional charging door, like the one exported to China, but to support the CCS 2 plug?

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Don't forget that the Model S/X sold in Europe are mules (if still the case) without battery and power train
and get a final assembly in Tilburg, in the Netherlands.

Those cars must be easy to spot as they then be located on the lower level of a transport truck to the harbor or freight train station.

There is varying information about this, like S / X used to be shipped in containers via rail to Houston and then required reassembly in Tilburg in Holland before being delivered to the UK, however it now looks as though they are shipped complete along with the Model 3s, however more recently Model S/X via container ship to Europe and Both Model S and X are shipped partly assembled in containers (3 to a container).

All this would seem to indicate it is NOT easy to spot such deltails from within the container, without having access to the inside of the container.

So the dummy Model S/X get loaded on a truck at the factory,
may be they have a different rear license holder for the European market,
making them easy to identify when parked or transported before shipping.

And the reverse in Tilburg, the Model S/X should be stored on a parking lot before and after been completely assembled?

Status
Not open for further replies.