Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems bizarre to me to make lots of changes to the "premium" Model S...to make it much more like the 'cheaper' Model 3.

I actually think the Model 3 interior feels more premium in many ways than the old Model S. So I for one welcome the refreshed interior. Only question mark for me is the steering wheel. I think the rest of the interior update looks great. I agree the exterior needed more work, but I guess it was a compromise on cost. I’m not sure how long Tesla can drag out this 2012 design?

If the supercharger network is opened up significantly then I’m out. Porsche or Merc perhaps. I do like that crazy new screen proposed for the merc.

I can put up with some of Tesla peculiarities (e.g not checking cars over before handover) but it’s superchargers that makes me think twice about swapping. Surely Porsche customer service is better than Tesla for one.

If the supercharger network is opened up significantly then I’m out. Porsche or Merc perhaps. I do like that crazy new screen proposed for the merc.

I can put up with some of Tesla peculiarities (e.g not checking cars over before handover) but it’s superchargers that makes me think twice about swapping. Surely Porsche customer service is better than Tesla for one.
Given they can raise cash at will at the current company valuation not investing is quality control seems nuts. It will come back and bite them. They have no problem now as there is no competition, but that will change. Even supercharger network edge won’t last forever. They have gone too far down the FSD rabbit hole unfortunately.

I actually think the Model 3 interior feels more premium in many ways than the old Model S. So I for one welcome the refreshed interior. Only question mark for me is the steering wheel. I think the rest of the interior update looks great. I agree the exterior needed more work, but I guess it was a compromise on cost. I’m not sure how long Tesla can drag out this 2012 design?
Completely agree, I'm still amazed how well it has stood up to time for around 9 years now.

Completely agree, I'm still amazed how well it has stood up to time for around 9 years now.

Yes I think it has aged remarkably well. I was in an old pre-facelift S85D today and that reminded me how much they have actually developed the S over all those years. This car was very rough inside and looked awful without the centre console. Plastic trims looked and felt a lot cheaper than current cars too. The screen also looked like a cheap laptop display from the same period! Going from this to a 2021 M3 was a real eye-opener! The major interior refresh makes sense to me. The exterior design still looks pretty good as it’s a fairly timeless design. New headlights and tailights will probably make a big difference. But realistically they still need an all-new car to compete much beyond 2022.

And from the Australian (also RHD) section:

A friend of mine was supposed to be picking their Model X up but it got pushed back due to a fault with the car pre-delivery and then lockdown. They just had this text from Tesla today:

Tesla Update - We'd like to extend you the opportunity to update your order to the all-new Model X and honour your existing Full Self-Driving price if originally configured. If you upgrade by February 28, 2021, you'll receive £2,000 off the new purchase price and be one of the first to receive the all-new Model X. Tesla Advisor will proactively reach out in coming days. Your reference is...

Don't understand the logic at all of opening the supercharger network up to competitors. Right now that could be a deciding factor in certain mindsets, certainly against the Taycan. It is rapidly going to become Tesla's last remaining USP as time goes on.
Got to agree with this. The supercharger network makes the Tesla by far the best EV for long range driving. It’s far from perfect but I’ve come across much more faults with public chargers than super chargers and it’s so quick and convenient. As I mentioned before out of spec motoring beat their Tesla cannonball record in a Taycan. The only thing they were worried about was the charging network. They had quite a few problems with slow handshakes, faulty units and the car asking for too much power then stopping charging. I really don’t think Tesla should open it up.

Reactions: ChrisA70
There is also the issue of Tesla purchasers having bought their cars to a large extent on the basis of having exclusive access to the SC network. It's far more valuable to me than the flaky autopilot. Opening the network up to the hoi polloi would remove in one fell swoop one of the huge advantages Tesla has at the moment.....if you could afford a Tesla or Porsche and both had access to the SC network what are you going to buy? I am not being exclusive about this for the sake of it. All EV drivers need access to charging points and it is going to be a massive job to keep up with demand going forwards but the way things are going SCs will be swamped by Teslas alone let alone any third party vehicles.
On a connected point does anyone know if Tesla from day one kept a door open for opening up the SC network to third party vehicles in the small print?

Taycan is a gen 1 product, so I would expect its depreciation to be pretty savage. That being said, there are plenty of people who - at that end of the market - want to be seen in a Porsche or commensurate badge. If nothing is stopping them doing that on a practical level - and ability to charge conveniently is a big plus - then why wouldn't they just buy a Taycan / Macan EV?

I personally think Tesla have far more to lose from white labelling supercharger access than they have to gain from the revenue from actual charging.

Taycan is a gen 1 product, so I would expect its depreciation to be pretty savage. That being said, there are plenty of people who - at that end of the market - want to be seen in a Porsche or commensurate badge. If nothing is stopping them doing that on a practical level - and ability to charge conveniently is a big plus - then why wouldn't they just buy a Taycan / Macan EV?

I personally think Tesla have far more to lose from white labelling supercharger access than they have to gain from the revenue from actual charging.

Porsche are masters at restricting supply to keep residuals strong. I expect Taycan residuals will be very high unless they flood the market with them, which is highly unlikely.

There is also the issue of Tesla purchasers having bought their cars to a large extent on the basis of having exclusive access to the SC network. It's far more valuable to me than the flaky autopilot. Opening the network up to the hoi polloi would remove in one fell swoop one of the huge advantages Tesla has at the moment.....if you could afford a Tesla or Porsche and both had access to the SC network what are you going to buy? I am not being exclusive about this for the sake of it. All EV drivers need access to charging points and it is going to be a massive job to keep up with demand going forwards but the way things are going SCs will be swamped by Teslas alone let alone any third party vehicles.
On a connected point does anyone know if Tesla from day one kept a door open for opening up the SC network to third party vehicles in the small print?

I always thought Elon offered to share the Supercharger network costs with other manufacturers from day 1, but none showed any interest. But don’t quote me on that, it could be wrong.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well, Elon is no fool. If he does open up the SuC network (I find it highly unlikely), there will be something to be gained from it medium to long term. The money he is likely to make from it is small change in the grand scheme of things.
It would not be unreasonable to negotiate reciprocity with other ubiquitous, high powered charger networks à la Ionity (as an example).

I would have a Taycan over a Model S any day of the week regardless of range difference, the fact a Taycan is now cheaper than a Model S is utterly nuts. You need to be in love with Elon to buy a S over a Taycan at current price levels.
Not in love with Elon, but personally I'd take the S every day of the week over a Porsche:). My colleague is a Porshe fanatic, too well off, and has run various Porsche models continuously for the last 26 years and I've driven all of them on business trips. Fast, great handling (although I just don't trust the 911), but the inside just drives me nuts. Utterly boring germanic dull dull dull. Never understood the fuss. Personally I would take a BMW with cream leather interior, but the new S looks very nice inside.