Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just took out the $100 insurance policy on a new Performance S to see how this shakes out. I figure it’s worth losing the $100 deposit for the option of locking in current pricing since it seems a substantial refresh may be imminent. I’d prefer to buy an Inventory S if it offers a substantial savings to the refresh model, so if those prices drop and there are any left, I’ll cancel this order and jump on the inventory S. So far the pricing on Inventory S’s haven’t been affected.

I was thinking about this, but IF they raised the price, thy wouldn't rush the stores to get rid of existing inventory bc people can pick between a cheaper non refreshed vs paying more for a refreshed.

I was thinking about this, but IF they raised the price, thy wouldn't rush the stores to get rid of existing inventory bc people can pick between a cheaper non refreshed vs paying more for a refreshed.

That assumes most people would take the “old” Model S for the cheaper price vs the “refreshed” model at the increased price. I think just the opposite. Most people would prefer (at least at this price point for a vehicle) the latest and greatest especially with the target demo being so tech-driven. I would think Tesla assumes this and is more fearful of having to drastically slash prices on remaining inventory to move the old cars once people see the refresh. Ultimately it would all depend on the price difference between the two models, I suppose. As they diverge, the old model looks more and more attractive. At least to me ‘cause I’m a cheap SOB and don’t care about having the latest and greatest.

Any chance you could post a screenshot?
upload_2021-1-18_12-12-17.png

Not sure, but looks to me like it's referring to the lease details (i.e. pricing or rates are what they're disclaiming, not necessarily the car)

View attachment 628617

Not sure, but looks to me like it's referring to the lease details (i.e. pricing or rates are what they're disclaiming, not necessarily the car)
You're quick, thanks for having my back (before Tesla gets wind of it and removes it?)
I interpreted it as referring to the photos of the car but it could very easily have referred to the lease details.
So probably a red herring in terms of the refresh.

What a surprise and a delight it would be if ModelS had structural 4680s next month:)

Why does the S pack have to be structural? The S was designed for 90 second battery SWAP before the Super Chargers became the way. There is a video on Tesla site of doing 93 second swaps, racing an ICE car filling up at a gas station. (S won, of course).

Sure the new 3/Y could have structural packs, but do 4680s HAVE to be structural? Maybe just a new pack that fits into the space where the swapable pack went.

Why does the S pack have to be structural? The S was designed for 90 second battery SWAP before the Super Chargers became the way. There is a video on Tesla site of doing 93 second swaps, racing an ICE car filling up at a gas station. (S won, of course).

Sure the new 3/Y could have structural packs, but do 4680s HAVE to be structural? Maybe just a new pack that fits into the space where the swapable pack went.
I can’t see Tesla going back to battery swapping especially since the 4680s will take a faster charge than the 18650s.

Reactions: phantasms

from what I saw in the battery day presentation the cells alone are not enough to reach the power and energy/ weigh ratios for Plaid, that’s why. That aside Tesla would do it anyway now that they’re investing in the design and production ecosystem of structural packs. Agreed that s was designed for battery swap but that’s probably no longer prioritized. Consider it an experiment of the past.

Reactions: phantasms
I can’t see Tesla going back to battery swapping especially since the 4680s will take a faster charge than the 18650s.
I don't think @FirstInTown was saying they will be doing battery swaps {for recharging on the road}. He was saying that they could have a 4680 battery pack that isn't structural. This would allow non-plaid S to have 4680 cells now and older cars could eventually be upgraded to use 4680 packs once Tesla stops making 18650 cell-based battery packs.

No, no I was just pointing out the S design has a pack that is NOT structural, it can be swapped, even though that never occurs. So can't the pack be made with 4680s and put in the place of the existing pack and NOT be structural, just bolted in like now? Seems like making the pack a built-in structure of the car is a MAJOR redesign. Makes sense on high volume, but S/X harder to justify total redesign to make structural.

I don't think @FirstInTown was saying they will be doing battery swaps {for recharging on the road}. He was saying that they could have a 4680 battery pack that isn't structural. This would allow non-plaid S to have 4680 cells now and older cars could eventually be upgraded to use 4680 packs once Tesla stops making 18650 cell-based battery packs.

Yes, exactly, but never even thought of the upgrade path on existing cars. Mind blowing compared to ICE manufactures. ICE never let you factory upgrade your Chevy 305 to a 350 in 90 seconds. Aftermarket, sure can swap ICE engine. Will that occur as a paid upgrade on Teslas? Or aftermarket upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.