Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually the plate is glued on and screwed on with safety screws for which there may be no available removal tool. Apparently it is possible to just rip the plate mount away from the two screws below the bumper (destroying the plate mount) and then remove the screws with pliers.

Or just wait until the printed security socket is available ... :cool:

Since this was the primary thread about the license plate holder I thought I would add the following...
The screws on the bottom are non-standard security screws that have a 5-point (not standard 6) star shape in the style of a Torx Plus. I've searched high and low and no one makes a socket to fit these weirdo screws.

So, I am getting some of these screws shortly and intend to design a 3D printed metal socket insert to solve this problem. I will give this CAD model to anyone and I'll also post this on www.shapeways.com

It should be reasonably inexpensive printed out of stainless steel because it will be so small. I'll keep everyone posted. One way or another I'm not planning to leave with the car with that front plate bracket attached.

Great idea ... I am interested in the 5 point socket.

20160422_183514-jpg.178574

So has anyone managed to remove the bracket without damage? My hunch is that if the screws are not too tight they could be removed with a 90° bent needle nose plier.

I think pliers would work if there was an even number of lobes or points. Pliers can grip 180 degrees apart. There's a reason why 5 point fasteners are used for security.

Hang tight. I'm going to push this through so I'm ready for my delivery in June.

Which seems like a total BS answer to me. Is this to say it was a total screw-up by Tesla to test with the bracket on as opposed to off?

Has anyone actually seen the law that the DS's claim prevents them from removing the license holder? I've been been a lawyer for 20 years and can't imagine that there is any such law that would preclude them from removing the holder after delivery. I can (almost) understand having to deliver it with the holder but after we show up to get the car we should be able to tell them to remove it.

Has anyone actually seen the law that the DS's claim prevents them from removing the license holder? I've been been a lawyer for 20 years and can't imagine that there is any such law that would preclude them from removing the holder after delivery. I can (almost) understand having to deliver it with the holder but after we show up to get the car we should be able to tell them to remove it.

I was told it was "Tesla policy." Might have the same effect on the average 22 year old Tesla employee. I would have no problem refusing delivery on the vehicle if the bracket was attached. We have never had front license plates in my state.

I recall someone on here claiming that Tesla had performed crash testing with the plate on and so they were forced to include it.

That's the "story". Seems strange to me. First, I can't imagine the plate holder making any significant difference. Second, why wouldn't they leave it off for the test? Or do all car companies need to test with and without plates/brackets?
I'm not sure if it's a requirement but I do seem to remember tests involving low speed contact with the bumpers and associated costs of repair. It may indeed be that without the front bracket the metal hood makes contact first and causes great deal more cost with low speed front end contact.

Well done!

Well I guess we have an answer and not too difficult.
Facelift MS with front license plate holder removed & rear debadged

So the front plate is held on by two screws that I don't have the name for in a star pattern. The pattern isn't one of the obvious ones that comes in those kits from Harbor Freight. Thankfully an 11/32 socket gives just enough grip that a gentle push will loosen them and then you can screw them out by hand. This is the screw:
View media item 115142