Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid S in the wild photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesnt seem wider but maybe?

That rear diffuser reminds me of the Honda Civic SI. Just missing the center exhaust.

2019-honda-civic-si-coupe-rear-bumper-closeup-carbuzz-479123.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I dunno. I’ve been squinting at these pics and the ones I snapped of my own car, focusing on the areas you describe, and they look the same to me. Lighting is different, but measurements wise they look spot on.
Rear quarters are definitely wider, look at the charge port to the outside of the quarter and also look at the line of the bumper cover where it attaches to the quarter. The total rear width is likely 3-4 inches wider than the stock S.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd and outdoors
Interesting comparison, and I appreciate the effort.

Still though, all I’m really seeing are bigger/wider wheels and tires (my car is on 245/19s). The fender difference all looks like mostly mismatched angles to me - you can tell by the mirror alignment that I wasn’t quite on the mark.

If it’s indeed different, seems super subtle to me. Maybe that’s the point.

All the mismatches you see are because you took the photo from higher point than the driver behind that prototype... I have had some experience on photography and have not “photoshopped” it to look wider. I only lined up the lines of the tailgate to fit two photos together.
exactly exact dimensions impossible to know with this. Same methods they do to film Tom Cruise

Fender flares, rear bumper styled like the Y, black trim.

I mean, I guess that does qualify as a refresh, though after 8 years of identical interior and exterior sans the front bumper and headlights, it's starting to feel a bit lazy. Maybe that's to be expected, though, since the Y and X are just their sedan counterparts stretched vertically. Here's to hoping there's at least a nicer interior.

FYI, with just a 1 inch fender flare on each side, the Model S will as wide as Ford F150. I like the look of fender flares, but just throwing that out there.

Here's a comparison with both cars in same frame. The pink rectangles are the same size based on plate details. I couldn't use the plate itself because of the plate frames.

Granted, these pictures are not from the same angle but they're close enough. The mirrors on the current Model S in the top picture clear the body, but intersect the body on the bottom pic.

I think the tail lights on the new *may* be shorter vertically, promoting the illusion of width. I like that the chrome doesn't spear the tail lights anymore but that should really be body color. The new rear diffuser also looks slightly narrower, giving an illusion of more width as well. The car may be slightly wider, but not by a lot.

HwYpdAh.jpg

Last edited:
Granted, these pictures are not from the same angle but they're close enough. The mirrors on the current Model S in the top picture clear the body, but intersect the body on the bottom pic.

HwYpdAh.jpg
Again that is just the angle the pics were shot at. The one at the top was shot from a closer and higher angle.

It's interesting to see how many folks on this thread "are seeing" a very different car. Is that how badly we want a refresh?? This is too funny.

Reactions: moa999