Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, here is an idea. Get some plumbers epoxy from Home Depot, spray some cooking spray on the bolt and surrounding area.

Get a socket slightly larger than the bolt head, spray inside of socket then pack with the mixed epoxy ( it is a putty consistency )
Press filled socket over the bolt head to make good impression. Remove a let harden, this should be able to remove the bolt.

Plug should also come out of the socket.

Reactions: Reekdog
Why would they do that??

Good question.

Here's my guess.

Something happened during the crash testing of the new front end. Either someone screwed up from Tesla or from those in charge of the test. Either the license plate was put on and it shouldn't have been, or provisions weren't made to test with and without or something like this. And at the end of the day Tesla was caught in a situation that forced them bureaucratically to ship/deliver the cars with front license plates installed regardless of which state the car was sold into.

These cars are mfg delivered as opposed to others which are dealer delivered. I suspect that if there is a stipulation that cars have to be delivered as tested (such as with these plate holders), it applies to mfg. After mfg delivers to dealer, said dealer is free to do what they want.
No because the dealers are saying they can't do what they want. They aren't allowed to remove the plate bracket.

Stopped by at Tesla near my work and asked SA to remove the bottom 2 bolts only. Since they are not allowed to remove the whole thing, figure it's ok.

So SA removed the bolts under the frame and I am good to go.

I was told it is same bolt style as what's used for the batter pack.

I pick up my tesla o
Screenshot_20160604-081313.png
n the 13th. I am bringing a pair of 10-Inch Long 90-Degree Bent Long Nose Pliers with me. Hoping I can loosen the bolts with these. Will let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160604-081313.png
    302 KB · Views: 56
    302 KB · Views: 39
    302 KB · Views: 32
No because the dealers are saying they can't do what they want. They aren't allowed to remove the plate bracket.

There are no Tesla dealers... the service centers are all Tesla (the manufacturer)... therefore, they are not allowed to do whatever they want.

If it were a normal independent car dealer, then yes, they can do things the manufacturer can't do.

I pick up my tesla oView attachment 179338 n the 13th. I am bringing a pair of 10-Inch Long 90-Degree Bent Long Nose Pliers with me. Hoping I can loosen the bolts with these. Will let you know how it goes.

Good luck. I think it might be tough because there's only 5 points. If it were six then you would have recesses 180 degrees apart to grab across the center. With the 5 points the grab will be off-center. I guess it depends how tight it's bolted.

I had one idea...

Bring a bunch of conventional sockets (some said that 11/32" worked). Also bring some tinfoil. So, if the socket is loose on the bolt head push in some layers of tinfoil to help make up the gap and get a better grip.

As soon as I get the sample bolt, I will be making up that 3D model of a specific socket for this that can be 3D metal printed.

Just finished getting the screws out (sort of) on my new revised 90D. Good grief, what a pain. 11/32 didn't work (too big). 8mm was too small (just) and 9mm too big. Naturally. J. Anders tried your tin foil idea but couldn't make it work (foil not strong enough). Spent an hour with the 8mm socket and, degree by degree, finally got it out. The other side wouldn't grab at all so I just worried the bracket back and forth finally with success, without ripping anything.

Not a recommended solution! But the clean looking result was worth it.

BTW the crash test excuse is bogus. This is soft, pliable plastic folks. No way it would have any measurable impact on a two-ton vehicle impacting something.

This is my 2nd S and am loving it!

Just finished getting the screws out (sort of) on my new revised 90D. Good grief, what a pain. 11/32 didn't work (too big). 8mm was too small (just) and 9mm too big. Naturally. J. Anders tried your tin foil idea but couldn't make it work (foil not strong enough). Spent an hour with the 8mm socket and, degree by degree, finally got it out. !

Thank you for listing all the things that I do not need to try now. Do you think a pair of 90° needle nose would work as suggested by myself and others?