Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come to Belgium: small country but lot of Tesla X&S... ;-)
And good beer.

Just to be clear, I assume people who are US-based aren't against electronic mirrors on principle that you can't partake of them yet? I think if Tesla would adopt it (as an OPTION) then it would help push through legislation in the US also. Good for all.
Not against it, as long as they're not dependent on an MCU.
Should be a self-contained and unit with redundancy.

Reactions: thebishop
Just to be clear, I assume people who are US-based aren't against electronic mirrors on principle that you can't partake of them yet? I think if Tesla would adopt it (as an OPTION) then it would help push through legislation in the US also. Good for all.

Not sure about that "good for all." I have watched two videos with reviews of European cars that have the video side mirrors, one was an Audi e-Tron and the other was another car (forget which), and both reviews had complaints about the video mirrors. As I recall, one issue was reflections off the inside screens causing visibility issues, and another was that the outside cameras were more sensitive to dirt and glare than mirrors would be. Another comment was that the Audi positioned the inside monitors poorly for the driver to see them across the cabin. So I wonder if they are really the "wonderful new thing" that people expect.
A mirror is a pretty simple device, and camera/monitor combo is not so simple...I like the engineering principle of KISS ("Keep It Simple, Stupid") ...

Not sure about that "good for all." I have watched two videos with reviews of European cars that have the video side mirrors, one was an Audi e-Tron and the other was another car (forget which), and both reviews had complaints about the video mirrors. As I recall, one issue was reflections off the inside screens causing visibility issues, and another was that the outside cameras were more sensitive to dirt and glare than mirrors would be. Another comment was that the Audi positioned the inside monitors poorly for the driver to see them across the cabin. So I wonder if they are really the "wonderful new thing" that people expect.
A mirror is a pretty simple device, and camera/monitor combo is not so simple...I like the engineering principle of KISS ("Keep It Simple, Stupid") ...

Have tested an E-tron with them, was basically mirrors that you could see the blind spot in if you angled them correctly. So I have no problems with them and would gladly see them, especially if Tesla could make it so the camera is on the front fender and not on sticks.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
From what I have seen of the supposed update, I am disappointed (at least with the exterior). The changes are minor and I find it all very underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, the Model S is the best looking car Tesla makes other than the soon to be Roadster 2.0 (in my opinion). But really? Come on Tesla, you could be a bit more adventurous. Well, here's hoping for a radical change to the interior at least if the "leaked/spy-shots" photos so far are true.... :(

From what I have seen of the supposed update, I am disappointed (at least with the exterior). The changes are minor and I find it all very underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, the Model S is the best looking car Tesla makes other than the soon to be Roadster 2.0 (in my opinion). But really? Come on Tesla, you could be a bit more adventurous. Well, here's hoping for a radical change to the interior at least if the "leaked/spy-shots" photos so far are true.... :(

Unless you’ve seen something that I haven’t, I don’t believe anyone outside of a few key people within Tesla know exactly what’s coming/not coming. The web is rampant with speculation, a few poor quality “spy” shots, multiple speculative renderings and the like but nothing concrete nor wholly accurate. So, don’t be disappointed—reality is not yet upon us (but hopefully it’s close)!

In Franz we trust!

Stay healthy!

Last edited:

Do you follow car development/release of other brands? These are almost certainly test mules. Did you ever see pics of the Porsche Taycan before they were publicly unveiled? They looked terrible. That's because they put body colored panels to hide the actual shapes and details; they even hid the look of the lights by putting stuff over them to make them look like old previous gen lights. Basically car companies are very good at hiding the look of their new cars until they are ready to unveil the car.

Reactions: FreqFlyer
Status
Not open for further replies.